Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,617 times

Advertisements

Mom is 101 years old and has started falling with her normal 4-wheeled walker. I saw a walker a while ago that held the user in a harness, so that if their knees gave out or they lost their balance, the walker would hold them up until they recovered.

Of course I can not find the ad now when I desperately need it!
Does anyone know where I can find one???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 06:48 PM

50,860 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interociter Operator View Post
Mom is 101 years old and has started falling with her normal 4-wheeled walker. I saw a walker a while ago that held the user in a harness, so that if their knees gave out or they lost their balance, the walker would hold them up until they recovered.

Of course I can not find the ad now when I desperately need it!
Does anyone know where I can find one???
Are you thinking of a Merry Walker? They can be helpful and are used in nursing homes at times, most commonly with people who have dementia. However, the person can still get hurt in them and should be supervised when using them. You should ask her doctor for a prescription for a couple of home health PT visits, so they can evaluate her for the best walking device. They may be able to get one from their DME vendor to trial with her before you buy it. If she bought her walker more than 3 years ago, Medicare may cover it and the PT can help you get it covered.

https://www.ocelco.com/store/pc/18-S...RoCv1IQAvD_BwE

Here's an article about them:

https://elderhealthandliving.com/let...merry-walkers/

Old 02-22-2021, 07:07 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,393,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Are you thinking of a Merry Walker? They can be helpful and are used in nursing homes at times, most commonly with people who have dementia. However, the person can still get hurt in them and should be supervised when using them. You should ask her doctor for a prescription for a couple of home health PT visits, so they can evaluate her for the best walking device. They may be able to get one from their DME vendor to trial with her before you buy it. If she bought her walker more than 3 years ago, Medicare may cover it and the PT can help you get it covered.

https://www.ocelco.com/store/pc/18-S...RoCv1IQAvD_BwE

Here's an article about them:

https://elderhealthandliving.com/let...merry-walkers/
Very interesting! I especially liked the question about whether it could be considered a "restraint" with the answer being it is similar to the use of a bed assist rail. Not to "derail" (excuse the pun) the thread but the nursing home my sister was in wouldn't allow a bed assist rail for that very reason - they considered it a restraint.

Rules really need to be made in context to allow patients the absolute most mobility, especially once a doctor prescribes the device in question!

...good luck OP!

Old 02-22-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Very interesting! I especially liked the question about whether it could be considered a "restraint" with the answer being it is similar to the use of a bed assist rail. Not to "derail" (excuse the pun) the thread but the nursing home my sister was in wouldn't allow a bed assist rail for that very reason - they considered it a restraint.

Rules really need to be made in context to allow patients the absolute most mobility, especially once a doctor prescribes the device in question!

...good luck OP!
I agree. I don't like that they are getting rid of bed rails. The last time my mother went to Manor Care for rehab, we found they had removed them, and my mother was not only scared of falling out of bed without them, but she couldn't pull herself up in bed or come to sitting without someone pulling her.

Old 02-23-2021, 05:39 PM

433 posts, read 533,182 times
Reneeh63 said---Very interesting! I especially liked the question about whether it could be considered a "restraint" with the answer being it is similar to the use of a bed assist rail. Not to "derail" (excuse the pun) the thread but the nursing home my sister was in wouldn't allow a bed assist rail for that very reason - they considered it a restraint.
Rules really need to be made in context to allow patients the absolute most mobility, especially once a doctor prescribes the device in question!"

Ocnjgirl said---I agree. I don't like that they are getting rid of bed rails. The last time my mother went to Manor Care for rehab, we found they had removed them, and my mother was not only scared of falling out of bed without them, but she couldn't pull herself up in bed or come to sitting without someone pulling her."

I couldn't agree more. My wife broke her hip and subsequently dislocated it three times because of getting out of bed by herself (dementia.) I understand the thinking behind the law(s) but situations vary. They are also getting rid of bed/chair alarms.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bound2TN View Post
Reneeh63 said---Very interesting! I especially liked the question about whether it could be considered a "restraint" with the answer being it is similar to the use of a bed assist rail. Not to "derail" (excuse the pun) the thread but the nursing home my sister was in wouldn't allow a bed assist rail for that very reason - they considered it a restraint.
Rules really need to be made in context to allow patients the absolute most mobility, especially once a doctor prescribes the device in question!"

Ocnjgirl said---I agree. I don't like that they are getting rid of bed rails. The last time my mother went to Manor Care for rehab, we found they had removed them, and my mother was not only scared of falling out of bed without them, but she couldn't pull herself up in bed or come to sitting without someone pulling her."

I couldn't agree more. My wife broke her hip and subsequently dislocated it three times because of getting out of bed by herself (dementia.) I understand the thinking behind the law(s) but situations vary. They are also getting rid of bed/chair alarms.
I didn't know that! What are they using in their place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving