Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:12 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times

Advertisements

Cat Law in Kansas Limits Households to 4 Cats - PawNation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,995,880 times
There are many municipalities and counties across the county which do have pet occupancy limits on their books. They've been around for years. It's nothing new.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Personally, I'm against them. It punished responsible pet owners who register their animals and obtain regular veterinary care. Such laws have been proven time and again to increase turn-ins and euthanasia at shelters and pounds.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
BAH HA HA HA!!! ROFLMAO!!!!

Lots of places have the same "rule". No one cares, until you become a "Crazy Cat Lady", and annoy someone, then, you are targeted.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:31 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
How did they decide on "four?"
Are they gonna do a cat census?
If you have five, do you have to "cull" one?
Do you get a temporary dispensation for a litter?
What a stupid and unenforceable law.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:44 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
I don't know what to say. It reminds me of "Big Brother" or even smells of communism. I mean, how can the Gov dictate how many pets someone has in their home - be they cats or dogs? Will they be limiting the number of children people can have next?

If there are pet limits, why such low ones? Many people have 5 or even 10 well cared for cats (or dogs). How they're cared for should be more important than how many they have. I am for mandatory neutering and spaying.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I don't know what to say. It reminds me of "Big Brother" or even smells of communism. I mean, how can the Gov dictate how many pets someone has in their home - be they cats or dogs? Will they be limiting the number of children people can have next?

If there are pet limits, why such low ones? Many people have 5 or even 10 well cared for cats (or dogs). How they're cared for should be more important than how many they have. I am for mandatory neutering and spaying.
That's the thing...the number of animals has NOTHING to do with how well they are cared for this. And only 4 cats? That's not even a good start on a feline army!

(I disagree on the mandatory s/n, as this has also been proven to increase euthanasia and intake.)

Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
What a stupid law, big brother government . I swear if I did not know better I think our government wants our people to start a revolution . Big brother is already in our business enough I dont want the government telling me what I can and cannot own . God who is above mans law decides what I can and cannot have . Yes this certainly does create more turn ins and euthanasia ..

Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
There are also ordinances in most places which prohibit the burial of animal carcasses on private property. But no one called the authorities on my dad when he buried a kitten claimed by distemper behind the house where we lived at the time. And three more cats' physical remains rest for eternity on the grounds of where the folks make their home now. My brother-in-law interred the long-lived feline of his family in their back yard a few years ago, no problem then either.
When I was making "arrangements" for Weasie (ultimately choosing cremation) the vet's office manager matter-of-factly told me that one option would be to have the carcass returned to me after euthanasia. The unspoken assumption was that had I gone that route it would've meant putting the body into the ground as is. Although there's a law against it, everybody quietly ignores it and no harm is done.
All of which is to say, when something like a cat-occupancy limit goes on the books it's largely disregarded. Other than being used in court against a hoarder I don't foresee its ever being enforced. I'd have a rap sheet many pages long if I'd been arrested every time in my life I've jaywalked, spat in a gutter, flicked a cigarette butt into the street, etc. These kinds of ordinances fall into that category, minor quality-of-life things which are rarely brought into play.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
There are also ordinances in most places which prohibit the burial of animal carcasses on private property. But no one called the authorities on my dad when he buried a kitten claimed by distemper behind the house where we lived at the time. And three more cats' physical remains rest for eternity on the grounds of where the folks make their home now. My brother-in-law interred the long-lived feline of his family in their back yard a few years ago, no problem then either.
When I was making "arrangements" for Weasie (ultimately choosing cremation) the vet's office manager matter-of-factly told me that one option would be to have the carcass returned to me after euthanasia. The unspoken assumption was that had I gone that route it would've meant putting the body into the ground as is. Although there's a law against it, everybody quietly ignores it and no harm is done.
All of which is to say, when something like a cat-occupancy limit goes on the books it's largely disregarded. Other than being used in court against a hoarder I don't foresee its ever being enforced. I'd have a rap sheet many pages long if I'd been arrested every time in my life I've jaywalked, spat in a gutter, flicked a cigarette butt into the street, etc. These kinds of ordinances fall into that category, minor quality-of-life things which are rarely brought into play.
Actually, I have more of a problem with laws like this that are randomly enforced. Especially when it can result in the seizing and killing your pets. There have been many towns in which limits WERE enforced by going door to door and counting pets. There are also cities which had pledged not to enforced limits without a complaint. But that complaint can come from a disgruntled neighbor and since it isn't based on the actual condition of the animals, the pets can be seized for simply existing.

When laws are randomly enforced, it can lead to all sorts of problems. Jaywalking, for instance, is charged mainly against blacks in some towns. In one city, 88% of 744 jaywalking instances were charged against black citizens.

Either a law is good and should be enforced, or it isn't and shouldn't be on the books. Allowing laws to be passed with the assumption that they'll never be charged even if you violate them is dangerous. Most of the time you'll be right, but if you're wrong the consequences (especially in this case when it involves lives) can be devastating. And even if you go your entire life without being charged, those laws could be punishing people in your town who had the bad luck to cross someone else, or who have a different skin color or are poor (laws are always charged more often in poor areas)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats