Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:50 AM

18,074 posts, read 15,664,302 times

Advertisements

I agree.

A pet is a lifetime commitment, not a disposable object of temporary amusement.

It's a privilege to be able to share time and energy and love with some of these amazing creatures (dogs and cats or whatever animals you have in your life) and as a pet parent, I do my best to make sure they have a very nice life with an endless amount of love. I did so with my beloved golden retriever and I do so now with my obstinate wild poo-flinging chimpanzee/cat.

Last edited by lottamoxie; 01-04-2012 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 12:25 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
My cat Willy who hs lived with me for 16 years has become very vocal lately, waking me up nearly every day, but a little TLC usually calms him down. Anyway, I'm certainly keeping him for the duration.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:43 PM

568 posts, read 962,019 times
I have three furry babies and they are all three different personalties. Bootie is the one who will pester me until she is fed while the others just look at her like a spoiled brat!! Pharoah will let her eat first, then Sassy and then he eats. What a gentleman. Furry babies are part of the family and deserve faithful owners. A trip to the vet should be first on the list. Sounds like tummy troubles.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 4,353 times
I would say: find her another home. You don't need the added stress in your life and retraining her would be....more stress! I have 2 brother/sister cats I adopted from a shelter, one of which is a pain in the ... She meows constantly in the mornings beginning at around 5. I've been known to toss her out in the snow. I grew up on a farm and we didn't put up with difficult animals. I'm moving to Seattle soon. I will ship out both cats...but Lily is going to have to learn to stay outdoors. She's a tough one and I'm sure she'll do just fine. I love animals but you have to draw the line when they are impacting your health.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:14 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Its all in how you look at it. She is talking to you because you are the most important thing in her life. She may need more stimulation, but regardless, some folks would be tickled to have the cat talking to the,m all the time. That is all she is doing you know. Not screaming or whining, or guilt-tripping you. Just her way of talking to you.

I have heard babies crying and seen mother slap them to shut them up and then another woman will be delighted by the crying, telling her the baby is tired or hungry of whatnot. Its all in how you see it.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:57 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyLady View Post
I would say: find her another home. You don't need the added stress in your life and retraining her would be....more stress! I have 2 brother/sister cats I adopted from a shelter, one of which is a pain in the ... She meows constantly in the mornings beginning at around 5. I've been known to toss her out in the snow. I grew up on a farm and we didn't put up with difficult animals. I'm moving to Seattle soon. I will ship out both cats...but Lily is going to have to learn to stay outdoors. She's a tough one and I'm sure she'll do just fine. I love animals but you have to draw the line when they are impacting your health.
If your situation with Lily is that unbearable for you, then please try to find her another home, or at least a no kill shelter/rescue to take her.
Just curious... have you tried to find out why she's 'talking' to you so much? There is usually a reason for it.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:03 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
If your situation with Lily is that unbearable for you, then please try to find her another home, or at least a no kill shelter/rescue to take her.
Just curious... have you tried to find out why she's 'talking' to you so much? There is usually a reason for it.

Yea, I/m guessing that the OP is just her be all and end all and she is looking for more catisfaction. When Jack doesn't welcome me with some dialogue I go find him and talk to him until he talks back.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:08 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Hi -

I know this is going to sound weird. But I have a cat named October who we've had for about 8 years and she meows almost constantly (anytime I get up and move around). She demands constant attention and demands to be fed by teaspoonfuls of food many times over each 24 hour period. She meets me at my bed in the morning with a high pitched meow and herds me down the hallway to the kitchen as if she is screaming at me. I have been dealing with stress and anxiety for years and I feel that this pet is adding to my stress on a regular basis. I have recently begun taking Cymbalta for Fibromyalgia which I believe is related to stress/anxiety and depression.

I would like to find October another home, but she's been with us so long that she is a "family" pet and so I feel somewhat guilty about wanting to "get rid" of her. Also, it would probably be hard to find someone who would be interested in taking an adult cat that is that old. She is beautiful - a gorgeous orange/blonde/black/white calico.

It may be a bad idea to post this problem on a public board because I am sure I could get opinions going both ways on what to do and maybe even people will tell me I am a bad pet owner. However, we have another cat and one dog that I love very much that do NOT make me feel stressed. So what I'm saying is that it is this particular cat that is driving me up the wall. If it were a child, I would not consider finding another home an option. Do pets deserve the same level of commitment? What would you do in this situation?

Thanks.
Heartsong
Change her behavior, the only reason she "demands" to be fed that way is because you allowed that to start.
Cats yowl, it is natural but if you ignore her she will eventually tune it down.
If you give attention when you are ready not when she "demands" she will tune it down eventually.
Put her food out and she can eat when she wants, do not allow her access to your bed, ignore her when you get up. She will learn to change her behavior, she will not like it but she will learn.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:46 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Does October have a favorite spot where she lies where you could just free-feed her wet food? I have a 19 year old female named Squeak who basically lives on the living room couch because the kitty heating pad is there and she only weighs 6 pounds. Squeak will eat breakfast early in the AM (often waking me up with howls or even getting up on the bed and nipping me), but she also has FCD and will forget her food bowl after a few bites. Basically I leave a small bowl of wet food on the couch (there is a small quilt I change several times a week) right next to her and she will "snack" from it frequently, then go back to sleep.

I can sympathize about the stress in some measure; Squeak has recently developed a litterbox habit that is very stressful. She'll use the litterbox as long as it is completely untouched by any cat - even herself. Even if the other 5 untouched ones are available, if the one she's "chosen" has been used, then she poops on the floor. And though I have 6 large boxes for 5 cats, this results in constant cleaning! But, she's still not leaving this house.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:23 AM

11 posts, read 21,172 times
Give alot of love and care to your cat. This way will be very helpful to change your kitty behaviour. It will take time but you will get success definately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats