Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,285 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I'm desparate. I have a 12 year old cat, that will not touch meat or fish, not even when she was kitty, she also will not touch wet food. I have a problem because she has gum issues and has lost 5 teeth and is being treated for her gum issues, which are problematic at this time. She is not really eating and I'm taking a trip back to two vets tomorrow, her regular vet and now a holistic vet. Any thoughts for what kind of soft food I could try to prepare for her, in light of her not liking meat, fish or wet food. She does like natural peanut butter, hummus, walnuts and things like that, but no meat.

Help, I don't want to lose her.

Thanks!

desparate in Minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,527,784 times
This is something you can ask the vet when you go tomorrow, you could try different brand of wet food. My cats won't eat anything other than Fancy Feasts.

You should ask in the Cat section.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/

Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 AM

11,279 posts, read 19,618,995 times
Can you give us more information? Is it wet food she won't eat, or ANY food? I am all for transition a cat OFF of dry food, but of course you can't let her not eat at all.

What kind of toppers have you tried? What brands/formulas have you tried? There are so many wet foods available.

Offer small portions, (no more than a tablespoon at a time) warmed up. Warming the food (by running hot water over the dish, put the food in the hot dish, then set the dish in another saucer of hot water for a few minutes. Stir around to get the temperature even throughout. And/or add a little warm water to it.) makes it smellier so more appealing.

Top with something you know she likes, even kibble crushed into powder. If she licks off the topper, put more on, mixing some in the food. Other toppers that may work: freeze dried chicken, such as PureBites chicken, forti flora (it's a probiotic but the first ingredient is animal digest, which most cats love), bonita flakes...

I'll be watching for your reply.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:16 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,522,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybeataku View Post
Hello everyone I'm desparate. I have a 12 year old cat, that will not touch meat or fish, not even when she was kitty, she also will not touch wet food. I have a problem because she has gum issues and has lost 5 teeth and is being treated for her gum issues, which are problematic at this time. She is not really eating and I'm taking a trip back to two vets tomorrow, her regular vet and now a holistic vet. Any thoughts for what kind of soft food I could try to prepare for her, in light of her not liking meat, fish or wet food. She does like natural peanut butter, hummus, walnuts and things like that, but no meat.

Help, I don't want to lose her.

Thanks!

desparate in Minnesota
What brands of wet have you tried?

How about cooking organic chicken and mashing it up with chicken broth? I don't suppose she would eat it if she has never had home cooked chicken.

If you are desperate for her to eat ANYTHING, well, my Dirty Cat has only 3 teeth in his entire mouth, and although I normally only feed him wet food, I tried some dry on him to see what he would do with it and he gobbled it up.

No problem.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,446,135 times
Some people have luck with baby food. Just check the label to make sure there is no onion.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 AM

20,417 posts, read 14,714,108 times
Copy/Pasted from the "cat turning grey" thread, because I'm a bit doofy this morning and typed all this in there when I meant to put it here, I got my stuff mixed up a bit. But it's helpful perhaps to whoever so yeah...here...

It's commonly thought that wet food in general is vastly superior to dry, there is no benefit to feeding dry food according to the most progressive opinions on cat nutrition...however this is definitely a matter of debate. And certainly some cats live long healthy lives on dry kibble. You can find Forti Flora on Amazon: Purina FortiFlora Feline Nutritional Supplement, box of 30 x 1 gram packages: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

...and as another poster has mentioned, it is flavored by this "animal digest" stuff that appeals to cats, more importantly to you if your cat only wants dry foods--the powder they coat the dry food with to make it taste good, it's this same stuff. So sprinkling a bit of this on the wet food might make it "taste right" to kitty, and it's good for digestion. Just don't overdo it.

Wishing everybody a great day!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,881,196 times
id definlty try other brands and textures (my cats wont eat "chunky" only pate types other cats i know will only eat flakes or shedded ect...) if not go to bby food, make sure its somehting that doesnt contain onion powder...if thats a no go try human food (boiled chicken, tuna ect...and if that doesnt work and all shell eat is peanut butter nd hummus ANY protein i better than no protein...try almond butter instead (more proteinand less fat thanpeanut butter) try blending some chicken into the hummus ect...

at her age i think it matters less WHERE the protein nd moisture come from and more that shes getting some.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 AM

20,417 posts, read 14,714,108 times
I think before feeding a cat anything that is not cat food, or meat based, I would at least do a quickie Google search to see if there is documentation of it being harmful to them. Cats can react badly to ALL KINDS of things. Something like, "Is <almond butter/peanut butter/hummus/etc> harmful to cats?" typed into Google would probably get the job done.

For instance, tofu is often used by vegetarians as a meat substitute, but it's made of soybeans which are harmful to cats. So just be careful with that.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,015,359 times
If she's really having difficulty and will only eat kibble, you can try moistening it to soften it as people do for young kittens.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:03 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,303,939 times
I have a very old cat closing in on 19 years...she enjoys very small peices of raw salmon, otherwise just dry cat food. I give her the dry kitten food so it's easier for her to chew. Make sure your old girl has lots of fresh water always available to her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats