Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Does your cat play fetch?

I just watched my husband train Bobbles to fetch in mere minutes.

They played fetch for almost 20 minutes.

What else can they be trained to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 07:56 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Our Charlie fetches. He even looks like a little puppy with the excitement and anticipation, watching your hand and which way you're going to throw it next. Of course his little head wobbles around because he is concentrating, due to the CH.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:43 AM

369 posts, read 759,932 times
Sort of. If Neptune wants to play and I throw him a toy, he will leap up to grab it. Or I'll toss a ball past him and he'll run after it. But he plays with the toys instead of bringing them back to me.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
That's why I was amazed. Within just a few minutes, my husband taught Bobbles to bring it back. He just called her back a few times. When she came back, she brought it with her and he threw it again. It was impressive that she caught on so quickly. It took longer to teach our dogs how to fetch (bring back).

Old 10-15-2013, 09:47 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I think all of my kitties (all seven of 'em!) play fetch. Einstein will play it as long as I am willing. Some of the others get bored with it pretty fast and go take a nap!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
My youngest used to play fetch, but he slowly "outgrew" the bringing-it-back part. He still loves his little green and white mouse that was our go-to fetch toy though. It is disgustingly dirty (so much so that I've posted about it before). I'm afraid washing it will ruin it for him. The grimy little thing turns up here and there all over the house, as he carries it from room to room. I hope Bobbles keeps it up, but get a video just in case! It will be a nice memory of her kittenhood.
ETA, now that I think of it, the fact that my other cats never played fetch may be why he stopped bringing it back. I play with them by going to where they have the toy to throw it again. So he may have thought, she does it for them so why am I doing all the work? lol But I'd play longer if I could stay in one spot! Mama isn't as young as she used to be.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,108 times
We had a cat that played fetch too. My Dad had trained his cat to stand on his hind legs and do a full turn. He would hold the treat up high and ask Duke to jump. He didn't jump but would stand and do the turn thing instead. They did it so much that Duke started to respond to the word jump. Duke would only do it for my Dad!

Old 10-15-2013, 01:34 PM

303 posts, read 540,050 times
Napoleon freakin' LOVES to play fetch. He kinda taught himself when he was very little and now we play it every day. Josie's not big on fetch, she plays 'soccer' where she runs around tapping a ball into something (i.e. a box, trashcan, etc) as a goal and then she wants a treat.

Napoleon doesn't really do 'tricks' though but Josie loves learning new tricks. She's really food motivated, you can get her to focus a long time if she knows she's going to get a treat. She can give high-5s with each paw, high-10s (so both paws at the same time), 'cute kitty' (head tilt, one paw up in the air), and 'pretty kitty' (sit on hind legs, both front paws in the air, looking up). We're still trying to learn 'dance' (so pretty kitty with an added twirl) and of course roll over.

One of my good friends from my shelter years has two rescued Shih Tzus that she takes to schools and educates kids on how to take better care of their dogs and cats. I got some of the trick ideas from ones she's taught Lulu and Anna to do for the kids. I've made sure to get all the tricks and fetch on tape just in case they stop doing them in the future.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:42 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,524 times
My one girl doesn't fetch so much as she puts things back, for instance I'll throw my socks off the hassock when I put my feet up, when I come back from the kitchen with snack in hand, there they are, both socks back up on the hassock. When I shower in the morning, she carries my bed clothes into the bedroom and drags them up onto the bed, she has these filthy little puff balls that we've had for years, they disappear for months, they reappear on our pillows [yuck] and other odd places. Cats are a hoot.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
All my Orientals loved to play fetch. They don't even need to be trained, they just do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats