Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 06:26 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
It's always difficul to deal with this kind of thing. My policy has always been ,as long as they're not in pain and seem content, let them be.
Cats are the masters at hiding pain. By the time they actually begin to show symptoms of pain or illness, they usually have been ill or suffering for a long time, and the pain or illness has gotten so severe they can no longer hide it.

That's what vets are for. To examine, diagnose and treat. Improve quality of life. I'm not saying go to heroic lengths to prolong a cat's life, if you don't believe in that, but there are plenty of things that can help make a cat's last months or years or days or whatever, more comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
That's what I am asking for: information to help make a cat's last months or years more comfortable. I have moved her "space" closer to my usual TV/reading area and have brought all her toys and her perch into a place that is easier for her to get to. She doesn't jump as well as before. But she still wants to go outside and watch the birds and I let her for a couple hours in the fenced /blocked yard. I have given her more water bowls, showed her where the food is when its time to eat, and I have given her the Petramalt on her paw to help with hairballs. At times she wants to be alone. But mostly she wants company and I am letting her do whatever she feels like at this time in her older years.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:26 PM

12,291 posts, read 2,969,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
That's what I am asking for: information to help make a cat's last months or years more comfortable. I have moved her "space" closer to my usual TV/reading area and have brought all her toys and her perch into a place that is easier for her to get to. She doesn't jump as well as before. But she still wants to go outside and watch the birds and I let her for a couple hours in the fenced /blocked yard. I have given her more water bowls, showed her where the food is when its time to eat, and I have given her the Petramalt on her paw to help with hairballs. At times she wants to be alone. But mostly she wants company and I am letting her do whatever she feels like at this time in her older years.
Barb, it sounds like you're doing all the right things. Just love her.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
She is my beloved calico, Callie and is the last of the 5 cats I have had during the last 30 years. I lost my 2 others around last summer, and now I see signs of old age quickly approaching in Callie.

She must be at least 15. Not sure. She is a rescue. She walks slowly, like she has arthritis, sometimes she doesn't remember where to pee, and she is very irritable and wants to be at my side all the time. She bit me twice this week and I have learned not to pet her unless she looks peaceful. She doesn't seem to be able to jump like before and she is peeing enormous amounts but I hardly see her drinking water. Appetite is good. Eyes are clear. She just looks like she is tired of life. Her only joy is going outside, so I allow her to do so in the fenced yard where she is safe.

Every book says to just keep her happy and warm and comfortable. Oh boy. I don't think I can handle another loss right now. My mom just passed last August and I am missing her lots. Its a difficult time and I don't think the vet will help in any way, so am not going to put her through that stress. Any suggestions are welcome.
Unless she is in obvious distress, it seems like making her comfortable is the best solution. Sadly, nobody lasts forever, I am sorry to her about your mother, losing two people you love in short succession is very difficult, in deed.

{{{{{{phxbarb}}}}}}

Old 06-21-2013, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,955 times
Default cat dementia with urinating more frequently

We understand about budgets etc. But working in a gets office there are ways to get help for your cat .Some vets do take care credit which is a 6 month no interest credit card that you can apply for at home by phone or internet. there are also cat rescues-facebook pledges-wish upon a hero and gofundme which you can post about your kitty needing vet help and folks can donate directly to your vets office or thru paypal which will help pay for vet visit!! Sounds like your cat could have both renal failure and or bladder infection or diabetis/thyroid issues which are all treatable if ya dont wait too long. Good luck!!

Old 06-21-2013, 10:05 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Have you talked to your vet about an antidepressant for Callie? It could help with the memory/cognitive problems and possibly the urination issue too. There are inexpensive drug options and they could really help her quality of life.

While 15 is older, it's not ancient and she could have more time left than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats