Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 07:06 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times

Advertisements

Any cat I ever had went splat when I attached a leash. Right to the floor.

But I had a Siamese who would walk on a leash and I used to take him for walks on the beach. He would also go hiking in the woods with me without any leash. Just followed me on the trails, across the log that went over the stream, round and about, and back to the car. Never ran away, just followed me.

If I ever get a non Siamese, I'll be sure to follow the instructions given above--thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 06:46 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
thanks for the tips!
You are welcome! Try to find the book. I think it is out of print but instructions for training your cat how to do many things are very detailed. He's even got how to train a cat to be hearing for the deaf and of course, how to train your cat to use the human toilet and flush afterwards.

It turns out cats have bigger brains than dogs commensurate with the size of their heads and are faster learners than dogs. To get them to obey, all you need to do is understand they need to know that there is a benefit to doing the trick (usually a food reward).

Here's an old video of my cat doing tricks and getting way too many food rewards. He'd gotten to where he'd do the easy ones without needing to be rewarded after each time he did it. This was back in the 1990s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8DHbzBy75I

Old 05-15-2016, 07:55 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,064 times
by accident, one of my cats was outside while i was just coming home from walking my dog. i took my dog round to the front of the house, and the cat followed me all the way to the back of the house. this is my boy cat. i don't know if my girl cat will do the same.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:13 AM

837 posts, read 1,711,720 times
I 'walk' my 9 month old kitten. I bought him a "Kitty Holster" and started putting it on him when he was about 3 months old. He hated it--went splat to the floor, looked like the will to live had been sapped from him.

But, this kitten was for the first several months quite wild--biting and scratching and very, very strong. Seemed angry about everything.
So, when I couldn't stop him from biting me, I put the Kitty Holster on him for a little while to calm him down. This first kitty holster is a bit small now and I only use it when I need to trim claws or put Soft Claws on him. (The latter has greatly improved our relationship--we are pretty good friends now.)

A couple of months ago, I got him a slightly larger Kitty Holster and when I put this one on him, I immediately take him outside on a leash. He loves it! He gets to smell the smells, chew the grass, and hear the birds up close. Walking him is primarily following him, although he will let me guide him a bit. I have seen a cat on a leash, in the city, no less trotting down a busy sidewalk with a group of people. That's my goal with Harvey.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:16 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times
Wow. I'd like to see five cats out walking outside on leashes and then all walk single file on command. That is impressive.

Speaking of impressive, look at these "circus" cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRaHCfFIRJM

Last edited by emilybh; 05-16-2016 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 01:31 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Wow. I'd like to see five cats out walking outside on leashes and then all walk single file on command. That is impressive.
We had a cat boarder in upstate NY who was clearly a cat whisperer of world class. Our somewhat finicky cat fell right into line. He would walk all the cats he was boarding at the same time...five or six of them all in a line single file. Had our cat two days when we were leaving and when we went past to make final arrangement for shipping the cat to our new home the cat was already into the line up and marching will all the buddies.

I would have considered doing it at all an achievement. But in two days? Wow.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:37 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
We boot em out in the am and they are ready to come back in when I get off work. I have a camera system and all they basically do is nap, switch chairs, nap, get a drink move to yet another chair nap some more.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:03 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
I use a harness. It takes a little bit for them to get used to it but they do and they learn to walk outside with it. My cat LOVES it!

Old 05-20-2016, 05:59 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
My cat loves walking around the garden. He eats grass, rolls around in the dirt, smells everything. We use a harness and leash, and when we take out of the cabinet he purrs furiously, it's the highlight of his day. We also have a screened in porch, and he loves it out there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats