Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Then why haven't you advertised them here when someone posts about a sick cat and claims they can't afford to take it to a vet? Where were you to jump right in then? There are no free or low-cost clinics for pets where I live. There were none in the other locations where I lived either. All we have here are low-cost spay/neuter clinics.
If I had seen one of those threads, I would have... but I don't read this forum every day, and even when I do, only hit the ones that catch my attention. Also, I thought everyone knew about those clinics!

Here's the one where I've gotten $12 rabies shots for my dog: Mobile Vet Clinic

Quote:
Of course not. Has it occured to you I'm talking about those who are "struggling" and still adopt a cat or dog? And people are dumping them. Don't you read websites other than this one? Not all those who lost their jobs or apts of course, but the rate is astronomical.
Of course I read other sites (kind of a requiremt of my job) and know what's going on the world... but from what I've observed in recent years, the people who "dump" their pets for financial reasons are usually suffering a recent job loss or change. I don't know the stats on people who adopt AFTER the fact, as those numbers probably aren't even recorded.

You made a very blanketed statement about "people who can't afford to care for their pets," with no mention of them adopting WHILE struggling. You also apparently look at what people buy at the supermarket, and pass judgment without even knowing them... so I wouldn't be surprised if you also made those snap judgments about somebody who cannot currently afford vet care. I realize people sometimes adopt a pet without thinking of the costs, but asking "why" is kind of a silly question with different answers for every individual.

Quote:
I don't think anyone said you weren't, so what is your problem? You don't even live in a highrise.
Since that was my first post on this thread, clearly I didn't think anyone had addressed me personally. I was throwing that out as a general statement, since I've read other posts from you on this topic - and you implied even the second story was a cat death waiting to happen. It was actually on a recent thread (regarding a cat who fell off the balcony and was found a few days later), but I refrained from commenting on your post there.

So, at what height do you consider this a concern? I actually looked at a third-floor unit when I moved into my current place, but took a more expensive second-floor unit mostly out of concern for my kitties. I knew Bindi would end up exploring out there, and didn't want her attempting to jump from that height!

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-15-2013 at 10:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If I had seen one of those threads, I would have... but I don't read this forum every day, and even when I do, only hit the ones that catch my attention. Also, I thought everyone knew about those clinics!

Here's the one I went to for my dog's rabies shot: Mobile Vet Clinic
This would not be considered low-cost where I live in TN. These are the prices charged normally. Unless I missed something there is nothing there about low-cost treatments for broken legs, teeth cleaning etc. This is testing and vaccinating info.

Quote:
Of course I read other sites (kind of a requiremt of my job) and know what's going on the world... but from what I've observed in recent years, the people who "dump" their pets for financial reasons are usually suffering a recent job loss or change. I don't know the stats on people who adopt AFTER the fact, as those numbers probably aren't even recorded.

You made a very blanketed statement about "people who can't afford to care for their pets," with no mention of them adopting WHILE struggling.
And so you want me to write an entire page each time I post to cover every single little aspect of the subject? No one else here does that - why should I?

Quote:
You also apparently look at what people buy at the supermarket, and pass judgment without even knowing them...
How can I not see what they put on the counter or what's in their baskets? Do you cover your eyes with something as you go through the lane to pay? What do you cover them with o you don't notice what's around you?

Pass judgement? If they're using food stamps paid for by the taxpayers of the USA, why should I say nothing about it to see them buying beer and cigarettes and other useless unnecessary items? If they can afford all those luxuries, they shouldn't be on food stamps.

Quote:
so I wouldn't be surprised if you also made those snap judgments about somebody who cannot currently afford vet care. I realize people sometimes adopt a pet without thinking of the costs, but asking "why" is kind of a silly question with different answers for every individual.

Since that was my first post on this thread, clearly I didn't think anyone had addressed me personally. I was throwing that out as a general statement, since I've read other posts from you on this topic - and you implied even the second story was a cat death waiting to happen. It was actually on a recent thread (regarding a cat who fell off the balcony and was found a few days later), but I refrained from commenting on your post there.
I don't believe this topic of highrise-syndrome was covered here in the past. And why do you so resent my suggestions to make sure windows are safe if you have cats or small children? What's it to you? Where are you trying to go with this?

Quote:
So, at what height do you consider this a concern? I actually looked at a third-floor unit when I moved into my current place, but took a more expensive second-floor unit mostly out of concern for my kitties. I knew Bindi would end up exploring out there, and didn't want her attempting to jump from that height!
Any height a cat can be seriously injured or killed if it fell......... something about the safety of cats and windows seems to have touched one of your nerves.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
This would not be considered low-cost where I live in TN. These are the prices charged normally. Unless I missed something there is nothing there about low-cost treatments for broken legs, teeth cleaning etc. This is testing and vaccinating info.
You live in a much lower cost of living area, and there are low cost clinics where you live. The first one I in the list I posted has dental cleanings from $97.75 to $177.50, depending on the size of the pet. Do your research and you'll probably find one that does broken bones too. The information is out there. You just have to look for it.

Quote:
And so you want me to write an entire page each time I post to cover every single little aspect of the subject? No one else here does that - why should I?
When you make a blanket statement and people elaborate, you could simply agree there is more to it than you originally posted instead of arguing for 4 pages before admitting that you weren't all-inclusive in your original thoughts. Most people acknowledge when people post important counterpoints. There's nothing wrong with blanket statements aside from their usually being illogical. All and nothing statements are usually illogical statements too.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I don't believe this topic of highrise-syndrome was covered here in the past. And why do you so resent my suggestions to make sure windows are safe if you have cats or small children? What's it to you? Where are you trying to go with this?
I can't speak for the other poster, but I personally feel that you are providing people with false security by telling them that screens can protect their cats and children. I think that's irresponsible and that it's important for me to challenge the statement. If someone lives in a highrise, they need to be super cautious and not open their windows all the way. It doesn't matter that you didn't write the article. An article doesn't make something true. Almost anyone can write an article.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You live in a much lower cost of living area, and there are low cost clinics where you live.
Please direct me to them so I can spread the word. The only low-cost clinics here are for spay and neutering.

Quote:
The first one I in the list I posted has dental cleanings from $97.75 to $177.50, depending on the size of the pet. Do your research and you'll probably find one that does broken bones too. The information is out there. You just have to look for it.
I already looked.

Quote:
When you make a blanket statement and people elaborate, you could simply agree there is more to it than you originally posted instead of arguing for 4 pages before admitting that you weren't all-inclusive in your original thoughts.
No other poster is all-inclusive 100% of the time, so why single me out?

Quote:
Most people acknowledge when people post important counterpoints. There's nothing wrong with blanket statements aside from their usually being illogical. All and nothing statements are usually illogical statements too.
You should THINK when you read posts here rather than jump to illogical conclusions and attack other posters for not posting up to your standards 100% of the time.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can't speak for the other poster, but I personally feel that you are providing people with false security by telling them that screens can protect their cats and children.
I think that's irresponsible and that it's important for me to challenge the statement. [/quote]
If someone lives in a highrise, they need to be super cautious and not open their windows all the way. It doesn't matter that you didn't write the article. An article doesn't make something true. Almost anyone can write an article.[/quote]

You somehow missed the part about hardware cloth and safety grates over the window. I'm finished with this subject. If you don't want screens, grates or HW cloth in your windows.... who cares?

This is what you missed in the OP, in #1, before your panties got all in a wad: Both children and cats have been killed or seriosuly injured by open windows with no screens or mesh guards.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
This would not be considered low-cost where I live in TN. These are the prices charged normally.
Um yeah, that's because you live in TN and I live in CA... around here the regular vets charge an office visit (usually $50-70) on top of the vaccine (which runs about $30 for rabies, more for the others), so those are low-cost prices for HERE.

Quote:
Unless I missed something there is nothing there about low-cost treatments for broken legs, teeth cleaning etc. This is testing and vaccinating info.
That's just the mobile clinic, and obviously they're not going to do surgeries and tooth cleanings at a mobile site. I'm sure they have others where you can get those services, this is just the clinic I knew off the top of my head. Point being, you said "low cost/free clinics don't exist," and they do. If your credit rating is decent, they also have something called CareCredit, which is like a credit card to be used at the vet... not sure of the limits, but I imagine it depends on your ratings.

http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

Quote:
The simple phrase "after they lose their job" doesn't take up an entire page, lol.

You don't have to write a whole essay, but being a little more specific might help people to understand your position better.

Quote:
How can I not see what they put on the counter or what's in their baskets? Do you cover your eyes with something as you go through the lane to pay? What do you cover them with o you don't notice what's around you?
I don't cover my eyes, and still manage to not take notice of every item in another shopper's cart and/or how they are paying. I might notice one or two items in my peripheral vision, but that's really about it. How do you know if they're paying with food stamps, when most states now have a "debit card" for EBT? Doesn't that look just like any other debit or credit card? I used to live in the straight-up GHETTO, and still couldn't tell you who paid for what and how.

Quote:
Pass judgement? If they're using food stamps paid for by the taxpayers of the USA, why should I say nothing about it to see them buying beer and cigarettes and other useless unnecessary items? If they can afford all those luxuries, they shouldn't be on food stamps.
I'm a taxpayer too, and don't go around judging or caring about what people buy with their food stamps... it's really not our business once the money is given to them, in my opinion. I also wouldn't follow a homeless man after giving him a dollar, to see how he spent it - would you? Anyway, like I said earlier, that's a discussion best saved for P&OC (and believe me, they have a TON of threads on this very topic).

Oh, and food stamps don't even ALLOW cigarettes or liquor (among other items) to be purchased, so it's not possible those were bought directly with EBT. They'd have to use cash for prohibited items, which makes that even less of your business. For all you know, their elderly mother gave them $20 to get those items for her... and that's why I don't pass judgment without knowing their full stories.

Quote:

Any height a cat can be seriously injured or killed if it fell......... something about the safety of cats and windows seems to have touched one of your nerves.
How would this touch a nerve, and where exactly could I be "going with this?" For the life of me, I can't even think of a scenario where that would apply... let's see.......

- I'm a landlord/slumlord who rents apartments without window screens? Nope.
- I'm a window dealer, and we get a commission for every one that's broken? Nope.
- I am actually Amanda Bynes, but instead of throwing bongs off the balcony I want to start throwing off cats and babies? Ummm, definitely no.

I actually don't have a problem with your general message, but do think it's kind of a "duh." Obviously if you live on a higher floor, you should use common sense and caution to ensure nobody falls out... so I'm not really sure why I'd want to argue with that! I was mostly just responding to your attitude (how you asked why people would leave their screens open, throwing in the nasty stuff about FS recipients, and just your general judgy-ness). I've said what I wanted to say about that, so carry on!

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-16-2013 at 01:57 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Please direct me to them so I can spread the word. The only low-cost clinics here are for spay and neutering.

I already looked.
Not very hard, apparently... I found some, just in the first few hits on Google.

I'm not sure where you live exactly, but here's a link to some low-cost clinics in Tennessee: Vets 4 My Pets - Tennessee (the internal links are down, so I can't say what specific services they offer)

A few of these charities offer stuff even beyond medical services, like beds and general financial assistance for low-income owners: http://www.petassistancenetwork.com/...p?t=other&s=TN (note the rabies shot on the bottom link is $6, so there's your adjustment for cost-of-living in TN vs CA)

Oooh, and food banks just for critters! http://www.petassistancenetwork.com/...hp?t=food&s=TN

Quote:
You should THINK when you read posts here rather than jump to illogical conclusions and attack other posters for not posting up to your standards 100% of the time.
Is that your go-to comeback? You used that one on me too, when I called you out for bad dog advice on another thread. We do THINK, you just don't seem to like our thoughts.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I already posted links to three of them in the post I made last night. Here's the link to my post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/30040923-post28.html

Quote:
I already looked.
You couldn't have looked hard enough since I provided links to three of them last night, including one that scrapes teeth.

It only too me two minutes to find those. I have complete confidence you can find them too.

This information might help you: Oregon University | Tips to Effective Internet Searching

Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
I think that's irresponsible and that it's important for me to challenge the statement.
If someone lives in a highrise, they need to be super cautious and not open their windows all the way. It doesn't matter that you didn't write the article. An article doesn't make something true. Almost anyone can write an article.

You somehow missed the part about hardware cloth and safety grates over the window. I'm finished with this subject. If you don't want screens, grates or HW cloth in your windows.... who cares?

This is what you missed in the OP, in #1, before your panties got all in a wad: Both children and cats have been killed or seriosuly injured by open windows with no screens or mesh guards.
Guess what? children and cats have been seriously hurt and killed falling out of windows WITH proper screens and mess guards! I think this is a point you're not getting.

I live in Chicago, practically the "home of the highrise". During this time of year, it's nearly impossible to take public transportation and not see this PSA: "Screens keep bugs out, not kids in". Hardware cloth isn't going to do squat against the full on weight of a toddling child or even a determined cat. Heck, I've been in a few highrise apartments and most already have screened windows so I don't get the point of your bolded, red statement other stating something ridiculously obvious. In most areas of the country, windows have screening (IIRC from the brief time I spent there, LA housing codes demands it). I've only ever lived in two apartments that didn't have them and in one case, the LL had upgraded the windows and just kept forgetting to replace the screens and w/ the other apartment, the LL was a borderline slumlord anyhoo.

The ONLY way "high rise syndrome" can be 100% preventable is if you don't open your windows at all or don't own a cat. Anything and everything else has varying degrees of success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats