Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 03:18 PM

531 posts, read 452,335 times

Advertisements

My cat is bothered by fleas at this time of year but refuses to wear a flea collar, even the expensive Bayer one. I tried the flea-hormone topical medicine several years ago and it either worked, eventually, or the flea season ended, I don't know which. Is there something (besides a flea collar) that works for your pet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 03:22 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
FRontline should work.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:30 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Collars don't work and they are toxic besides. use a safe, purchased from the vet, spot on like Frontline Plus, Revolution or Advantage. You will need to treat your home also. Get the frontline spray (it's safe to use around cats) you will have to vacuum daily, wash all bedding and so on.

Put a flea collar in the vacuum cleaner, it MIGHT kill a flea or two.

Please don't delay treating your cat, fleas can can kill a cat..and they certainly make the cat's life miserable.

PS Feed your cat a species appropriate diet, if you aren't already. Wet food only, food high in meat and not a lot of fillers. Healthy cats are better able to fight off fleas.

Your cat will also need to be dewormed. If you use the Revolution or Advantage multi spot on on him, you will need only droncit for tape worm (the spot on will kill any hook or round worms) If you use frontline plus you will need drontal, to kill all worms.

Fleas cause tapeworms in cats, but if he goes outside, he is likely to be carrying hook and/or roundworms also..

Old 08-02-2017, 03:48 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
I put Frontline on them, and also dust the area they sleep with diatomaceous earth. No problems at all. Haven't seen a flea in years!

I really like diatomaceous earth - it's cheap and lasts forever and seems to be very effective - I put it along the door to the basement and it keeps other bugs out, too!

Old 08-02-2017, 04:03 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I put Frontline on them, and also dust the area they sleep with diatomaceous earth. No problems at all. Haven't seen a flea in years!

I really like diatomaceous earth - it's cheap and lasts forever and seems to be very effective - I put it along the door to the basement and it keeps other bugs out, too!
To clarify, that is Food Grade DE. There are other kinds, not safe for this kind of use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats