Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:36 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,460 times

Advertisements

Moved, I understand how it is to not have enough money, seriously I do. That's why I suggested vacuuming and using borax. It's really inexpensive. Capstar costs about the same as the other flea remedies, i.e. Frontline and works better. The flea bombs are about $8 at Wal-Mart. What I did was purchase the items as I could afford them and when I had sufficient amounts, which is how the fleas got so bad, took action. I"m not 'rich' although I do make more than $1,000 a month but I have other obligations, please don't judge based solely on income.

I planned my attack on the fleas carefully when I realized they were a serious problem and finally won. I bombed the apartment although I dislike using poison, treated all the animals, dogs and cats at once. Vacuumed the carpets, the beds, the laminate floors and furniture very well. Tossed the bags into the trash and took it out immediately. I washed all the linen and gave the dogs baths. I was exhausted. I did all this while on vacation, which meant I wasn't getting paid either, no work, no pay for me.

It took two days of very hard work but I can finally say we are flea free. I check everyone regularly for fleas because as you say they are out there. I once gave my indoor cat fleas - I lived in another flea infested area, not because it wasn't well maintained but because the area was just being invaded. The vet said we probably brought them into the cat on our pants and socks. My friend had fleas in her car and another friend had them in his office, he didn't have any pets. My point is it doesn't just happen in poor unkempt areas but that makes it much more difficult to fight them but not impossible.

Don't despair, I had very limited funds but managed to get my 5 pets and huge apartment flea free. It took a lot of work and did cost me a few dollars but as I mentioned I purchased the supplies as I had the funds then 'attacked' when I had sufficient supplies and it finally worked.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:10 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Moved, I understand how it is to not have enough money, seriously I do. That's why I suggested vacuuming and using borax. It's really inexpensive. Capstar costs about the same as the other flea remedies, i.e. Frontline and works better. The flea bombs are about $8 at Wal-Mart. What I did was purchase the items as I could afford them and when I had sufficient amounts, which is how the fleas got so bad, took action. I"m not 'rich' although I do make more than $1,000 a month but I have other obligations, please don't judge based solely on income.

I have 10lbs of DE, and vacuum all the time. The carpet in my place is old and crummy which is a major problem, and I won't be flea free until I move, which will happen in the fall. I use generic Capstar which works the same as the name brand, but costs a loss less. I have to order more next week, and after it comes, I'll give it to Snickers, and use the Revolution the next day. The flea bombs (Raid in the purple can) are $12.99 for a pack of three at Target, but a can of the same spray is $7.29 at Target, and $8.54 at Walmart). I also have other obligations, even thought I'm low income, one of which is constantly trying to get more work.

I planned my attack on the fleas carefully when I realized they were a serious problem and finally won. I bombed the apartment although I dislike using poison, treated all the animals, dogs and cats at once. Vacuumed the carpets, the beds, the laminate floors and furniture very well. Tossed the bags into the trash and took it out immediately. I washed all the linen and gave the dogs baths. I was exhausted. I did all this while on vacation, which meant I wasn't getting paid either, no work, no pay for me.

I've already bombed twice and sprayed once. I'll be doing it again next week after my money comes in, and I get more Capstar, I already have the Revolution. I tried the generic Program, but it didn't work.

It took two days of very hard work but I can finally say we are flea free. I check everyone regularly for fleas because as you say they are out there. I once gave my indoor cat fleas - I lived in another flea infested area, not because it wasn't well maintained but because the area was just being invaded. The vet said we probably brought them into the cat on our pants and socks. My friend had fleas in her car and another friend had them in his office, he didn't have any pets. My point is it doesn't just happen in poor unkempt areas but that makes it much more difficult to fight them but not impossible.

Don't despair, I had very limited funds but managed to get my 5 pets and huge apartment flea free. It took a lot of work and did cost me a few dollars but as I mentioned I purchased the supplies as I had the funds then 'attacked' when I had sufficient supplies and it finally worked.

I get what I need when I have the money, then I start working on the problem, but I have to pay rent and bills first, anything left over goes for other things. I've been flea free before, but since I'm planning to move in the fall, I've got packed boxes stacked up on the bed, and as much off the floor as possible, which doesn't help any. I also can't move the furniture, because it's too heavy, all I can do is spray around it. The last I defleat (in 2008 when Snickers moved in), I used Sevin5 dust, which worked very well, but I also had just moved into my place, and had no furniture except a bed and computer desk. I have all my supplies except Capstar, which I'll be ordering next week. After it comes, I'll be defleaing again, but I can't do anything until my money arrives.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:13 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
When she moved into my complex, the cats were inside, and I saw them inside, when they were sitting in the window. The cats aren't being neglected, they just don't look like yours, ...
Mine would never look like that. Even if I had to borrow the cash from a friend, they would be at the vet long before they got that bad. I didn't claim she never kept them inside. But when a problem came up, she just threw them out of her apartment.

Quote:
...and I'm sure that you don't work 40 hours per week, and get up at 3:30am to go to work.
Most people work full time (40 hrs) to make a living. What has that got to do with taking cats to the vet? I worked all most of my life, a 40 hr week, and not only did my animals get veterinary care, but I was fostering cats and dogs as well - living from one paycheck to the next most of those years.

Quote:
If you would like to fork over a few hundred dollars for a professional for the entire complex to deflea their apartments, I'm sure it would be appreciated. The cat that's inside chose not to run out the door.
You said she put the bald cats outside and not the one cat because the fleas didn't bother it. If she has fleas in her apt, they would go after any cat and humans if no cats were available. The cat would not have to "run out the door" to be infested.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
She didn't put them outside, they went out on their own. If I don't watch my door when I open it, Snickers will run out, too.

She cares about the cats, and won't be moving out without them. My place was overridden with fleas, too.

If you have lots to money to spend, just send it along, and it'll take care of all the strays in my complex and neighborhood, too.

Why are you taking offense for something your neighbor is doing that's being commented on? It's not your place to get these cats the care they need and no one said you were. But it is your place to call the nearest SPCA or whoever handles cases of neglect and abuse and abandonment where you live. These cats didn't get this bad off in a few days. This is a classic example of why Rescues are so cautious about who they allow to adopt their cats and kittens.

Quote:
When you're low income, and live from paycheck to paycheck, you do the best that you can, and you do is when the money comes in!
It can YEARS for the money to come in .... what happens to the pets of these people in the meantime? As I said, these cats didn't get this bad off in days or even a week or two. The "extra" money may never come in. I'm not trying to be unkind but if someone can't afford to take their pets to the vet, and wont use one of those CreditCare companies, they shouldn't adopt or buy them. If I was low-income I would have CreditCare for the cats or not have them at all until finances improved.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
After it comes, I'll be defleaing again, but I can't do anything until my money arrives.
From the pictures you posted, your neighbor's cats have more than just fleas. They need to be scraped for mange. Not that they can't have fleas and mange at the same time. Although some animals seem to be highly resistant to mange, others, most, are highly susceptible. Her cats need to be seen by a vet, not just treated for fleas.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:47 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
SDASF - Pet Assistance

I found this link through google for San Diego. May be of some help.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Mine would never look like that. Even if I had to borrow the cash from a friend, they would be at the vet long before they got that bad. I didn't claim she never kept them inside. But when a problem came up, she just threw them out of her apartment.

They weren't thrown out, they ran out.

Most people work full time (40 hrs) to make a living. What has that got to do with taking cats to the vet? I worked all most of my life, a 40 hr week, and not only did my animals get veterinary care, but I was fostering cats and dogs as well - living from one paycheck to the next most of those years.

I don't work 40 hours a week, but I wish I did. It's impossible to even find part-time work these days. Her cats are spayed and neutered, plus she's had them since they were kittens. It's harder now to live paycheck to paycheck than it was years ago, and it's not easy when you don't drive. She's like me - the rent comes first. When you spend 1-1/2 hours per day each way on public transportation getting to and from work, it's harder than you think to get things done.

You said she put the bald cats outside and not the one cat because the fleas didn't bother it. If she has fleas in her apt, they would go after any cat and humans if no cats were available. The cat would not have to "run out the door" to be infested.
I didn't say she put the cats outside, they ran out the door. The other cat chose not to go outside.

If you have nothing good to say, please keep your comments to yourself. There's no need to get nasty and assume that everyone has the money that you may have.

Like I said before, my SS check doesn't even cover my rent. My part-time job just lost a very large contract, which means less work for me, and I have to move. I can't afford to live in my cottage much longer, because I can't afford it, and may end up living in my van for a few months.

So please keep your nasty comments to yourself. Some of us very low income people try to do the best we can, and have to scrimp on other things to make ends meet. I have no one to borrow money from, and wouldn't do it anyway.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
I didn't say she put the cats outside, they ran out the door. The other cat chose not to go outside.
This is what you said:

Quote:
Their owner said that she let them out because the fleas are so bad in her apartment. She's trying to get the fleas under control, then treat the cats to let them back in.
Quote:
Their owner has another cat, a tabby. She's inside, and isn't affected by the fleas.
The very fact she's not letting them back in means she put them out. It doesn't matter how they ended up outside. What matters if they are not allowed back inside.

People have a problem with your saying the cat inside wasn't affected by the fleas. That's impossible. There's no way a house can be infested with fleas and one animal doesn't have fleas. If the house has fleas, all of the animals have fleas.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:19 PM

People here are having a problem with this post, period. I didn't start it to be yelled and told to take them to the vet. I'll say it one more time - If you're not low income, keep your comments to yourself if you have nothing good to say.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
I'm only going by what YOU posted. So she allowed them to go outside bald and covered in fleas and probably suffering from mange... and you also said she wont let them back in until she sprays her apt for fleas. Why are you taking offense when the cats are not yours?

Quote:
If you have nothing good to say, please keep your comments to yourself. There's no need to get nasty and assume that everyone has the money that you may have
Quote:
I'm not getting "nasty." How do you expect people who see the pics of those pathetic cats to react, knowing they're suffering and will not see a vet? What positive thing can anyone possibly say? I didn't always have "extra" money. But when one of my pets needed to see a vet and I didn't have the cash, I borrowed it and paid it back. How many times must I repeat this before you comprehend what I'm saying?

Quote:
Like I said before, my SS check doesn't even cover my rent. My part-time job just lost a very large contract, which means less work for me, and I have to move. I can't afford to live in my cottage much longer, because I can't afford it, and may end up living in my van for a few months.
By what you just posted above - these are YOUR CATS and not your neighbor's cats. Whose cats are they? Hers or yours?

Quote:
So please keep your nasty comments to yourself. Some of us very low income people try to do the best we can, and have to scrimp on other things to make ends meet. I have no one to borrow money from, and wouldn't do it anyway.
So the cats are YOURS then and not the neighbors. (This is confusing) I said nothing "nasty". You're taking offense at honest replies to the post you made on your own. First claiming the cats belonged to a neighbor and now it appears, by what you wrote above... you as much as admit the cats are yours. What do you think people should have replied with, seeing such horrendous pics of neglected cats when we're all cat lovers here? You can apply for CareCredit to get them to a vet for a scrape and some Revolution to treat them. This is nothing NASTY in making such a suggestion.

This is what you wrote: "Their owner said that she let them out because the fleas are so bad in her apartment. She's trying to get the fleas under control, then treat the cats to let them back in." Yet by what you later posted, the cats are clearly YOURS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats