Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

Chicago Bank Steps in to Save Boots The Cat - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:07 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,541,484 times
Sad that ALL the other applicants that were not selected chose not to adopt a different cat.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Sad that ALL the other applicants that were not selected chose not to adopt a different cat.
Yes, but even if one life is saved, that's one story with a happy ending.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:11 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,432,005 times
That happens so often. A dog or cat with a story that tugs at your heart, that's featured in the news, always get tons of applicants. Most of them don't go on to adopt another pet. I don't understand it. And yes, it's one happy ending, but why aren't there more happy endings? I guess people are just impulsive, but it's pretty sad to me.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:20 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
The story of Boots being saved by the Bank is a few months old. The adoption is new.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:50 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,672,937 times
My neighbor went to the hospital with cancer; her two adult children couldn't wait to take her cats someplace to put them down. As they stood in her doorway laughing about it, it took all my strength to keep from expressing myself. When the other neighbors found out, none of us could understand why they didn't just let a neighbor take the cats. The pets really have no say when their owner dies but there is information through the ASPCA regarding those situations.

Glad someone else had a better outcome.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:57 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
My friend Vera had a cat who was her very best friend. She & Annie traveled across the country together w/ Annie (a teeny orange Persian) sitting on the dashboard. Annie hated visitors because they took part of her attention away & would glare at anyone who dared to come into the house. When Vera became ill, she told us that Annie should be put to sleep because she would never adjust to anyone else.
After Vera died, several people tried to take Annie home , but she would not allow anyone to come within one foot of her. That tiny creature would hiss and snarl & scratch and bite. She was so angry.

So in the end, her son took Annie to the vet to have her put to sleep and she and Vera are scattered together somewhere in Monterey Bay.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-09-2012, 10:35 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,854,517 times
I'm sorry, but people who want their healthy pets killed (not euthanized...euthanize only applies when it is done to relieve suffering) when they die are selfish. It's pure hubris. If an animal could adjust to them, they can adjust again. It may take a lot of time and patience, but it is possible.

JJ is one of the most difficult cats there is both behaviorally and medically. He has no patience for anyone but me and financially he's a sinkhole. I would never have him killed...I'm not so special that I think I'm the only one he could ever bond with.

If someone has a very difficult cat where this can be a concern, the responsible thing would be to work with other people while they are alive so the animal becomes socialized. Or even set aside money for a behaviorist appointment for the cat and the new owner.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:53 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
I have two dogs and a cat. When I die they're going to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah. I don't want any of mine adopted because I don't trust people. I understand the need for adoption of abandoned and homeless animals but I'm willing to pay. They're my best friends.

I wish Boots could have gone to Best Friends. That's a guarantee of a life free from abuse and fear. They have so many requests that they're forced to get a minimum of 20k in a trust or bequest for lifetime care for each animal. The maximum is six. But there was plenty of money to do this.

Best Friends Animal Society

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 07-09-2012 at 11:31 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 11:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I'm sorry, but people who want their healthy pets killed (not euthanized...euthanize only applies when it is done to relieve suffering) when they die are selfish. It's pure hubris. If an animal could adjust to them, they can adjust again. It may take a lot of time and patience, but it is possible.

JJ is one of the most difficult cats there is both behaviorally and medically. He has no patience for anyone but me and financially he's a sinkhole. I would never have him killed...I'm not so special that I think I'm the only one he could ever bond with.

If someone has a very difficult cat where this can be a concern, the responsible thing would be to work with other people while they are alive so the animal becomes socialized. Or even set aside money for a behaviorist appointment for the cat and the new owner.
I understand this completely. My first kitty was a holy terror. It wasn't her fault. She was terriblyabused by a spoled little brat of a six year old human. I got the cat away from this little monster and really had to work with the kitty to teach her all humans were not out to toture her. It wasn't easy and it took patience but after a long time I succeeded. One thing I made certain was that she would accept other humans so that it if ever became necessary that I was no longer able to care for her she would be able to transition into another home with little trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats