Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 12:40 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,926,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Thank you for all of that! I've tried playing with my cats but they couldn't care less. They don't interact with one another much either. I got the younger one when the older one was already 7 years old and they never did take to one another. They don't mind sharing my bed sometimes but mostly ignore one another.

The weight loss has been slow. It's been two months but I can just tell she's lost some.
Keep trying to play with them. Do you have a wand toy, something like Da Bird? Most cats LOVE that one.

They aren't too "old" to play. Our Benny is nearing 16 and loves to play. (It's just for a shorter duration.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 08:50 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
I think things are going to be okay. My cats LOVE FF Classics. I'm giving each one a can a day...half in the AM and the other half in the PM. I am leaving 'some' dry food in their bowls and they are actually eating it! I keep thinking a can a day isn't much but with the added dry stuff it seems to do the trick. I still have dry food left so have to use it up. I'm just relieved to see them eating again!

Far as 'play'...they like boxes more than anything so there are several around for them. They crack me up just watching them sometimes. They DO have all sorts of little toys...mice, balls, etc. but don't seem all that interested in them anymore. Should maybe get a few new ones.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:00 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I think things are going to be okay. My cats LOVE FF Classics. I'm giving each one a can a day...half in the AM and the other half in the PM. I am leaving 'some' dry food in their bowls and they are actually eating it! I keep thinking a can a day isn't much but with the added dry stuff it seems to do the trick. I still have dry food left so have to use it up. I'm just relieved to see them eating again!

Far as 'play'...they like boxes more than anything so there are several around for them. They crack me up just watching them sometimes. They DO have all sorts of little toys...mice, balls, etc. but don't seem all that interested in them anymore. Should maybe get a few new ones.
I'm glad they like the fancy feast classics!

No, 3 oz a day is not enough food for an adult cat. You really need to get rid of the dry and feed them wet only. If you are feeding only twice a day (though 3 meals a day is better, as 12 hours is a long time to go without food and you may start seeing bile pukes) a can each in the morning and a can each in the evening. Monitor their weight, and if either are losing too fast, increase the amount slightly.

Cats need their imagination stimulated by the human. I've never had a cat lose interest in play. All the toys you can fit in the home won't matter, if you don't play with them yourself every day.

They need forts and posts and things to jump and climb on. Box Forts, paper bag forts, shelves on the wall, or tall bookcases....there are so many ways to enrich the environment an stimulate a cat both mentally and physically.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:10 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,926,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I'm glad they like the fancy feast classics!

No, 3 oz a day is not enough food for an adult cat. You really need to get rid of the dry and feed them wet only. If you are feeding only twice a day (though 3 meals a day is better, as 12 hours is a long time to go without food and you may start seeing bile pukes) a can each in the morning and a can each in the evening. Monitor their weight, and if either are losing too fast, increase the amount slightly.
ITA that just one can per day for larger cats is not enough food. We have two small cats (one 8 lb and one 9 lb) and they would get each 1 can of FF classics per day. Our 11.8 lb guy gets two cans per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats