Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:32 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,825,170 times

Advertisements

Here's my dilemma. We have two spayed females. One is feral. She had kittens last year. The other is tame. She had kittens this year (we just got her spayed).

So, they need names.

I also might name the five kittens. While I am afraid naming them will cause confusion, they have to have names, especially if I get them spayed as well (going to try to raise money for that, if we can't give them away).

So, I want to ask you guys for name suggestions.

Here are the cats:

There is our feral spayed mother. Her daughter is almost identical to her. This feral cat also has a brother (I think) in the neighborhood. He looks almost exactly the same except that he is a bit heavier and he is tame. His owner lives up the street and she named him Smokey. Coincidentally, one of the Feral's male kittens was named Smokey by his new owners.
Here's a picture of the feral cat, but she's hard to photograph well because she runs so much. In this picture she had some kind of cut or sore on her lip, but that has long since healed.

Here is the feral cat's daughter. Her name is Runt. She and her sister, Turtle are spayed housecats now:

Here's Turtle as well

Here is the new mother cat:

She's very sweet. Her back feet are white (like she's wearing socks). She's 8.4 pounds (according to the vet).

Female tabby kitten. She purrs a lot. She was also one of the first to allow me to hold her (the kittens were found at 2 months old). She also has white feet.

Here are the two male kittens. They are hard to tell apart. One is very friendly and purrs when I hold him. The other bit me the first time I held him. But now I can hold him. He's still not fond of being held, but if I pet him while he is eating he responds well

Here's one of the black kittens as well as the tabby male

The tabby male has more white on his cheek that his sister does.

I don't really have a picture of the black female (not a recent one anyway), but she looks like the other two black kittens. You can see her in the video. She's the one meowing at :31 in that video. One of her brothers can also be seen meowing a few seconds earlier, but she's much higher pitched.

YouTube - Mother Cat in the Carrier

Here they are all together:

Hopefully they find homes. If they do, the new owners can rename them, but they need names to avoid confusion.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 05:45 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
I have a friend who does cat rescue. When she names litters of kittens she always finds a theme. One litter (my fave) was The Noodle Brigade : Linguine, Spaghetti, Macaroni, Tortellini, and Ravioli. One litter of 3 was Wynkin, Blynkin, and Nod. Another was Harry, Ron and Hermione. Maybe you could pick a theme and find names that way.

Bless you for caring for those kitties.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:29 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
How about naming them after Snow Whites cohorts, or Santas driving force..

Old 07-16-2010, 07:24 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
We always go for names of long since dead relatives...they had such cute names...Velma and Louie, Astrid and Fred, Mildred and Mert. Or the old TV couples like, Fred and Ethel, Lucy and Ricky, Ward and June, Dobie and Thalia, etc.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:28 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,825,170 times
I have thought about Matilda and Lucy.

I've also thought of Dolan or Dooley for the boys. Both mean black or dark haired.

Mom just informed me that we are keeping the female tabby.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
When I did cat rescue (big time!), we used to name the kittens after drinks. Alcoholic and non-alcoholic.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 PM

258 posts, read 421,750 times
YAY! The female tabby is such a pretty kitten I am glad you will be keeping her

~Katy

Old 07-16-2010, 09:32 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,436,879 times
I think the female tabby should be called Tabitha. And if you're going to give them "theme" names, you could then go with Bewitched names, and pick from Darrin, Samantha, Esmeralda, Endora, Agnes, Abner, Clara, Louise, Maurice, Arthur. . .

Old 07-17-2010, 05:40 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,860,497 times
The little tabby with white socks is adorable. The first name that came to my mind is Scamp. I love gray kitties with green eyes. I had a Russian Blue who was named Gorky Park. We called him GP for short.

They sure are a cute bunch though!

Old 07-17-2010, 09:03 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times
I'm in much the same boat with ferals and kittens. I do not name the outside ferals but the two kittens I trapped and took into be fixed - the vet techs talked me into keeping them in and taming them to try to rehome them. Almost 2 months later and no home in sight! Paper ads, bulletin board ads, craigslist - nada. I'm upset. Had/have not named them, was calling them number 1 and number 2 in order of trapped.
However the other night watching TV I started thinking about The Soprano's and the Capo's....so the names P***y and Paulie came to mind. If I were to follow through on the theme their Dad, a huge ol Tom would be Tony and the crazy Mom (she's so dominate she won't let the other females near to eat) would be Carmela.
These are not really their names, I just call them kitty kitty but I agree - theme's, tv, movies, books are a good way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats