Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 6,201 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm new here!

I have a husband, two girls (6 and 12) a Bichon Frise, an anti-social orange cat age about 9 years and a new kitten about 10 weeks. We had to put our old guy (cat) down in May because of heart failure.

Our 9 year old cat had a urinary blockage last year while we were out of town and we almost lost him. At the time he was eating Katznflocken. The vet has him on Royal Canin SO. I love my vet and we've used them for over 17 years but I can't convince myself that this food is what's best for him. He (knock on wood) hasn't had another episode since being on the food, so I am reluctant to switch him. Mainly because I can't figure out what would nutritional be equal or better. Why is this information so hard to find????

We had Neapolitan mastiffs for many years and one with IBD. Once I put her on Solid Gold food, she was remarkably better and even stopped having flare ups, so I'm a big proponent of Solid Gold food. However, I can't help see the evidence that the cat blocked while eating that food.

We just got a kitten last week who is the cutest thing since slice bread was invented. We received a bag of science diet kitten from the shelter so we've been feeding him that but I think I'd like to switch him to either wet food or a combo of wet/dry food. I was looking at Wellness maybe. My problem is that eventually the two cats will eat in the same room (he's got that upper respiratory illness and is currently confined away from the other cat) and I'd ideally like to feed them both the same thing. Is this a realistic wish?

Thanks for any advice.

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 12:55 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post
Hi all. I'm new here!

I have a husband, two girls (6 and 12) a Bichon Frise, an anti-social orange cat age about 9 years and a new kitten about 10 weeks. We had to put our old guy (cat) down in May because of heart failure.

Our 9 year old cat had a urinary blockage last year while we were out of town and we almost lost him. At the time he was eating Katznflocken. The vet has him on Royal Canin SO. I love my vet and we've used them for over 17 years but I can't convince myself that this food is what's best for him. He (knock on wood) hasn't had another episode since being on the food, so I am reluctant to switch him. Mainly because I can't figure out what would nutritional be equal or better. Why is this information so hard to find????

We had Neapolitan mastiffs for many years and one with IBD. Once I put her on Solid Gold food, she was remarkably better and even stopped having flare ups, so I'm a big proponent of Solid Gold food. However, I can't help see the evidence that the cat blocked while eating that food.

We just got a kitten last week who is the cutest thing since slice bread was invented. We received a bag of science diet kitten from the shelter so we've been feeding him that but I think I'd like to switch him to either wet food or a combo of wet/dry food. I was looking at Wellness maybe. My problem is that eventually the two cats will eat in the same room (he's got that upper respiratory illness and is currently confined away from the other cat) and I'd ideally like to feed them both the same thing. Is this a realistic wish?

Thanks for any advice.

Jen
I don't believe it is. But check with your vet. The kitten should go for an exam regardless what the shelter said about his health. Take this from someone who had an ear mite nightmare once because the cute shelter kittens (both of them) were loaded with them. Everyone lived happily ever after but don't put yourself and your pets through this.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I don't believe it is. But check with your vet. The kitten should go for an exam regardless what the shelter said about his health. Take this from someone who had an ear mite nightmare once because the cute shelter kittens (both of them) were loaded with them. Everyone lived happily ever after but don't put yourself and your pets through this.
Oh, he was at our vet less than 24 hours after brought him home.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:24 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
Everything you ever wanted to know from a vet. Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
A vet that furthered her education concerning feline nutrition.
Kibble is not a species appropriate diet, the "prescription" food scam, how to read a pet food label, yadda, yadda, yadda.
MANY highly educated vets "back" her up as well.

Congrats on your new family member!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Everything you ever wanted to know from a vet. Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
A vet that furthered her education concerning feline nutrition.
Kibble is not a species appropriate diet, the "prescription" food scam, how to read a pet food label, yadda, yadda, yadda.
MANY highly educated vets "back" her up as well.

Congrats on your new family member!
Thanks for that link. With the urinary blockage, it looks like she's saying that I need to:
Feed canned
feed high protein, low carb and low phosphorus (lower than 250)

After going through the chart of canned food, (he's now eating Royal Canin SO Dry with 30 Protein, 30 carbs, 216 phosphorus) it seems like a few friskies canned options meet her guidelines much better! How can that be? I've been thinking that I should be feeding Wellness or EVO etc.

Thanks again for the link. I will have to check more into my options as I might not be able to wrap my brain around buying Friskies.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:33 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
Our male, that blocked twice, has never blocked again... once I removed ALL dry (not species appropriate anyway) from his (and everyone else's) feeding schedule. I feed only grain free canned and dehydrated raw. The raw brands I have tried so far are Honest Kitchen and Stella And Chewys.

He also is now at an optimal weight. No runny eyes. No dandruff (dry fed kitties are always dehydrated to some extent). He is MUCH more active. No horking of food or furballs.

I rotate as many grain free brands as possible. Every meal is a different brand. Never know when a pet food manufacture is going to have issues.

I wouldn't be able to wrap my head around feeding Friskies either. I'm not a "fan" of Purina/Ralston what so ever.

The following is a carb chart that may help you as well: http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=747.0

Goooood Luck!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:44 PM

380 posts, read 833,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post
Hi all. I'm new here!
Why is this information so hard to find???
Jen
Hi
I'd like to answer this question as it will hopefully shed some more light on why yours and others' cats have to endure such preventable health issues, and perhaps prevent more in the future.

This is just some info you may want to look at once you've gotten over the current hurdle with your kitty :>) Glad you visited the work of the tireless and wonderful Dr. Pierson.

You won't see anything mentioned by the mainstream media because the conglomerates who own the biggest "name brands" of pet foods are among their biggest advertisers (Colgate Palmolive, for instance, owns Hills/Science Diet …)

The PFI (Pet Food Industry) also happen to be very generous in funding the Veterinary Universities. Any research conducted regarding "nutrition" is of course "sponsored" by them.

This is why your cat was "put" on cereal - and why the facts, as presented by Dr. Pierson (Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health) and the growing number of Veterinarians (such as AHVMA Home Page) like her who are furthering their knowledge and expertise, are suppressed from the general public.

A Veterinarian who used to write for PetMD and currently does a column for a paper in Miami (Herald IIRC) did a series on why Veterinarians are telling you to feed something which a cat (an obligate carnivore) isn't even capable of chewing; cats also lack Amylase enzyme to break down carbohydrates.
Part 1
How Do Vets Recommend Pet Food? (Part 1: Industry) | petMD

Part 2
How Do Vets Recommend Pet Food? (Part 2: Education) | petMD

Part 3

How do vets recommend pet food? (Part 3: In Practice) | petMD

If you really like to read, this 2006 paper by a Harvard Law student (now a lawyer) goes into thorough detail regarding everything from the Government Agencies (such as FDA, AAFCO) to the "relationship" (conflict of interest) with the Veterinary Associations and Pet Food Industry.

Incestuous Pet Food Regulation Allows Consumers to Feed their Pets Ring Dings and Krispy Kremes

There is plenty more info, but just wanted to answer your question (which needs to be asked by more pet owners) because I put several pets through hell and premature deaths because of not having a clue regarding any of this.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats