Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 02:06 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,669,610 times

Advertisements

Below is a link to such a wonderful site for those of us who do our best to help feral cats, throw-away cats, stray cats, in short those cats who society has deemed a nuisance. I am posting this link for it contains valuable information regarding feral cats.

I chose this one particular section on the website because it touched my heart so deeply, bringing tears to my eyes. By us working together to help these cats, we will make this world such a better place.

Below the first link, is the main page.

A Little Tabby speaks for the feral cats of the world

http://www.amby.com/cat_site/feral.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 03:53 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,677,336 times
One of the groups we work with provides low cost spay and neuters and offers an additional discount for bringing feral cats in. A lot of the people who bring in trapped ferals end up 'adopting' them.

I live out in the country, and its truly disturbing how some people can treat animals (ie: my kitty shadow was thrown out a car window when he was just a few days old- my daughter saw it happen and brought him to me).

Sadly, it happens all the time out here - kittens, pregnant moms, old cats, ones with health problems... sometimes for no reason at all, I imagine.

If I took in every one I found, I truly would be an animal hoarder (LOL). When we can catch them, we take them to be fixed and given blood tests and vaccines, and send them back on their way again. I wish there were homes and shelters for all of them. We can only do what we can do... you know?

Really bothers me that, in large part, the feral population is caused by us (well, people..not US). I can not stress enough to people who have pets to have them fixed and if you cant keep them, find them a forever home!

**end of rant**

Old 01-13-2011, 04:04 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,669,610 times
One thing I did not mention in my original post. Due to the size of the website, I have not seen it all, and also, there have been things I have seen that I did not agree with 100%. But, from where I did go, and from what I did see, this site can offer someone a lot of information who helps feral cats.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:23 PM

i just glanced at it- didnt feel like crying, you know

Old 01-13-2011, 04:27 PM

oh for crying out loud. i made the mistake of reading the story (first link).

must go wash my face now before someone sees me.... ugh.......

Old 01-13-2011, 04:40 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,898 times
Thanks for sharing the link. I did just glance at it for now...but it has some great stories and information from what I saw. I would imagine that there would be some information we all wouldn't agree with. But, it has good resources regardless.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:05 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,442,095 times
Every day I hear and see those cats, the ones that are dumped, unwanted and hated. Every day I lose more faith in humanity when another person wants to dump their cats at the shelter where I volunteer. The cats that we can take in are the lucky ones, they stay until they find a home, even if it takes years! But because of this we can not take in unlimited numbers, we just don't have the space or the resources. But I never forget all the ones who are not so lucky and there are millions of them. When I hear of people that actually do something to help them, it gives me back a little tiny bit of hope ... thanks for sharing GOE. Spay and Neuter is the ONLY road out of this misery.

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-13-2011, 11:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
Well said. I feed two semi-feral cats who live in the neighborhood and who spend about half of their time near my house. After two years or so, they will allow me to pet them, but they aren't willing to be held. There is a third cat which I see occasionally who is fully feral, hissing at me if I get within six feet or so. I feel sorrow when I see him; he must have had a very hard life.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:35 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,002,227 times
Angry ...infuriating

Here in TN the low-lifes favorite way to dispose of kittens they don't want to drown or shoot is to box them or bag them and toss them alongside country roads or in dumpsters in town. They leave them to die or be found by some kind person. Adult cats and sometimes kittens are tossed out the windows of pickup trucks and cars. They take them in a box to a Wal*Mart or other parking lot and give them to anyone passing. Those no one takes are left to die in the lot in their boxes. All too many country people don't believe in "fixing" their cats and dogs or simply wont spend the money to have it done. It's infuriating.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:01 AM

553 posts, read 1,545,399 times
Arrow Every Creature Counts

This is my rescue kitty. We thought she was feral when she showed up on our doorstep with her babies. But she wasn't, she was just abandoned.

I just wanted to say thank you to Every Creature Counts here in Ft. Lupton, CO. They spayed her and vaccinated her, rabbies shots and everything. They really helped us out when we didn't know what to do and we certainly didn't have extra money to spend on a stray that may or may not have stayed with us. (It was up to her if she wanted to stay or not.)

For anybody seeking help in Colorado with stray, feral or your forever pets, please check out their website. If you think you can't afford to spay or neuter your pets, you can at this place! And their feral cat package is only $15.00! There are NO excuses.

Colorado Dog & Cat Rescue, Adoptions & Sanctuary - Every Creature Counts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats