Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:52 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times

Advertisements

Anyone who is interested in feeding a raw diet to your cats, I have just finished writing out my raw food diet recipe. Along with it, I have documented all utensils and ingredients needed for this diet.

You will find this recipe on Garden of Eden's blog. If any of you need help or have questions, feel free to DM me.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 08:30 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Thanks!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,030 times
Hmm...That sounds quite intriguing. I have a cat and I feed her dry food. Would be interesting to know if a raw food diet is actually something that's feasible. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Eh. If I had to go through all that trouble, I'd just buy a live chicken, let it loose in the back yard, and have my cat go hunting. At least that way she'd get better exercise.

Kudos to Garden of Eden for having that kind of patience though, AND for providing the recipe for those who want to embrace the raw diet for their cats!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:36 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Absolutely. Garden, your dedication to your cats is amazing.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Eh. If I had to go through all that trouble, I'd just buy a live chicken, let it loose in the back yard, and have my cat go hunting. At least that way she'd get better exercise.

Kudos to Garden of Eden for having that kind of patience though, AND for providing the recipe for those who want to embrace the raw diet for their cats!
Once again you make me laugh! LOL You are too much! A live chicken....hmmmmm.....you may have something there.....LOL

Old 03-02-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Absolutely. Garden, your dedication to your cats is amazing.
Thank you. I am the one who is lucky to know these precious cats and to have seen how they have come from a horrid existence, a sick existence, a dying existence and turn around to be little stinkers! LOL

Amazing? No, love is amazing, for without love beating in my heart, there is no way I could be doing what I am doing. These babies of mine are keeping me alive in more ways then you know!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLFamilyFun View Post
Hmm...That sounds quite intriguing. I have a cat and I feed her dry food. Would be interesting to know if a raw food diet is actually something that's feasible. Thanks for the info.
You don't know my story, but I am telling you right here right now, dry food is the worst food you can feed your cat. My cats have gone through hell, some due to dry food. Please educate yourself regarding right food for an obligate carnivore, which means feline who eats meat only.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Except Garden of Eden, your raw recipe isn't meat only. It includes sea kelp and dulse, which is a leafy vegetable. It is RICH in various proteins, nutrients of various kinds, and fiber, all of which is good for cats, which is why it's in your recipe. You also include supplements, some of which generally come from vegetable matter, rather than meat. Vitamin E is found specifically in vegetable matter, and not produced naturally in animals. Cats and ferrets, which are both obligate carnivores, cannot get carotenes without resorting to eating vegetable matter. So the vitamin A you are adding is probably a vegetable, rather than meat, source.

Yes, they *are* obligate carnivores. But as I've said in other threads, and will continue to say - even obligate carnivores *include* vegetable matter in their diets, and those things they ingest that are -not- meat, serve important dietary functions in their bodies.

That isn't to say 9 lives isn't crap - it is. But that live chicken in my back yard? Won't give Sinchi the nutrition she needs, unless she also has access to the weeds in the garden.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Except Garden of Eden, your raw recipe isn't meat only. It includes sea kelp and dulse, which is a leafy vegetable. It is RICH in various proteins, nutrients of various kinds, and fiber, all of which is good for cats, which is why it's in your recipe. You also include supplements, some of which generally come from vegetable matter, rather than meat. Vitamin E is found specifically in vegetable matter, and not produced naturally in animals. Cats and ferrets, which are both obligate carnivores, cannot get carotenes without resorting to eating vegetable matter. So the vitamin A you are adding is probably a vegetable, rather than meat, source.

Yes, they *are* obligate carnivores. But as I've said in other threads, and will continue to say - even obligate carnivores *include* vegetable matter in their diets, and those things they ingest that are -not- meat, serve important dietary functions in their bodies.

That isn't to say 9 lives isn't crap - it is. But that live chicken in my back yard? Won't give Sinchi the nutrition she needs, unless she also has access to the weeds in the garden.
The ingredients that I add are very specific for a feline's overall function. Eating a wild prey is a whole different story then eating a chicken that has been killed, stored and shipped to the store. Vital nutrients are lost. Plus, you can't buy a chicken's head, unless you have your own chickens, and that is where the majority of the Taurine is, hence the reason why it is a MUST to add it to the recipe. The other source is the heart, but there is not enough heart per chicken to adequately give a cat the proper amount of Taurine needed.

The kelp and dulce, for example, are the source for iodine, which is needed for proper Thyroid function. This is why I encourage all of you, not to take my word for why I put what I do in my recipe, but to do research to understand why I do.

Yes, Anon, these ingredients are from vegetable sources, and yes, you are so right. Feeding ONLY meat in the form I do, versus live kill, is very different. So when I state feed an obligate carnivore meat, yes, that is what I mean, but, in order to have a balanced diet, you must add nutrients that "mimic" a wild prey, or if you don't, you will end up in trouble, and your cat just might take ill.

If you read the ingredients on a Wellness CORE can, for example, you will see listed vitamins and nutrients added as well. You just can't get around it any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats