Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,516,184 times

Advertisements

Tortie is a little angel, possibly a purebred Japanese Bobtail.

We literally picked her up, seeing she was abandoned and tame, in our colony, having already spayed her and at that time not realizing she was tame!

Now we "own" her.

She is a tortoise shell and the doctor says she is just about 2.

Other than a urinary infection (I am taking her to the vet, don't worry, and I also have insurance for her), what are the other reasons she might do this: She goes to a far corner of a room where there is a runner (we don't have rugs, just throw rugs and runners and hardwood or tile) and then she unloads her bladder.

She always used our boxes just great, faithfully.

We have 13 boxes for 10 cats, in prominent spots for them in all rooms, they are cleaned completely, even washed, every day, 2x a day, etc. It is not the cat litter: She used the litter well in the past. We got her in Sept and she is wonderful and sweet and does not have fights with other cats.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Spayed female adult rescue: inappropriate peeing-img_5835-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Could it be that one of the other cats has harassed her when she used the litter box?
If she does not have a urinary tract infection, I would try the "Attract" cat litter. A friend of mine has had issues with a cat that started peeing outside the box and this worked wonders for him.

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-22-2013, 12:23 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,000 times
My first thought... her behavior is related to the urinary infection.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
My first thought... her behavior is related to the urinary infection.
I don't think she has a urinary infection because I just saw her go up to the landing of our stairs (from the first to second floor) where she had been peeing on the runner and I had recently decided to try to put a litter box there. She just used the litter box! I think she wanted to be away from the main rooms to pee, I guess??

Old 02-22-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Could it be that one of the other cats has harassed her when she used the litter box?
If she does not have a urinary tract infection, I would try the "Attract" cat litter. A friend of mine has had issues with a cat that started peeing outside the box and this worked wonders for him.
She just used a newly placed litter box on the landing where she used to pee.

I don't use anything but Feline Pine. With the sieves. http://www.felinepinelitterbox.com/ (Sawdust goes through the sieve to the next level of the box. Swear by it. We have 13 boxes and 10 cats and cannot deal with other litter, too much work and this Feline Pine is accepted by every single one of our cats, without exception. I know Cat Attract and once tried it, don't want to use it.)

Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 AM

Oh, you are lucky then. I volunteer at a shelter where we have about 50 cats in residence. Used to use the Feline Pine and some of the cats did not like it at all, would poop and pee elsewhere, so they switched to World's Best cat litter. But if it works for you, maybe it is location issue.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Oh, you are lucky then. I volunteer at a shelter where we have about 50 cats in residence. Used to use the Feline Pine and some of the cats did not like it at all, would poop and pee elsewhere, so they switched to World's Best cat litter. But if it works for you, maybe it is location issue.
Something like 15 of our cats have used Feline Pine without a single hitch. Except for those who want to urinate outside of ANY litter box (Cat Attract failed).

And I did try Cat Attract for our chronic peeing and spraying out of the box cat, Tobias, who has "psychiatric issues". (Poor guy. He is a very scared cat of other male cats - he loves the kittens, though.) Didn't work at all. Nor did about 5 other litters that the DVM behaviorist that we hired to help us with Toby told us to use. Nothing worked for Toby. He WILL use Feline Pine for #2! Just not the urine.

We are sold on Feline Pine, but only because we use the double box which saves us a lot of litter.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 AM

297 posts, read 502,719 times
A cat that has always used the box before without fail that starts peeing other places is most likely in pain. The most likely is a UTI but it could be something else. Nothing replaces a trip to the vet, but when my cats do this I give them Vitamin C and Traumeel in wet cat food every 12 hours for 10 days. They usually go back to the box in 48 hours.

Good luck!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2012 View Post
A cat that has always used the box before without fail that starts peeing other places is most likely in pain. The most likely is a UTI but it could be something else. Nothing replaces a trip to the vet, but when my cats do this I give them Vitamin C and Traumeel in wet cat food every 12 hours for 10 days. They usually go back to the box in 48 hours.

Good luck!
She did use the box - see posts. I have pet insurance and would never hesitate to take her to the vet. My favorite vet is not there today - will wait till she is back to discuss behavior issues with her.

Thanks for the advice. I never heard of Traumeel. interesting!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM

Another product that works well is "Tinkle Tonic", silly name.... but it works! I know Traumeel as a lotion, does it come as a liquid also?

Animals' Apawthecary Tinkle Tonic

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats