Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:11 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

I feed my two 10 year old Ragdolls probably 4 times a day. They each weigh close to 14 lbs. They share a small can of Before Grain in the morning about 6:30, one again at lunch time, one again around 4 and then one again at bedtime, @ 10 or 11 p.m.

They are strictly indoors, sleep most of the time, fixed males and definitely sleep all night. What on earth do they do which makes them howl in severe hunger when I wake up every morning? They haven't moved more than 2 feet from bedtime till 6 a.m. They act like they have been starved and beaten. Are they just drama cats? Do other people's cats act the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 07:26 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Drama. Their life pretty much revolves around the food bowl. So, heaven forbid it is EMPTY! I had a cat, who made a ruckas any time I went in the kitchen, like he was STARVED! Believe me, he could have missed a few meals, and been fine.

Maybe it is classical conditioning, you are the stimulas, and they meow, knowing you will respond with food.

I don't know. After all, I lay around, and still want to eat...

Old 12-23-2011, 07:31 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
I deal with the same problem- 15 1/2 year old male, sleeps 22 hours per day, gets fed 4-5 times per day.

Every morning, he is on my bed, sitting near my face, meowing at me.

He has learned to stay at the foot of the bed during the 2 hours prior to the time I normally get up. That is progress.

But once he hears me starting to move around, even if I am still half asleep, he will come up and sit right near my face and let out a plaintive "meow".

Old 12-23-2011, 07:38 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Mine starts whining between 4:30-5:30am. He gets louder and louder until I finally get up and feed him, which is easier than trying ignore him. His exercise consists of sleeping most of the day, howling in the window when I'm gone, and jumping off of the couch to greet me when I get home, to let me know that he's going to starve if he doesn't get his dinner. His dinner is about a tablespoon of wet food mixed with warm water, and after he inhales it, he goes back to sleep.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Just reading this made me chuckle.....I would have to say DRAMA with a capital D......our cats want their "breakfast" in the morning on "their" schedule no matter what...ours starts daily with Peanut crying outside the bedroom door, joined by a chorus of Opie with more joining in. They also take their front paws and drum on the door in a quickening pace which quivers and then builds to a crescendo followed by a moment of silence and a repeat of the performance!!!! Seriously, I guess their world is sooooo small that food is the biggest and best part of it, next to grooming and followed up by hacking up a hairball and laying in front of the fireplace. We feed wet food only in the morning and they have the dry crunchy stuff available with plenty of fresh water all day every day and more than a few of them (we have 24!!) could stand to lose a few ounces!!! If I happen to wake up and there is no drum roll going on, and I open the door and go out to feed them early, they are sound asleep, wake up and look around like whaaaaaa?? yawn a bit, stretch the back legs slowwwwwwly, then parade around and glower a bit while I make their breakfast. I'm deadly serious.....no matter what - they make it MY FAULT....either I sleep too late or I get up too early. But....they are always anxious to eat and always ready for a meal, any time it comes their way. Gotta love em'

Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 PM

Jasper, he does not demand food, unless I am eating salmon. He really does not care. But, WATER!!! He constantly wants to drink out of the faucet in the sink. Water in a bowl is not "good enoug", he wants it out of the tap. Okay. He gets it whenever he wants it.

He has dry food, and gets a can of wet food every day or so...mixed with warm water.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:37 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Yeah, Snickers has a bowl of dry food to snack on, but it's not good enough. He just finished "helping" me eat my dinner (chicken).

Old 12-23-2011, 10:59 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
My cats seem especially hungry in the morning also. But mine are sometimes active during the night. Sometimes they sleep all night. Maybe for them to go from 12 AM to 8 AM without food is a long time. Their appetite is best in the mornings.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:48 AM

461 posts, read 1,314,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Jasper, he does not demand food, unless I am eating salmon. He really does not care. But, WATER!!! He constantly wants to drink out of the faucet in the sink. Water in a bowl is not "good enoug", he wants it out of the tap. Okay. He gets it whenever he wants it.

He has dry food, and gets a can of wet food every day or so...mixed with warm water.
Funny, my cats are the same way! My boyfriend suggested a trick that actually works and they no longer wake me up to "ask" for water. I fill up a small glass with fresh water and leave it right next to the sink. They will now drink from the glass and let me sleep. Good luck!

Old 12-24-2011, 07:01 AM

Yes, I have a small bowl I keep in the sink. That cat, I left a few dishes in the sink last night, this morning, he looks at the dishes in "his" sink, and gave me the "disgusted" look. I am in trouble, the house is not clean enough for the "king".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats