Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 09:21 AM

744 posts, read 2,484,269 times

Advertisements

I have 4 adult cats that haven't had thier shots or been wormed in a while (2 years ) due to a job loss . Now that we're employed again and moved I need to know roughly what I should expect to pay per cat. The nearest Petsmart and Petco's are over 1 hour away .So I will more than likely try to use a local vet. They are outdoor kitties , if that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 10:12 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
itll vary ALOT by state...

in ct the normal set up for vaccines was a $45 office visit (per pet) then aproximatly $25 for the basic vaccines and another $25 for the rabies.

some vets would only charge you 1 office visit for multiple pets, ect...

here in the area of TN i moved to the office visit is only $25...so that alone makes a HUGE difference.

what shots and type of dewormer given will also adjust the price...

your own vet will also depend on what the average "anual" cost is because some vets are still doing once a year boosters while others are sitching to every 3 years and/or titer testing...in which cause the cost is divided over 3 years rahter than every 1
(personally i titer test for everyhting but rabies which is given every 3 years.

many people with indoor only cats dont vaccinate at all, others will give only the basics or just rabies, ect.

theres so many variables that your best bet would be first to find out wht kind of shcedual YOU feel most comfortable doing (yearly, 3 yearly or titer testing) then figure out what your going to vaccinate for, then call around the local vets explain you have 4 cats and plan to vacinate for this this and this on such and such a schedual and how much would those things cost, is there an examination fee ontop and how much that is and what the additional fees (like medical waste fee) is too...
(cause while the vet may say "oh the rabies is $20" then they tack on the exam fee, the medical waste fee, taxes ect...so ask about all these "extras" as well)

Old 11-29-2011, 12:33 PM

575 posts, read 1,998,128 times
Looking at my most recent vet bills here's what I can tell you about my area which is Virginia Beach

Exam $51
Rabies 3yr $28.50 but that is inclusive of any "fees" others may add on
FVRCP $21.80
a fecal check is somewhere around $20 but I cannot find a bill with one on it!

I no longer give the FVRCP vax to my cats once they have had their initial kitten series and one year booster. That's a choice I think you need to make based on your own personal feelings about vaccination and your cat's lifestyle and risk assessment.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:58 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,772,572 times
Here in southwest Nebraska I am taking my 2 month old stray kitty we found in today and it will cost 35 to 40.00 for exam and shots.

A little more for vaccine for her cold.

When we lived in Kentucky we took in another stray and he had a cold too and his bill for same shots etc. was 321.00, that was not easy to pay at time but had to.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:19 PM

6 posts, read 40,331 times
Call on the phone to the Petsmart and they will give you their prices. That will give you a "high price" for what you need done. Having trouble replying to this message for some reason. Vet prices vary greatly - and there are also "shots only vets" that normally held at a local school with all shots needed for $20 per pet. If your pet has worms though - you can get over the counter treatments at the grocery store for tapeworms - if you see worms in the anal region then those are tapeworms. Hope that helps. If you live near Austin, Texas then I can give you specifics about shots, and treatments lower in cost -

Old 05-03-2013, 08:02 PM

7 posts, read 23,403 times
You can get over the counter dewormers on Amazon.com for a couple dollars per pill, such as droncit.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 15,209 times
My cat is about two years old and almost had to have his back leg amputated last year caused from something that had bitten him...The Vet. was amazed that he started walking on his leg again...He had surgery so he wouldn't want to roam anymore,but I didn't get his shots,is this important? He is an indoor cat now..

Old 12-04-2013, 06:36 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,388,784 times
I'm one of those who think that strictly indoor only cats don't necessarily need all those vaccinations. However, if there is even the slightest chance your cat could ever get outside, then I would err on the side of caution and get him up to date on his shots. Rabies is always a concern, and should he get in a fight with another cat he would be at risk for any of the major diseases that a stray might be carrying... some of them deadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats