Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,770 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm moving and need to find my cat Cali a new home. The problem is that I'm moving in three weeks. I had thought I had something lined up where Cali would be adopted by a friend of a friend. They had already met, but for whatever reason, she backed out just tonight after she was supposed to pick her up tomorrow morning. So basically, I have three weeks to find Cali a new home. If I had more warning, there may have been more options, but now I'm pretty limited. No-kills typically won't take a cat of Cali's age (seven), even though she has a clean bill of health and is already spayed/neutered. She has no behavioral issues. Basically, I started this evening sad that she was going away (but happy that I had lucked out finding a good home). The night has taken a terrible turn for the worse. Any advice you all have would be greatly appreciated. What would be even better is if you knew of anyone anywhere remotely drivable to the DC area looking for a new cat, but this isn't the venue for that. Thanks. Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 01:35 PM

364 posts, read 448,415 times
Why can't you take Cali with you? Is there some reason that you can't bring her with you when you move?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:38 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times
Petfinder allows people to post free classified ads. I got my new kitty through this route....

Old 01-12-2012, 05:42 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Cali belongs with you. Moving is not a reason to dump a cat. Cali is a living breathing creature who depends on you for her livelihood and happiness. Please reconsider, and keep her with you.

PS You're lucky that "good home" backed out before taking her. Often these "friends" who offer "good homes" to people dumping cats end up dumping the cats themselves.

Cats, for the most part, do not adapt quickly to change. They grieve for the loss of their home and human. They react in unexpected ways. The "friend" ends up not having the patience to help the cat adjust, and off to the pound, or out on the street, the cat goes.

Please, please, keep her with you, where she belongs.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cali belongs with you. Moving is not a reason to dump a cat.

Please, please, keep her with you, where she belongs.
If you read Craigslist you'll see that moving is one of the most often used excuses to unload a pet. They don't want to pay a pet deposit to keep the cat or dog and will admit it. Or they're simply tired of it and moving is a good excuse to get rid of it (cat, rabbit, dog, ferret etc). It's right up there with the "new baby" and "no time" excuses.

To many of these people, you can see in the ad or email reply, that they see the pet not like a living feeling creature, but more like an excess piece of furniture to be discarded in the move. Every area, every neighborhood has pet friendly apartments or homes for sale. There is no excuse for getting rid of the cat because of a move unless moving overseas or going into the Service.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:07 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
and there are groups that foster service people's pets while they are overseas.....

Old 01-12-2012, 01:42 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,794 times
What an awful situation for you. Unfortunately I can't offer any help or advice as I am posting from the UK. I really feel for you, I just hope someone can offer some help and advice.

I am moving home shortly, but I am fortunate all my lot are able to move with us. We don't have to move, but it is a bigger house in a nice quiet backwater of a major City, and closer to my place of work, so for us if our pets were a problem we would simply stay put.

Gosh if it were possible I would have her in a heartbeat, 7 years young is a perfect age for a cat, settled not running up the curtains as kittens do and yet young enough to enjoy pampering and all the joy cats bring into our lives.

I hope you find a suitable owner for her soon.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:51 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
When I move my pets come with me. I don't even look at places that don't accept animals. Even when I got married years ago, if my husband didn't want my 2 cats at the time I really wasn't interested. I find them to be part of my family and I couldn't leave a pet behind any more than I could do that to my children.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:49 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
I personally wouldn't take a job anywhere, etc. w/out my cat. No way, no how, period. But I semi-understand & try to respect your ideals but must question things when I see these type of posts. Ok, sorry to get huffy but how can one take a loved one that is so innocent & giving of unconditional love -- & simply "leave it off" elsewhere for the duration of her lifetime?

I'm shaking my head & cringing that such situations even remotely exist. I would understand if you were unable to care due to serious illness, nursing home commission, etc. but to "voluntarily" give up your pet is unfathomable (at least to me & many others here I bet).

Please reconsider as others here have said. Do it for your furry baby girl if not for you. Sorry again to sound so adamant but I hope someone else, somewhere, reads this that has also ever considered this notion to just "abandon ship".

Pets are family to me & I'd rather give up whatever to help my pet. If I need sacrifice things I want to attend to her needs then so be it.

I edited this to tone it down but I'm still concerned for her well being if shipped off to another. It takes more than a passing investment/interest to take in a cat, & I wonder how sincere your friend was in that realm. Some people will act impulsively only to find out they can't/won't love & be able care for her. I worry of this more than I would if you kept her, I know that much is true.

Last edited by movintime; 01-16-2012 at 12:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats