Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:34 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,621,019 times

Advertisements

Hey! I am having an ongoing issue with my 9 month old male cat. He is constantly knocking his plastic water bowl around splashing all of the water out of it. The water is fresh, he drinks it then shortly after he kicks it around and knocks all of it out, an hour later he is crying and screaming because he has no water to drink, not to mention I have to hear my other cat upset as well and I am tired of constantly changing my socks because I am stepping in the water! He has done this 4 times today. What do I do? Thanks for suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 09:40 AM

88,626 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Hey! I am having an ongoing issue with my 9 month old male cat. He is constantly knocking his plastic water bowl around splashing all of the water out of it. The water is fresh, he drinks it then shortly after he kicks it around and knocks all of it out, an hour later he is crying and screaming because he has no water to drink, not to mention I have to hear my other cat upset as well and I am tired of constantly changing my socks because I am stepping in the water! He has done this 4 times today. What do I do? Thanks for suggestions!
You need to buy a different type of water bowl. Mine is heavy and wider at the bottom than at the top. There is no way a cat can "kick it around", and I have four of them.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:42 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,384,691 times
Ah! You have a water baby cat. You need a larger, heavier water bowl, and you need to set up an alternative water play area for him. Maybe a large bowl of water in the sink or bathtub. Mickey was like this, he dragged all of his toys into his water dish, I actually put the dish on a plastic food tray with a lip on it, because he splashed water all over, and it was easier to clean the tray than the whole floor.

Isn't your water baby precious?

Old 05-07-2011, 11:22 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,057,291 times
In the past I've bought stainless steel bowls that come with a stand for my cats. No way of knocking them over.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:22 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,007,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
You need a water bowl with a broad heavy base. Any of the large chain pet stores carry them.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:40 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,869,986 times
i agree with others, ceramic or something else large and heavy and proivde soewhere he can play in his water (a tap set to drip, a big bowl in the tub ect...) some cats LOVE to play in the water.

id also suggest one of those super absorbent dish drying mats to put under the water bowl to help with spillage.
another option would be one of those plug in pet fountains, the water runs down into a shallw drinking dish that leads to a resevoir so theres much less to "kick about"

one of my dogs is a water baby and llikes to dig in her water dish...
ive found a super absorbant mat helps then whenever the weather is nice enough she gets to play in a wading pool outside lol.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:10 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,772,222 times
My 19 mo. old male Baby Kitty did this all the time and was really making a mess of things.We tried a lot of different bowls but my senior cat Candy likes to lay down to drink so we were limited on choices.

So I bought the Drinkwell Platinum that has a fountain of water and a bowl. He does not play in it anymore and loves drinking out of fountain. Sometimes he bats at stream with paws but does not make a mess, and Candy can lay down and drink as well. Best 60.00 investment yet.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:25 AM

7 posts, read 27,146 times
Yep, you need a ceramic crock, such as the ones for dogs. I have a cat who likes to place all his "dead" toy mice in the water and likes to watch and "help" them swim and then digs them out of the bowl or just leaves them there and I end up taking the dunked mice out. The other 2 cats are not amused by it all. Also, to catch the spillage I use a boot tray. They are long so they can hold not only the water dish but also the food dish and the tray has a lip on it to catch the water and the any spilled food.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 AM

41,981 posts, read 75,252,667 times
Our previous cat (RIP) would splash in his water bowl, spill his food, and create a sticky goopy mess out of both of them. Our current cats are only slightly tidier -- they don't tip over the water dish, just their food dishes. *sigh*

Old 05-18-2011, 05:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,467,518 times
This is kind of drastic but it has worked for me with all of my cats. I have a "gerbil jar" setup. It's one of those quart jars you see fastened onto a gerbil/hamster/rabbit cage. I have it attached to a small two foot scratching post. My previous and my present cats, even my no-so-bright ones, have learned to drink form the spout coming out of the bottle.

It's clean, it's neat and if you have to measure the amount of water a cat is drinking you can tell by how long it takes her to drain the bottle.

I got the idea by watching cat #1 years and years ago drink out of a bathroon faucet. It didn't take long for her to catch on to the spout in the jar. Some cats learned by watching others learned by my causing the spout to drip a bit.

One of my kitties, after using this method, refused to drink from a bowl or anything else but her jar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats