Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:23 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Porch Kitty is beautiful! Poor little thing ... It's very kind of you to take care of her.

We were "chosen" five years ago by a pair of kittens who'd been dumped in the alley.
They lived under our shed, and in our vegetable garden (I had a bumper crop that year; not sure if it was because of the extra "fertilizer" or because the cats kept the rabbits and squirrels out of the garden!), and we took food outside to them twice a day. And heaven forbid we were a little late getting their breakfast to them in the morning! Meow!

We eventually lured/trapped them and brought them in the house, and now they're the most spoiled lap cats in town. Oh, and I'm allergic to cats, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times
I'm glad you're taking care of Porch Kitty, she sounds like such a sweet cat! You're already doing a lot for her, but if you did consider having her in the house lots of people on City-Data have cats and are allergic so I'm sure they would have tips for you. I gather it's mostly cleaning the house frequently, brushing and even bathing the cat and maybe getting an air filter. I'm sure people here can give more suggestions. Thanks for helping this kitty!!!

Also I'd definitely suggest taking her to the vet, getting flea preventative if she's healthy enough, spaying her asap and feeding wet food. Chances are she'll be so excited about the wet food that she'll eat it all in one sitting and you won't have to worry about leaving the dish outside, you can just pick it up when she's done. As for grocery store brands of food, I think Purina One is one of the better ones. Although you can get a higher quality of food from Petco/Petsmart. The main thing is looking for meat as the first ingredient. Meat is the healthiest thing for kitties.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:53 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Buy tissue, you will need it. I also went and got some allergy pills, sometimes the dander is worse than other times. But my cat is worth it. most of the time.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:58 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
im quite sure that the cat is ecstatic that someone is feeeding it even meow mix. "im getting fed i dont care if its nutritious or not! (Signed, the Cat)
The cat wont be saying that when a poor diet of cheap grain fillers starts to take it's toll and she becomes obese, diabetic, has a poor coat, filthy teeth and infected gums.......... and the vet bills start rolling in. There's nothing saved or gained in the long run by feeding a cat an inappropriate diet. A diet better suited for goats or cows.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:02 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
gruel? havent heard that word in about 30 years

Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I think I will call her Porch Kitty.

I didn't think about the two exits.

I got to do something, went out and when I came home I didn't see her. Looked around the porch, no kitty but when I opened the door I looked back and she was on the porch steps. I think she is sort of hiding out in the garden shrubbery or maybe under my wife's car. I can tell she would so love to come inside but even though it breaks my heart I can't let her.
Have you talked to your Dr about shots for your allergy? There are many people who are allergic to them, and still have cats. There are also OTC allergy medications. Keeping your home super-dust free would help. Lots of vacuuming and dusting. It's a shame as she was most likely someone's house cat. That's the life she knows and wants. Have you taken her pic to the local shelters and put it on your local Craigslist to see if someone is looking for her or is she has a identifying chip?

Quote:
Silly question, can cats get heartworm? Reason I ask is heartworm is very prevalent for dogs... you got a dog that doesn't get monthly treatment he will get heartworm.
No question is silly. Yes, apparently they can.

Quote:
I don't think weather will be a big problem.
The weather where you live shouldn't be an issue.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:10 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Nicet4, you asked what are my obligations. In 37 states, if you feed the cat, provide a safe haven (shelter) and provide medical care, you are the owner of the cat with all the rights and priviliges as an owner. The cat will technically be yours.

But you also have all the same responsibilities and liability as an owner. So if you let the cat stary and it causes damages or is harmed, you can be cited for neglect as an owner. You will be responsible for continued care just as if it was your pretty housecat.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
On Block Island RI there's an inn with a resident black cat named Mickey. He's a "rehabbed" feral tom who came with the property when the latest proprietors purchased it about five years ago. Because one of the innkeepers claims allergies (a claim I'm always skeptical of, sorry) Mickey has been relegated to the outdoors.
I'm convinced some cats just like living outside. They have no desire for the indoor life. If they're not constantly preying on birds and wildlife, I say let them be.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Don't forget to kitty fixed, ASAP...before you own 6 more kits. Sometimes there are free clinics.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:20 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
We've had two strays and their litters adopt us in the past three years. All turned out well with those, though much of that was due to help from people on this forum.

We currently have three housecats and three porch cats. They're spayed, so no worries there. We did have a Tom trying to court our spayed female, but it didn't cause any problems.

It's great that you are helping this kitty. Getting her spayed and feeding her and giving her a place of shelter are a great start. Some cats do fine outdoors. Our three stay outdoors because they are a mom and two kittens. They don't want to be split up and the indoor cats don't like the outdoor cats. Sometimes you make the best you can of the situation.

God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats