Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 08:09 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times

Advertisements

Please forgive me- I am very clueless when it comes to this...

I was previously leasing a car. I was required to carry 100,000 person/300,000 accident. I have now purchased a car- not a lease. Should I lower my insurance? Rather, is it safe to do so? And if so, to what?
I don't want to waste money if it is necessary.
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Get the highest liability you can! It's cheap and a lifesaver if you're ever in a big at-fault wreck.

If you want to save money on car insurance....skip the collision coverage or take a high deductible.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:04 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Are you making payments? If so, you need full coverage with comp and collision. Are you a homeowner or do you have significant assets? If so, keep your liability coverage where it is or even consider raising it.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Please forgive me- I am very clueless when it comes to this...

I was previously leasing a car. I was required to carry 100,000 person/300,000 accident. I have now purchased a car- not a lease. Should I lower my insurance? Rather, is it safe to do so? And if so, to what?
I don't want to waste money if it is necessary.
TIA
Have you compared rates, Jaynarie?

I bet you're gonna be surprised at how little your premium drops when you lower your liability. Usually not worth the risk considering the costs involved with a simple accident nowadays.

To answer your question . . . NO, leave it as is or maybe raise it after you've compared rates.

Good Luck

Old 09-30-2008, 11:18 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Please keep the current coverage you have. Anything less would be foolish. Think of how easily it would be for any of us to be involved in an accident with a fatality involved. Better safe than sorry, because the other insurance company will come after you big time. I am an automobile insurance underwriter, with insurance training, and would never recommend the low limits that many policies are written for.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:18 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
Remember that @ $100,000/300,000 you are not insuring your car. You are insuring your assets. If you have money in a bank, own a house or stocks it could all be at risk if your insurance policy does not cover expenses in an at fault accident. Keep the coverage unless your car is the only thing you own.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 PM

253 posts, read 1,182,079 times
I would keep your policy at what it is at if not raise it, and I am speaking from experience. I recently had an accident (not my fault, but we can't find the other driver) and it is being covered under my comprehensive. I didn't realize that I only had 5K of med-pay coverage, so I'm going to be out of pocket on a lot of medical bills. That amount had been "pre-filled" in when I signed up for my policy online and I didn't realize that "bodily injury" meant other people, not me. Totally my fault for not learning more about my policy, but it did teach me a lesson and I would never lower my coverage. I recently upped my policy as high as I could, signed up for an umbrella policy, and signed up for Aflac as well (though I realize some of this may be overkill and I may drop the Aflac). At any rate, I would hate for anyone to ever go through what I did or be waiting on medical bills as I am now. I know everyone thinks "it could never happen to me" but it is always a possibility we need to be prepared for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance