Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 01:31 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't imagine that goats cotton much to a time-out, LOL.
Uh......no. They are totally oblivious to any kind of discipline.

At two weeks of age, they have passed out of the incredibly adorable stage and have entered into the maddeningly obnoxious stage.

Time for them to learn they are goats and not whatever they think they are (which isn't goats). They follow me (momma) around but also tend to think they are part of the dog pack as well; I've caught them trying to follow the dogs up into the woods. (It's still my property; I just don't think they should be going up there yet - too many things that might happen.)

I think they have an identity problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
What will we do when she gets bigger and we don't have the story to check every day?
LOL

I know. I already feel like I'm kind of repeating myself on some of this stuff but I think it's been good for me to have had the support and encouragement from everyone who has been following her story. And, to be honest, I've been a little surprised at how much interest others have had in one very tiny little helpless kitten and how much joy her progress has brought.

I imagine once she gets her eyes open, there will be less to say - I'm not sure she's out of the woods yet. But, until then, I'll continue with the updates; they may just get shorter in length.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Uh......no. They are totally oblivious to any kind of discipline.

At two weeks of age, they have passed out of the incredibly adorable stage and have entered into the maddeningly obnoxious stage.

Time for them to learn they are goats and not whatever they think they are (which isn't goats). They follow me (momma) around but also tend to think they are part of the dog pack as well; I've caught them trying to follow the dogs up into the woods. (It's still my property; I just don't think they should be going up there yet - too many things that might happen.)

I think they have an identity problem.
I think we need goat pictures. You can hold the kitten up in the frame to make it relevant.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I think we need goat pictures. You can hold the kitten up in the frame to make it relevant.
LOL

We'll see. I'm going to town in a little bit and I'm going to try to get a USB cable for my camera. Then my kid will have to show me how to download the pictures (I'm new to posting pictures).

Actually, there are a couple of pictures in another thread titled "goats as pets" that my older son took and helped me post. Of course, those were taken when they were still in the cute stage (8 days old).

https://www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...ts-pets-3.html

Old 05-29-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
LOL

We'll see. I'm going to town in a little bit and I'm going to try to get a USB cable for my camera. Then my kid will have to show me how to download the pictures (I'm new to posting pictures).

Actually, there are a couple of pictures in another thread titled "goats as pets" that my older son took and helped me post. Of course, those were taken when they were still in the cute stage (8 days old).

https://www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...ts-pets-3.html
AH, so CUTE!!! Their legs are so chunky!!

(I know how much of a pain in the butt baby goats are...we have to wrestle them in vet tech school. Once you take a hoof to the groin the cuteness wears off just a little)

Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:

(I know how much of a pain in the butt baby goats are...we have to wrestle them in vet tech school. Once you take a hoof to the groin the cuteness wears off just a little)
Aspen, the little girl, thinks it is great fun to jump into my lap when I'm sitting. Then she jumps down. Then back up. Then down......well, you get the picture. Not so bad when she was smaller but not so much now that she's doubled her birth weight. I've had to discourage it and she is learning that it's a no-no.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:48 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Shoot. Now I want goats. *pout*

Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:

Or to the, ...eem,..er,...uh,... breast. Been there, done that. I had Nubians 25 years ago.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:30 PM

Well, I had some unsettling news today.

The whole time I have had this baby, I have had this nagging question in the back of my mind: if there was one baby, were there possibly others?

I had also been kicking myself for not giving the woman who brought her into the store my phone number, and/or getting hers, so that I could let her know how things were going. At the moment that I took the baby from her there in the store, I was in a little shock and awe at how new she was and I was focused on getting her home (a 45 minute trip) so that I could get her warm and something in her tummy.

Anyway, today when I was in town, I went to the store where I got her with the intention of leaving my phone number in case the woman happened to come in again. The same guy who was working last week was working today and I asked him if she had happened to come back in and he said, "Yeah, about fifteen minutes after you left - with another kitten."

Ugh. I wish I had been able to get that other kitten. While having this one little thing has been a lot of work, and I've had a lot of worry and been on a bit of an emotional roller coaster, raising a second one really wouldn't have been any more work - you know, just a couple of extra minutes at each feeding and potty work and I could have cuddled both of them at the same time.

I'm not a big fan of single animals. Under natural situations, kittens are rarely raised as singles but grow up with litter mates and I can't help but feel that it would have been so much better for both of them to be raised together.

The guy at the store said the woman bought the milk replacer and bottle and was going to try to raise the baby herself. She had made it very clear to me that she had zero experience in such an undertaking - I hope she was able to get some help, either by researching on the internet or by finding someone knowledgeable to help her.

Anyway, I left my number at the store; hopefully I'll hear from her.

I went looking for a wind up clock. Did you know that you can't find wind up clocks anymore? At least, not at my local Wal Mart. I couldn't even find the clock department, it was that small (I also don't shop at WM very often) - I guess everyone uses their cell phones nowadays. So....there was not one single wind up clock there - everything required batteries. I wasn't even sure a battery-operated clock would "tick," so I bought the cheapest one, brought it home and put a battery in it, and it does make a sound. I wouldn't exactly call it a "tick-tock" - and it is very quiet - but I have it in with the Baby now. Hopefully it gives her some comfort.

She weighs a little over three ounces as of today. Not enough to call it 3 1/2 ounces, or even 3 1/4, but she is slightly on the positive side of the "3."

It looks like one of her eyes may be trying to open. And she's getting more markings - besides her grey ears, she's getting some kind of grey markings above her eyes and it looks like a grey spot on the top of her head, right smack dab between her ears, is forming. She may be getting some striping on her legs, too.

It might be time to be talking about a name, 'eh?

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow; I couldn't find a USB cable that would work but I bought this little card thing my son said would work. I'm kind of a doofus about some of this stuff (a lot of it) so I'll have to wait until he gets home from school to show me.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Well, I had some unsettling news today.

The whole time I have had this baby, I have had this nagging question in the back of my mind: if there was one baby, were there possibly others?
Oh, I do hope she calls. Singletons do just fine, but you're right that they do even better in groups. It's so important for them in a social sense and for learning behavior. And just to have that warmth to cuddle up to.

I'm sending thoughts out of the universe that you'll get a call in a day or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats