Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:13 PM

65 posts, read 523,786 times

Advertisements

As morbid as this sounds, I want to put something in my will that will ensure that my cats are taken care of upon my death.

Obviously, I would not want them to go to a shelter or a pound.

Is there a place in the United States that will take in a cat and it will live there the rest of it's life, in 'cat luxury'?

You know what I mean....cat trees, trips outdoors, lots of attention, maybe the company of other cats. In other words, NOT spending his life in a tiny cage somewhere.

There isn't anyone I know that would want to take them if I died, so I'd like to set aside some money that would make sure they end up in a nice place.

Anyone know of such a place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 09:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times
no but you can make friends with other cat lovers, when the time comes you might make discrete inquiries about rehoming your cat. Don't mention money cause that can muddy the waters.

Are you old/sick and anticipating something like this happening soon? If so start looking now for a good friend who will care for your cat. If not stop borrowing trouble.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:09 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,773,906 times
Do you know about this place? The Cat House on the Kings

I've read the whole web site, which is considerable, and it sounds like a great place. Because you'd be able to leave money with your cats, they might be amenable to your request.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:53 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Do you know about this place? The Cat House on the Kings

I've read the whole web site, which is considerable, and it sounds like a great place. Because you'd be able to leave money with your cats, they might be amenable to your request.
The guy who produced the video, Jack Perez, did a fantastic job. It's such a feel good video. Oh, and if I was a cat, I would want to stay right there at the Cat House. I wouldn't even want to be adopted!

Old 12-06-2010, 04:37 AM

216 posts, read 830,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeman View Post
As morbid as this sounds, I want to put something in my will that will ensure that my cats are taken care of upon my death.

Obviously, I would not want them to go to a shelter or a pound.

Is there a place in the United States that will take in a cat and it will live there the rest of it's life, in 'cat luxury'?

You know what I mean....cat trees, trips outdoors, lots of attention, maybe the company of other cats. In other words, NOT spending his life in a tiny cage somewhere.

There isn't anyone I know that would want to take them if I died, so I'd like to set aside some money that would make sure they end up in a nice place.

Anyone know of such a place?
I have also been searching for such places for the same reason as you.
Cat house on the King adopts out, and after looking over the website over and over I have doubts, especially since she also takes in dogs and lets them run with the cats.
To be honest, in her case I get more the sense of something like "luxurious hoarding".
Best Friends Animal Society - Cat World
is of course the most famous and most reputable of them all, but they might also try to adopt your cats out (from Petsmart to Petsmart) and your cats don't have safe trips outdoors.
Another place I found that I liked is
Pasado's Safe Haven: Rescue & Rehabilitation of Domestic & Factory Farm Animals
but after reading over and over that they will provide a safe and FOREVER home I noticed they will also adopt out.
This place is in the making and we'll see what happens:
OGAS: A Sanctuary for Ferals, Ex-Ferals, FeLeuks, FIVs, Shy and Blind Kitties
Another place I liked but also, again, adoptions in mobile trailers:
Home
and yet another in CA which I have bookmarked and am watching:
Multiple Cat Household Living Made Easier
Then there are a handful of excellent forever sanctuaries for special needs cats, like the Blindcatrescue in NC, Tabby's place in NJ, and probably a few others.
And last but not least there is this:
Caboodle Home
which sounds and looks like a dream come true at first, and I also was one of the naive folks who sent him a small donation, BUT I've been following what's going on there now since last summer, as far as one can follow from a thousand mile distance, and I personally come to the conclusion that it is anything from cat heaven to cat hell and everything inbetween.
For further information check out this website:
Caboodle's Angels
they are also on facebook
Caboodle's Angels | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=163215580360554&v=wall - broken link)
so for the time being I would NEVER send my cats there,
I did have my doubts how in the world one single person can appropriately care for hundreds of cats, if I sometimes feel just having two young healthy semi ferals in my life already is a handful.
So all in all I am in the same boat as you, and also keep looking for sancturies but also keeping an open eye and mind and heart for other cat lovers out there who live nearby or are otherwise close to me, maybe younger than me, whom I seriously trust to care for my felines.
Beyond that I am faithful that it will never ever come to that and that I will outlive the cats.
But then what do I do when I'm 82 and another stray comes to my door picking me in search of food and shelter....

Old 12-06-2010, 11:49 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,392,370 times
Wow, thanks for all that info, ulrikeV. I didn't know Caboodle had such a bad rep. The other sanctuaries you mentioned all look pretty decent, though. Could you simply request that your cat not be available for adoption? Perhaps donate extra funds for your cat's care?

Here in L.A. there's Pet Pride which has been in operation since 1965! And there's the Lange Foundation which also runs the 4.5 acre St. Bonnie's sanctuary in Santa Clarita.

Last edited by Fatty MacButter; 12-06-2010 at 12:10 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,543,602 times
This is not morbid at all. Just a parents ensure guardians for their human children, pet owners have the same responsibility.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:42 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,773,906 times
See, I don't understand why a person wouldn't allow the adopting out of the beloved cat. In my opinion, a great aspect of Cat House on the Kings is that they do carefully adopt out, but if the right person never comes, the cat stays forever.

Also, when I read the website, I thought it was clearly indicated that only cats who were accustomed to being with dogs would be with them, and care was given in that selection process.

I felt nothing negative about that site, in fact I'm thinking of making a little trip down there, perhaps in the spring, to check it out in person. When/if I do, I'll certainly report here about what I find.

Folks who know me on CD know I'm a "glass half full" person, i.e., I look for and expect the best of people and creatures until there is clear evidence to the contrary.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
See, I don't understand why a person wouldn't allow the adopting out of the beloved cat. In my opinion, a great aspect of Cat House on the Kings is that they do carefully adopt out, but if the right person never comes, the cat stays forever.

Also, when I read the website, I thought it was clearly indicated that only cats who were accustomed to being with dogs would be with them, and care was given in that selection process.

I felt nothing negative about that site, in fact I'm thinking of making a little trip down there, perhaps in the spring, to check it out in person. When/if I do, I'll certainly report here about what I find.

Folks who know me on CD know I'm a "glass half full" person, i.e., I look for and expect the best of people and creatures until there is clear evidence to the contrary.
Cats are just as attached to their humans as dogs are, I just recently had full proof of that with my own cats.
I personally just wouldn't want to think that once I found a place to put in my will for my cats to go if something happens to me, that that might not be their forever home. Now in my case or rather my cats' case, they are feral born and won't come closer to another human than 20ft (the boy) and 100ft (the girl). So they would never be adopted out to a home, let alone not freak out completely when placed in a cage for adoption show.
They need a place where they can be outside and know where food and warm shelter is when needed.
I just check out different places online to see if I might find that place where I feel good up there, knowing my cats are taken care of to their approval, while I'm waiting for them.
With the Cathouse on the Kings I had a bad gut feeling.
The former volunteers and now critics of the Caboodle Ranch focus mostly on the coyotes entering the sanctuary, although they have only proof of one cat being killed by a coyote (and contrary to what they keep saying, coyotes don't eat cats, just kill them, carnivorous mammals don't eat other carnivores, only the polar bear and orca, both eat seals, o.k. off topic...).
I am suspicious of Caboodle Ranch being nothing but a bad, bad hoarding situation from what I see in the pictures of the trailers for the sick kitties, the reports of people visiting there, other organizations visiting, everybody attacking eachother, and I just keep thinking how in the world can one single human being who is also working as a contractor 100 miles away take proper care of anywhere from 300-600 felines .
So I keep reading alot about these places and try to get a better picture, I would never travel to any of them, unless they are no more than 100 miles away, because I do not leave my cats alone overnight, they are not used it, and neither am I .

Old 12-06-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Could you simply request that your cat not be available for adoption? Perhaps donate extra funds for your cat's care?
I guess one could try to do that, if the place is otherwise to one's complete liking.
I personally just couldn't "rest in peace" thinking that maybe they use my extra funds for some other emergency and my Bobby or Suzie are also causing so much trouble with the other cats or humans that they can't get rid of them fast enough.
Aside from that I first and foremost have to find a person close by, or better two or three, who are in my will as caretaker, and who will take care of the whole situation from the moment I get hit by a truck to my cats' final home.
Given that my cats won't let anybody pick them up, I cannot risk getting hit by a truck and need to stay inside and safe .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats