Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 07:47 AM

2,979 posts, read 3,986,592 times

Advertisements

Twenty-two months ago, I TNR'd two adult kitties and brought them to the shelter for neutering/spaying. I quickly learned that the female cat was NOT feral and she became our Lucy and lives with us.

Lucy had had a litter of kittens, but despite my attempts I could not trap any of them. One of them, whom we named Diamond, came once in a while for food. He disappeared for nearly a year, and I sadly thought he had died.

A few months ago he started coming daily--and I got him on the list for TNR at the local shelter. I gained some trust and was able to pick him up briefly. This morning I was able to put him in a carrier (only getting one scratch) and he is at the shelter today for neutering!

Hooray! While he doesn't understand it, his life is about to get so much better. No more fighting, spraying, or making kittens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 09:27 AM

31,000 posts, read 16,571,773 times
good for you, Rene.

and good for him too.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
good for you, Rene.

and good for him too.
It is a strange feeling. He is not "our" cat, but I care about him and hope all goes well with surgery.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:05 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,524,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
It is a strange feeling. He is not "our" cat, but I care about him and hope all goes well with surgery.
Congrats on being able to get him in. You've no doubt added years to his life.

Ya' did good Rene.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:45 PM

27,073 posts, read 12,090,515 times
Yes, good work! He'll be so much happier now.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:34 PM

25,367 posts, read 11,757,405 times
How is everybody?

Old 10-22-2018, 08:03 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,723,422 times
Are you bringing him home after surgery and trying to socialize him? Or just releasing back outside? Kudos to you for stepping up and doing the right thing. Hope he settles down and you can keep him.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Are you bringing him home after surgery and trying to socialize him? Or just releasing back outside? Kudos to you for stepping up and doing the right thing. Hope he settles down and you can keep him.
I picked him up after surgery and put him in our enclosed porch. He had cryptorchid (one of the testicles was in his abdomen and he needed stitches to remove it) so I'd hoped to keep him in there a day or two.

However, after letting him out, he panicked and was climbing the blinds, falling, jumping everywhere, just trying to escape. I was afraid he'd hurt himself! I managed to get him back in the carrier and kept him there overnight. He did eat several cans of food. This morning, he would not eat the food I left for him, so I decided to release him in our backyard.

I admit I had some hope of seeing if he could become a pet. But, I figured it was unlikely. It took me two years before I gained enough trust to pick him up (outdoors) and now, neuter him. He is wary of all humans and, being that he's around 3, there's little hope of changing him.

He received a neuter, a rabies shot, and an ear notch. He will get fed anytime he comes to our house. I think he lives a couple of blocks away, but i'm not entirely sure.

It is a strange feeling to care about cats like these. You know you're helping, but you wish the outcome were different.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:20 AM

6,275 posts, read 4,717,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I picked him up after surgery and put him in our enclosed porch. He had cryptorchid (one of the testicles was in his abdomen and he needed stitches to remove it) so I'd hoped to keep him in there a day or two.

However, after letting him out, he panicked and was climbing the blinds, falling, jumping everywhere, just trying to escape. I was afraid he'd hurt himself! I managed to get him back in the carrier and kept him there overnight. He did eat several cans of food. This morning, he would not eat the food I left for him, so I decided to release him in our backyard.

I admit I had some hope of seeing if he could become a pet. But, I figured it was unlikely. It took me two years before I gained enough trust to pick him up (outdoors) and now, neuter him. He is wary of all humans and, being that he's around 3, there's little hope of changing him.

He received a neuter, a rabies shot, and an ear notch. He will get fed anytime he comes to our house. I think he lives a couple of blocks away, but i'm not entirely sure.

It is a strange feeling to care about cats like these. You know you're helping, but you wish the outcome were different.
It can change over time. It probably won't if he lives outdoors, but it could happen. We all know how much good you did for him even if he never figures it out. Though sometimes it's the anesthesia - it makes them paranoid for a while. I hope you'll be able to pick him up again now that he'll be a calmer guy in general. That may have to be your relationship peak with him. Not so bad, really, for a feral.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
It can change over time. It probably won't if he lives outdoors, but it could happen. We all know how much good you did for him even if he never figures it out. Though sometimes it's the anesthesia - it makes them paranoid for a while. I hope you'll be able to pick him up again now that he'll be a calmer guy in general. That may have to be your relationship peak with him. Not so bad, really, for a feral.
He's made decent progress with my husband and I. We know how powerful of a motivator food is, so we talk to him and let him approach us before feeding. He even headbutts my husband's hands now (he seems more wary of males).

I just hope he knows our house is a safe haven (and food).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats