Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:07 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times

Advertisements

So I have a friend, who lives in what she describes as "the barrio" outside of Houston...very poor...and her neighbor across the street had a kitten on the property LOUDLY crying somewhere. Being an animal lover, she tried to walk around the outside of the fence and figure out where it was coming from, but every time she came near, the crying would stop.

Finally this morning, she ran out while the neighbor was outside (their home is pretty unapproachable otherwise, locked gates and such) and yelled to ask if they knew where it was coming from and could she come in and find it. The guy said sure, and that he thought it was coming from inside his pickup truck somewhere and he was just about to turn the truck on to see if he could scare it out.

!!!

She got him to pop the hood and extracted one frightened grey kitten, estimated 6 weeks of age, from the engine of his truck.

She doesn't have the money or transportation to take it to a vet right now but it appears more or less healthy. She has been calling around and thinks she has an adopter lined up with the resources to properly care for little "Lucky" as she has named him.

However she says he has not stopped being REALLY LOUD since rescued. He cries, yells, yowls, and while eating he actually grunts and growls...he is constantly vocalizing, unless he's being held and then he quiets down and purrs. He does like to be handled and loved. But if you put him down, he makes an almighty racket.

He is rather like a baby (which he is) that cries constantly unless being held.

Any thoughts on this, cat community? You think he might be sick or hurt, or are some kitties just super-vocal like that? Some kind of abandonment issue? From what I hear he's acting pretty normal except for all the noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 01:04 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Lucky is an understatement!
We had talkers like that. Constant chatter.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

He is rather like a baby (which he is) that cries constantly unless being held.

Any thoughts on this, cat community? You think he might be sick or hurt, or are some kitties just super-vocal like that? Some kind of abandonment issue? From what I hear he's acting pretty normal except for all the noise.
This is a baby cat who is afraid, lost it's family somewhere and needs reassurance and companionship. He needs food and a feeling of security. Right now she is his security.

Some cats are more vocal than others. Until Zebulon, a Siamese mix, was around 1 1/2 to 2 yrs old, he "talked" constantly. Oddly enough, he is now very quiet.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:27 AM

369 posts, read 760,035 times
I volunteer at an animal shelter, and many of the kittens we get are that way when we put them out in the kitten room for adoption. Constant mewing and yowling unless someone is interacting with them. I think it is a security thing. They're in a new place, separated from their mom and siblings, it's scary for these little ones. With lots of love and attention they'll adjust and quiet down. And then there are cats who just are more talkative, like my cat Neptune. He talks to me, my other cat, empty rooms, strangers walking by... He talks so much he's sometimes hoarse by the end of the day. I don't know if it's because he came from a shelter and is used to hearing a lot of cats or what. My other cat is actually quieter now that Neptune's around to do all the talking for him.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:42 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,102 times
We have 3 cats, two are quiet but will respond if spoken to but Orion yaks A LOT and has since I adopted him as a tiny, 13 ounce kitten.

It sounds like this little guy might as other posters suggested be lonely and afraid, and is seeking reassurance. He's well socialized since he quiets when held. I think he's going to make a great friend.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:46 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I think so too. I think he just is demanding the contact and security and attention he needs. It's kind of funny, she says that although he grumbles and growls in his throat while he is eating, she can pet him and he doesn't shy away or act aggressive. He's just making noises. He sounds very cute. She's keeping him for a little while but does have a friend who wants him, and has the time and resources to really take good care of him. Looks like his story will wind up being a good one...so, SO glad she got him out of there before that idiot fired up his truck to "scare" the kitten out... She said she already arranged a re-home for a dog that same family had tied up and neglected in their yard. It's not easy being an animal lover in a really bad neighborhood sometimes...she says they get a lot of animals dumped in the area and thought that this kitten could have been one, or its Mom may have been hit on the road or something. She's rescued a lot of dumped and abused creatures alike.

She says it's somewhere east of Houston, if anyone knows anything about that area. I don't.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:50 PM

37 posts, read 59,636 times
That's cute.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:55 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
It's not that abnormal. My cat is vocal and runs around my apartment meowing and making noises I don't even know how to explain.

Also, when it eats it growls and attacks, but only if it is raw meat and food it is trying to steal from my plate. Cats are generally protective of their food, even the most well behaved ones.. some can be a lot more protective than others though.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:58 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
Major kudos to your friend for rescuing the little fur baby. I agree, the kitten is looking for security in a very large world - and a sometimes lonely, insecure one at that.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:43 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,969 times
Cats from the street and rescues in general are apt to have miscellaneous issues that we can never know about. The best we can do is comfort and support them and hope for the best. We have an 8-year who was caught at about six months in a feral trap set by a rural cat rescue organization. He's a big blob of couch-loving black and white now, but he hates men. All of them. Probably the chatter from your cat will die down as he/she matures and becomes more assured and secure in new surroundings. But as noted above, some cats are just naturally more talkative than others and you could have one of those here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats