Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:52 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times

Advertisements

LOL!!!
Litter of Kittens Busts into Maximum Security Prison | Pets - Yahoo Shine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 04:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
That's awesome!!!!!

I wish rescue groups would partner with prisons to foster feral kittens. They have time on their hands to socialize and feed them.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:13 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Oh little kitty babies!

Old 01-16-2014, 04:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
I guess I'm just too skeptical about inmates having any tenderness or compassion for anything or anyone to trust that they will care for these innocent souls and not harm them. If they do - that would be wonderful. But, playing nice is not what got them where they are in the first place. I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but I wouldn't want inmates around anyone or anything helpless and totally dependent upon them. The sooner those kitties bust out - the better!! I know I'm probably gonna wear the cone of shame for this one - but I have to say what I believe.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I guess I'm just too skeptical about inmates having any tenderness or compassion for anything or anyone to trust that they will care for these innocent souls and not harm them. If they do - that would be wonderful. But, playing nice is not what got them where they are in the first place. I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but I wouldn't want inmates around anyone or anything helpless and totally dependent upon them. The sooner those kitties bust out - the better!! I know I'm probably gonna wear the cone of shame for this one - but I have to say what I believe.
There are many inmates who aren't there for violent reasons.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:27 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
...I wish rescue groups would partner with prisons to foster feral kittens. They have time on their hands to socialize and feed them.
A few "correctional institutions" are now part of a program to train service dogs. Inmates who are carefully screened (key words here) are educated in how to do this while caring for a puppy. And at least in some cases I believe the pup can even be a cellmate! The reports I've read say that morale inevitably goes up and may result in the prisoner's being less likely to re-offend once their sentence has ended. (It seems to me there was a movie about this program in the not-too-distant past also.) For some reason being depended upon by an animal has a different effect on many people than being responsible for the well-being of humans - not excluding their own child(ren) - in their lives. Actually "some reason" isn't that hard to fathom. Dogs (as well as cats OF COURSE) make messes, get into mischief, and have to be kept supplied with food and water. But they offer boundless, unconditional affection and loyalty in return. Most people who've run afoul of the law respond to this the same way those of us on the outside do.

While it's true that many persons who injure or kill others got their start by mistreating animals, this is not always the case by far. And let's not forget those who are incarcerated for property-related and other non-violent crimes. A review of an inmate's record as well as a series of interviews would go a long way toward weeding out those who shouldn't be trusted with another creature in need. The main problem I see with expanding the above-mentioned guide dog training program, in addition to possibly extending pet foster care to prisons, is cost. The very thought of a tax increase - no matter if it's mere pennies - sends a certain faction over the edge. And then there would be the inevitable righteous wailing of, "THIS MAN BEAT MY DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AND DROVE HER INTO HIDING, AND HE'S GETTING A KITTEN???" Maybe I've answered my own question as to why these sorts of programs aren't a lot more widespread.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/doc/r...eviewfinal.pdf

Old 01-16-2014, 07:45 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
The Colorado Cell Dog program has been successful and is supported by the adoption fees and boarding costs for dogs whose owners feel they could use some additional training. https://www.coloradoci.com/servicepr...p=aboutDogsDiv

I think it's pretty great the kittens are being socialized and looked after by the inmates until they find a forever home.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
And then there would be the inevitable righteous wailing of, "THIS MAN BEAT MY DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AND DROVE HER INTO HIDING, AND HE'S GETTING A KITTEN???" Maybe I've answered my own question as to why these sorts of programs aren't a lot more widespread.
I think the problem with kittens and cats is they would be hard to contain with one prisoner because they can walk right through the bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
The Colorado Cell Dog program has been successful and is supported by the adoption fees and boarding costs for dogs whose owners feel they could use some additional training. https://www.coloradoci.com/servicepr...p=aboutDogsDiv
Thanks for sharing. Apparently many people don't have a problem with prisoners having access to their beloved pets since there's a 4 week waiting list to get a dog into the program. I love that they are working with privately owned dogs and rescuing dogs too.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks for sharing. Apparently many people don't have a problem with prisoners having access to their beloved pets since there's a 4 week waiting list to get a dog into the program. I love that they are working with privately owned dogs and rescuing dogs too.
I wouldn't let anyone have my dogs for four weeks; I'd miss them way too much and I know they'd miss me.

I think it would be very good for some prisoners to adopt dogs and cats in prison and keep them after they get out. I suspect it would dramatically reduce the recidivism rate for some prisoners. But I would not let violent prisoners nor drug addicts do it without thorough psychological testing and even then I'd keep a close watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats