Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I will look into buying a big ol cat jungle gym like one poster mentioned above. Problem is, I know sometimes cats don't always take to them and use them. Plus, this guy is about 15 lbs min, so he is a good size kitty. Will he even fit on one of those things?
I found one of the largest ones made at Petco. It was on sale but I can't recall what it cost exactly. It's too large with a large base to be knocked over.

Watch some of them as they're too tall for their stands. My Zebulon, a large but lean cat has knocked two of them over so far and both had to be weighed down with cinder blocks. He runs through the house and takes flying leaps on them. Or you can attach a piece of larger plywood to the bottom of the stands. If you cat ignores it, move it to a different location. We have one cat-condo the cats ignored until I moved it close to a window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 11:55 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,304 times
cat trees: Sometimes there are people making and selling them locally. Check Craigslist. What sells for $250 in some pet store can cost only $80 or $100 if you buy directly from the person who makes them. And you can specify trays and ovals and shelves large enough for a big cat. Most of what I have seen in stores really is kitten-size.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
cat trees: Sometimes there are people making and selling them locally. Check Craigslist. What sells for $250 in some pet store can cost only $80 or $100 if you buy directly from the person who makes them. And you can specify trays and ovals and shelves large enough for a big cat. Most of what I have seen in stores really is kitten-size.
I was going to suggest this!

Also eBay. I was in someone's house a while back and they had an absolutely beautiful floor-to-ceiling cat tree/scratching post that would cost hundreds and hundreds in a pet store...but they paid something ridiculous, under $100 (basically just shipping) from someone on eBay.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:27 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,396 times
Something that's been very helpful in discouraging my cat from using my furniture as a scratching area is this: Feliway

It comes in 2 forms: a plug-in diffuser (similar size to one of those Glade plug-in air fresheners) and a spray.

It can take up to a month to see results, but I think it's worth a try. With the plug-in, you just plug it in and forget about it. With the spray, you have to spritz problem areas daily. I use a combination of both.

It's mainly for cats who engage in anxiety-related scratching. My kitty does it out of boredom and as a way to try and 'punish' me for doing stuff like..oh, leaving and going to work, or as a way to try and get my attention. It's definitely helped.

It's also good if you can set up something like a sisal scratching post, in a designated cat-friendly zone, and spritz it with catnip spray or something equally appealing.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Declawing cats is not right. I know a lady who had a declawed indoors only cat & the cat got out one day. She found her cat dead the next day. The very tame & loving cat got into a fight with a dog & could not defend herself or get upa tree. Her cat (missy) was only 5 yrs old. I broke off ties with this lady cause i told her to not get the cat declawed when she adopted her. My cats are MUCH more important to me then some damn furniture. I have plenty of scratching posts & that helps alot. When people tell me they hate or dislike cats or their cat is declawed i say " BYE" & thats forever.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:23 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I've a cat I took responsibility for a year ago.
He is now 2 years old.
He was 'fixed' before I got him.
He was never declawed. He is usually REALLY good about not scratching furniture or things he shouldn't.

Until Saturday morning. I left my closet open a crack, and he is a curious fellow, and loves the closet for some reason. I have noticed a jersey of mine on the ground a time or two over the year, assuming it would fall off as he walked through the closet. these jerseys were on the lower level hanger pole in the closet.
As i was cleaning around the house on Saturday, I noticed four of my jerseys on the ground. Turns out kitty cat decided to kneed and use my four jerseys in excess of $500 for his nap time bed.
Basically, due to the jersey material, they have more snags than I can imagine, and are basically ruined.

I was against declawing him, as I feel it is cruel, and unnecessary.
But, I chose to not afford for him to destroy any farther clothing/furniture should it happen again.

Anyone have their cat front claws declawed lately? How much is a realistic current price?
I can obviously call some vets, but I was curious if anyone recently paid for a declaw only on a 2 year cat, and also if anyone has any thoughts about declawing an indoor 2 year old cat.
The realistic cost is at the expense of your cat. It is much like taking the top of each finger tip off of your own hands. It is cruel.

If you don't want your cat scratching up your jerseys, close the closet door. I just saved you quite a bit of money and your cat doesn't have to through such agony that does not benefit ANYONE.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Funny how no one suggests pulling out all the teeth on a dog because they chew up a few shoes. But if it's a cat people are quick to suggest declawing.
If people started having dogs teeth removed to keep them from chewing there would be a mass uprising in this country, yet no one gets up and fights to stop the mutilation of cat's paws by de-clawing. I wonder why.......

Old 06-03-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Finally, my sister declawed the cat. ......

I had an intact cat that not only destroyed the furniture, she started ripping into my slippers. Her claws went the following month, ........
I suspected you believed in de-clawing cats.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:15 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Close your closet door, pick up your clothes and buy your cat something to scratch. If you can afford to buy 4 jerseys for $500, you can surely afford something for you cat to scratch and play with.

Did you not see where the original poster already stated his cat has several scratching posts and several beds?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:25 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
If people started having dogs teeth removed to keep them from chewing there would be a mass uprising in this country, yet no one gets up and fights to stop the mutilation of cat's paws by de-clawing. I wonder why.......

No one seems to get upset when someone has the surgery to silence a barking dog or put a shock collar on them either.

Whomever shares the home with the cat is the one who should decide what is to be done if anything.
I'm afraid not everyone on the planet is as perfect as some are and keep everything closed, locked up, hung up, in a drawer, out of the way, and have 17 scratching posts, furniture covers or cheap furniture that is just fine for the cats to destroy and has a life outside of doing nothing but chasing a cat around all day to make sure they do not destroy anything. Declawed cats can and do live perfectly normal "cat" lives and are as healthy as their humans keep them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats