Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 05:41 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I'm guessing the OP knows if her cat is in extreme pain or not.
Just as I know when my cat(s) is not in extreme pain. And no...no frantic runs to the box....NOTHING...but a puddle outside the box. Yes...classic litterbox avoidance in my cats case in a sign of discomfort....put not pain. There is a difference...at least with my cats. One must exercise some common sense and only the OP knows what is going on in her household. My cat has exhibited her symptoms on a weekend...I know my cat and I wait for Mon. am before running down to the vet.

Added text:
OP...thinking back to my years working for a vet: One way to check if your cat does have an obstruction and for a male, is to check to see if his penis is protruding. If he has FUS...there maybe a mucus plug at the tip of his penis. Is he crying out when he does void, paying an unusual amt. of attention to his penis (licking, cleaning). His stomach maybe painful to touch and roundish (distended). All symptoms to look for...As gross as it sounds...if his penis is protruding...rolling it inbetween your fingers MAY help dislodge the mucus plug. At least until you can get to a vet.
Meaning no disprespect to you shelbygirl but that is very dangerous advice to be giving out. You many have worked for a vet but you are not a vet, nor are you qualified to advise medical treatment on the internet.

nd4me: please do not do that to your cat. You could cause permanent damage. As long as he is voiding, he is not blocked. He may be uncomfortable, or even in pain, but as long as pee is coming out he is still open, and can conceivably wait until tomorrow.

As I said, I would not wait, I don't like to think of any cat being in discomfort when it can be prevented, but please, do not try to unblock your cat by yourself or touch his genitals or put pressure on his bladder, other than to gently feel how full it is, at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 06:11 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Meaning no disprespect to you shelbygirl but that is very dangerous advice to be giving out. You many have worked for a vet but you are not a vet, nor are you qualified to advise medical treatment on the internet.

nd4me: please do not do that to your cat. You could cause permanent damage. As long as he is voiding, he is not blocked. He may be uncomfortable, or even in pain, but as long as pee is coming out he is still open, and can conceivably wait until tomorrow.

As I said, I would not wait, I don't like to think of any cat being in discomfort when it can be prevented, but please, do not try to unblock your cat by yourself or touch his genitals or put pressure on his bladder, other than to gently feel how full it is, at all.

Your right, I not a vet. And never proclaimed to be one.But, I do feel I am more qualified than most. But you need to make up your mind...In previous post you berated the OP for not getting the cat to the vet because of the horrible pain....Now all of sudden , it can wait.

"Poor kitty. It's too bad you aren't willing to be inconvenienced a little bit. Cats are masters at hiding pain. It's instinctive. He can't say hey mom it hurts when I pee. Its up to the humans to notice (as you did ) and do something about it. It's not "over-reacting" to get medical care for a cat showing the symptoms he has been showing."

And no, no permanent damage can be done. It either dislodges the plug...if there is one..or it doesn't. Do some homework and check it all out if you like. Or....I'm always willing to learn...explain the permanent damage that can be done to me.
Rolling the tip of the penis (and this is only saying the cat allow it...mine will, but others are not quite as accomodating) between your fingertips, it would crush the plug. The plug is usually a pasty or gritty, sandy material. It is mucus and struvite-crystals. Depending on the seriousness...the plug could just be white cells,blood and mucus. All depends on the concentrations of mag in the urine and a urine with an high alkaline PH.
There are so many factors here...and it is all a guide line should the OP need the info....since she is in a rural area as she posted and no vet may be available.

OP: feel free to PM me if you'd like further info. Gentle hugs to your Raggie!

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 07-11-2010 at 06:54 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 AM

160 posts, read 1,161,823 times
Thanks to those that have been supportive and with kind thoughts for Sam to be well.
He will see the Vet this aftenoon and I will keep you posted. Thanks

Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4me View Post
Thanks to those that have been supportive and with kind thoughts for Sam to be well.
He will see the Vet this aftenoon and I will keep you posted. Thanks
Looking forward to a positive vet report!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,664 times
ME too.. Looking for a positive vet report and I will be checking to see what he finds the problem to be.. GOOD LUCK! I hope it is something simple and easy to fix..

Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
Add me to the list of folks sending good vibes for good news.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
Me too. Best of luck!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:29 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,325,020 times
I hope all goes well.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:00 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,234,476 times
Hoping to hear good news.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 PM

160 posts, read 1,161,823 times
Just talked to the vet and it is likely that Sam has PKD.....
She will give him an ultrasound today, and keep him for 48 hrs with IV fluids and see if he bounces back or not.
It does not sound like a good prognosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats