Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 04:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Here's a name for her---Beanie! Of course, she will grow bigger than a can of beans, but its a cute name. Pets usually name themselves, through some cute association.

We named Buttons that because he liked to chew the buttons off our shirts
I noticed the brand of beans is Joan of Arc.

Beanie is cute too. So far, her name is Bobbles.

I have no control over the naming process in this house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
I don't go to school, but I work. I am done with school. I am kinda highly educated.
That's good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Bad idea. You risk some creep trying to claim her for their own sick purposes.
I'm not trying to find the owner. I'm trying to shame the owner.

They won't have any way of knowing I have the kitten. I'll put the flyers out in the middle of the night while everyone is sleeping!

Quote:
She was probably tossed out a moving car window.
She was not injured. She was starving and collapsed in the street.

The vet thinks her mother was a feral who abandoned her or was killed.

But I want to make a flyer just in case someone put her outside.

Quote:
She's meant to be with you. Leave it at that.
I know she was meant to be ours. That's why I want to shame whoever did this. What if they do it again?

Old 06-24-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Cats are very cool if allowed to develop independence, if given the chance for exploration and stimulation but especially if loved, nurtured and never abused.
We've got the love, nurtured and not abused part down. We're working on exploration and stimulation. She doesn't seem interested in toys. It's hard to tell if the light is on inside that little head of hers. She is starting to explore the house though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
To Hopes, I think you've been getting lots of good advice here - but as a current foster mama myself to a feral kitten, I'll echo those who have said "give it time." Mine was hissy and scared for a couple of days, and has since turned into a confident love-bug. He's been here about 1 1/2 weeks now, and is basically running the joint.

P.S. I have a dog too (along with 3 other cats), and they're getting along fine overall... kitten hissed at first, then decided they were friends, and is now kinda mad at him because of a small spat the other day (over the dog's food). But it was more like a brotherly spat, so I'm sure they will be back to friends soon enough.
You're giving me hope that they might someday be friends. I'll accept mere tolerating each other too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
It sounds like things are falling into place nicely! And your husband took it so well. Have you started thinking about a name yet?
Bobbles---unless my son picks another one which is unlikely. The last name I got to chose in this house was my son's name!

I'm sorry if I missed responding to any posts. We're sort of overwhelmed here but it's getting easier.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:17 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
As far as her lack of interest in play right now.... a couple of things. She may not yet feel totally safe & secure in her environment & she may not be quite a 100% health-wise yet. Also, not having a sibling around to spark her interest in play might be a factor. Young solitary kittens my wife & I took in in the past spent a bit of time keeping a low profile and getting used to things. The kitten games began usually within a week or so, and they always had hissy adult cats to contend with on top of everything else. That said, you may have initiate some play sessions with her when the time is right.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:21 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
OHHHHHH, I see. So you don't intend to put contact information, such as a "found cat" poster would have. I misunderstood. Go for it, then, education is good.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Hopes, here's an article that might answer some of your questions about caring for an orphaned kitten. Good luck...seems like things are going well so far.

Napa Humane: Resources

Old 06-24-2013, 05:39 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We've got the love, nurtured and not abused part down. We're working on exploration and stimulation. She doesn't seem interested in toys. It's hard to tell if the light is on inside that little head of hers. She is starting to explore the house though.

You're giving me hope that they might someday be friends. I'll accept mere tolerating each other too.

Bobbles---unless my son picks another one which is unlikely. The last name I got to chose in this house was my son's name!

I'm sorry if I missed responding to any posts. We're sort of overwhelmed here but it's getting easier.
Awesome, well done to you. Your kitty will give you years of love and joy. She will be more faithful than a dog even, she will remember you saving her.

I've just moved a dog in with mine who'd never even seen a dog before. Three months in and things are still fairly icy but we've decided a lot of the carry on is actually them playing together. The cat runs at the dog, the dog circles the cat, mean stares from the cat, desperate ones from the dog.

It's quite amusing watching them sort their relationship out. Kitty is definitely Top Dog, so to speak.

They will be fine. Probably never BFFs, but they will learn to live together.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Hopes, here's an article that might answer some of your questions about caring for an orphaned kitten. Good luck...seems like things are going well so far.

Napa Humane: Resources
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
It's quite amusing watching them sort their relationship out. Kitty is definitely Top Dog, so to speak.
I have a feeling our kitty will be top dog too!

Old 06-24-2013, 06:08 PM

I LEARNED MY KITTEN'S STORY!

My neighbor's daughter and husband are big animal lovers. I'm talking huge. They're a couple in their 50s whose dogs are their only children. She lives right where I found the kitten, literally on the street right behind her house a couple doors down. She was visiting her parents tonight. I asked her if she has any feral cats in her area. She said she has a grey and white one that she feeds everyday. I told her about my kitten. She said a neighbor told her he saw a kitten following her around. MY KITTEN was the remaining kitten from her litter. Her mother abandoned her. Her mother wasn't starving. Her mother didn't get hit by a car. I guess the kitten just got weak from being a feral outdoor kitten and the mother abandoned her for that. Or she is a stupid, terrible mother.

I asked the neighbor's daughter if she would catch the mother so I could take her to get spayed at a catch and release program. She agreed. At least we can put a stop to THIS cat abandoning future kittens.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:54 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Or she is a stupid, terrible mother.
And that probably explains some of her behavior, because her mama never taught her, and her mother might never have taught her, etc. The beat goes on.

She'll figure stuff out eventually. Toys are too tempting to resist!

Quote:
I asked the neighbor's daughter if she would catch the mother so I could take her to get spayed at a catch and release program. She agreed. At least we can put a stop to THIS cat abandoning future kittens.
So good of you to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats