Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 07:47 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,926,767 times

Advertisements

I ordered a live trap from Amazon--a Black Friday special--that should arrive tomorrow. I'll pick up some sardines and Fancy Feast (I've read that FF is well liked) this week. I plan to set up the trap with the door wired open starting later this week. My week-long appointment with the humane society starts next Monday.

Have not seen the kittens in more than a week. I hope mom hasn't moved them. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 05:15 PM

664 posts, read 1,028,194 times
We have trapped many cats over the yrs. I find a plate of tuna fish always works. Then they are off to the vet. We have made out door shelters for them in the winter.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:42 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
I've used pink salmon from-the $.99 store, and you can actually smell it outside the can. That worked for the last ones, but for the last five I tried nice, smelly mackerel, and that didn't work. Next will be sardines and Church's Chicken. There's no KFC close by, but there's a Church's Chicken on the way over, and it's just as bad as KFC.

And I'll try to find something to put over the traps.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:21 AM

UPDATE: My trap from Amazon arrived, and I'm disappointed that it's much smaller than I expected (the description said it was for a cat, argh). However, a neighbor loaned me a larger one, and I wired both open and put them out this morning, with bowls of food just inside the door. The plan is to slowly move the food back a little each day. I'll withhold food on Saturday, then set them Sunday afternoon and cross my fingers.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:51 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,262,034 times
Crossing my fingers, too! I use the raccoon-sized Hav-A-Hart traps.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:50 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,608,680 times
I have four of the "Heavy Duty 30D" traps from this company: Small Animal Traps | Tru Catch Traps
They work great. I see they have a style called "fat cat" now, which might be good.

Here's crossing my fingers for you that you don't get a possum or raccoon and have to figure out what to do with it.

Good luck to you and everyone trying to TNR!

Old 12-01-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I have four of the "Heavy Duty 30D" traps from this company: Small Animal Traps | Tru Catch Traps
They work great. I see they have a style called "fat cat" now, which might be good.

Here's crossing my fingers for you that you don't get a possum or raccoon and have to figure out what to do with it.

Good luck to you and everyone trying to TNR!
I am always hoping I don't get a skunk! So far, that hasn't happened, thank goodness.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:32 AM

Update: DH and I talked to some neighbors last night. The situation is much more grim than I realized. There are FIVE kittens and they are 4-6 months old, so they will have to be TNR'd instead of adopted out. These neighbors were trying to work with another neighbor (where the litter was), but he refused help and won't allow them on the property. This is a couple of streets away from us.

However, two of the kittens were waiting near the traps this morning, so there is hope I can catch them. Going to buy another trap today. I am stocked with stinky food too.

It angers me that this guy had the litter on his property and did nothing. Now all I can do is stop the breeding. Sigh

Old 12-02-2016, 05:28 PM

Waiting near the traps is a good sign!!!! I am keeping my fingers crossed. Yes, at 4-6 months old, it is extremely difficult to tame a feral. I have only done it once. He is sleeping on my kitchen table right next to me.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:40 AM

80 posts, read 70,326 times
How did it go? I have never TNR'd but in the house we bought, we inherited a colony of...geez, probably 10-12? TNR cats. The woman who lived here previously TNR'd them, and I have no idea how she did so many. It is really amazing and our neighborhood seems to take good care of these kitties. There are a few of us who feed them (my cat food bill has quadroupled LOL) and I often see them lounging in yards during the day etc, it's really nice how people on my block have seemingly accepted them. they are all very friendly, there are folks who have in/outdoor cats and they will relax with the TNR'd ones too. It's scary though how many MORE there would be if this other woman hadn't taken the initiative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats