Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 10:48 AM
KB4 KB4 started this thread

1,032 posts, read 1,640,995 times

Advertisements

We moved from an apartment to a house this year. Now that the weather has warmed up, we spend a lot of time outside on the deck. Very often this means that our (indoor only) cat is sitting inside the sliding doors and meowing. He's tried to slip out a couple of times and ran under the deck and wouldn't come out for a while even when offered a treat. I definitely don't want to encourage that! I know that some people get a cage or a harness, which allows the cat to join the family outside, but I'm worried if that might encourage him even more to try to get outside all the time. What do you do with your cats? Do you think that taking him outside in a cage or on a leash would make him beg to go outside all the time? He is a bit wary of the outside right now because he's not familiar with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 11:21 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Kitty will learn that harness or enclosure will mean outside time with you, and other times no outside time.

A harness can take time to adjust to, but once the cat understands that harness on means out on the deck with family he will adjust to it.

Your other option is to cat proof the deck so he is safe on it. Screen it in? I wish my porch was screened in but I rent and doing it myself was beyond my ability, so I cat proofed it with deer fence netting. Some people might find that not aesthetically pleasing.

If you can't cat poof the deck would go with the harness training, but if he can't tolerate that or keeps trying to run away from the deck, you may have to use one of those little cat tents.

This here's a view of what I did with my porch (it's a second floor level)
Attached Thumbnails
Family outside, cat inside?-dsc04552.jpg   Family outside, cat inside?-dsc07845.jpg  

Old 06-12-2016, 12:07 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
My cat has a cage she uses without us there, and a tie out for when someone's out with her, and in her case it made her *stop* trying to slip outside. And now if she's on her tie out and I tell her I'm going in the house, she walks into the crate on her own. She seems to know she's safer there.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:10 PM

Thanks! You have encouraged me to try a leash or a crate. Because of the way the deck is built I don't think enclosing it is an option. A stupid question: do cats get fleas from other animals or just from walking in the grass? We never worried about ticks or fleas because the cat has always been inside only.

Great catio, CatsMom! Is that a nettle next to the cats?

Old 06-15-2016, 04:00 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
Thanks! You have encouraged me to try a leash or a crate. Because of the way the deck is built I don't think enclosing it is an option. A stupid question: do cats get fleas from other animals or just from walking in the grass? We never worried about ticks or fleas because the cat has always been inside only.

That's a pot of catnip

As for fleas, it really depends, do you have a lot of wildlife running through there, and possibly on the deck? Neighborhood cats roaming?

Even when I take them, (harnessed) out in their fenced yard with grass and gardens I never treated for fleas. If she's staying on the deck I wouldn't worry about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Family outside, cat inside?-dsc08447.jpg  

Old 06-15-2016, 06:52 AM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
That's a pot of catnip

As for fleas, it really depends, do you have a lot of wildlife running through there, and possibly on the deck? Neighborhood cats roaming?

Even when I take them, (harnessed) out in their fenced yard with grass and gardens I never treated for fleas. If she's staying on the deck I wouldn't worry about it.
Your furries have it made in the shade:>)

Old 06-15-2016, 11:34 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:

That might depend on how prevalent fleas/ticks are in your area, and as Catsmom said, how many other critters are roaming your property. If you have the climate that those parasites thrive in, it could be an issue, even though he's in the house or confined to the deck. Fleas and ticks can hitch a ride on your clothing and come into your living area that way. If you have neighbors around with pets, you take a poll of them to see if they've had flea issues. If not, you might get by without treating your cat if his outdoor exposure is limited.
In my area fleas/ticks are a problem, and I've had them get out of control in the past. My 3 girls are 98% indoor only. They get outdoor time on the porch with me and almost never leave it except to munch on the grass once in a while. Even that limited exposure is enough, and I keep them treated year-round. I've had to de-flea my house twice in the past, and I can tell you it's not fun. So I treat them as a 'just in case' thing.

Edit to add; I live next door to heavily wooded railroad property, and I have a wide variety of critters visiting on a regular basis. That, and the climate here, no doubt ups my parasite risk significantly.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:28 PM

Hahaha, catnip. I didn't even think of it. I've only seen it in dry powder form, although it is very popular with the cat. Maybe we'll try growing some.

The deer sometimes do come up to the house. We also have squirrels and chipmunks and my husband saw a possum the other day. And the birds, they are super loud and keep the cat entertained. Do birds have fleas - I never thought about it. I'll see how it goes without flea medication and take it from there.

Thanks again all.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:01 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Hahaha, catnip. I didn't even think of it. I've only seen it in dry powder form, although it is very popular with the cat. Maybe we'll try growing some.

The deer sometimes do come up to the house. We also have squirrels and chipmunks and my husband saw a possum the other day. And the birds, they are super loud and keep the cat entertained. Do birds have fleas - I never thought about it. I'll see how it goes without flea medication and take it from there.

Thanks again all.
Don't know for sure about birds having fleas, but the other critters you mentioned most likely do.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:16 PM

352 posts, read 285,768 times
We made a large enclosure for our cats and I sit in there with them on a swing that they also use to snooze on. It has a roof over a section of the enclosure for shade. There are squirrels and birds to watch with lots of tall grasses, catnip and bushes. Birds do get mites in fact I was told the mites can get in your house and cause problems if you have a bird feeder too close to the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats