Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 04:11 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,376,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I have a one kitty on Wellness grain free canned chicken. It is the only diet that I have found to control her constipation and blocked anal gland issues.
In honor of Twix... is it true? Can toooo rich of a high fiber diet cause constipation complications?

I can trace her blockage problems to within 2 weeks of switching them off of their generic crap-kibble to the Blue Buffalo or Blue Wilderness chicken and duck pea grain-free dry. They all love it... they're all gaining a little bit in the love handles. But could this be it? Having not heard back from the vet yet, I am digging into what I can do at home, and put into effect as soon as possible.

She doesn't eat wet - but would she, if she became desperate enough? Should I take away their grazing-free-reign of the automatic feeder of the Wilderness kibble, and have concentrated feeding times? Is once in the evening enough? Or will they waste away? Do you, if you do, feed them once daily? twice daily?

Is it worth scrapping everything I know, and putting myself head-first into my first raw food diet adventure, and see if that makes things better? But again.. how often? And as far as cost goes... is it very much more expensive? I dug back into the cat threads to find Garden of Eden's post on her formula for how to make it and her success - with her permission, I'm going to link it again, just so that I can keep all of my information contained.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...-raw-diet.html

If it takes the extra effort I have no problems switching out everyone's routine, to find something that works for Twix. The others are an easy bunch to please.

But I have so many questions!
She doesn't. eat. wet. food. Never has. Will she go for raw? She doesn't even eat half of the kitty treats when the gang comes running. Sometimes, if she feels encouraged enough by the others chowing down, she'll nibble at a few. But she has a stuffy nose. I think a lot of the pickyness of her eating habits has to stem from not being able to smell it, or recognize it - so she avoids it.
All the other cats come and go as they please eating the dry kibble left out - and have their "dinner time snack" of wet food every night when I get home from work. She is present during it, socially - but never eats it. Turns up her nose, but munches happily on the kibble while they eat, to be a part of the pack.

I can make raw food. It would be an adventure.
Or I could take the kibble away from all of them - and try only administering wet food - and hope that she finally gives in - and then hope on top of that, that it fixes her constipation problems.

Could this be food related? Blue Wilderness was the best and most severe dietary switch I've ever made on them before. No more crap fillers or extra guck. But can too much of a fiber diet be making her problem worse? Because this constipation problem wasn't there before, when she was eating the run of the mill friskies, meowmix, etc etc.

What do you feed your bunch? How often? Why?
Halp!! I have to fix Twix, and keep the others from eating my fingers off in my sleep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 04:13 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,672,488 times
MK, DM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats