Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 08:37 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Would you say, then, that the federal government in Canada is weaker than in the US?
That would take a whole new thread, as it's complicated. States and Provinces have different powers, as do PM's and Presidents, and one would have to decide which power is stronger.

In regards to Quebec, I wouldn't say the Federal government is weaker, they have made a different relationship with Quebec granted, but one has to look at our history as to understand why. One hint. A trait that Canadians cherish is compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 12:14 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,773,085 times
Quote:
Or LA and San Diego, where properties are at least as expensive, per square foot, as Toronto.
Don't you do any research? Where do you get your ideas? Please don't try to BS us and pretend to be an expert.

https://torontostoreys.com/cost-of-h...e%20Vancouver.

These recent prices for an average square foot were calculated from sales made from between January 1st and June 30, 2019...Vancouver not only ranked first in Canada but the 112th most expensive place to live in from a global perspective. Surprisingly, this was the first time in the survey’s three year history that a detached home in Vancouver’s west end fell below $1,000 per square foot, dropping 13.74 per cent to $990 per square foot from $1,147 last year.

Toronto ranked a close second at $994 per square foot (an increase of 10 per cent compared to last year).

https://www.zillow.com/los-angeles-ca/home-values/

The median list price per square foot in Los Angeles is $551, which is higher than the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim Metro average of $447.

https://www.zillow.com/san-diego-ca/home-values/

The median list price per square foot in San Diego is $487, which is higher than the San Diego-Carlsbad Metro average of $390.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 06-15-2020 at 12:22 AM..

Old 06-15-2020, 06:31 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,129,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That would take a whole new thread, as it's complicated. States and Provinces have different powers, as do PM's and Presidents, and one would have to decide which power is stronger.

In regards to Quebec, I wouldn't say the Federal government is weaker, they have made a different relationship with Quebec granted, but one has to look at our history as to understand why. One hint. A trait that Canadians cherish is compromise.
I think this is a pretty good way to describe it. Discussing whether US states or Canadian provinces are more powerful or have more autonomy is apples-oranges most of the time.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:33 AM

30,581 posts, read 19,310,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Why are homes more costly in Canada than the US? I can see big cities like Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal but why are homes so costly even in really small cities like Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg yes even places like Thunder Bay, Windsor and London?

And most of these places the population are not going up much at all like Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal.

In many places in the US you can still get home for $100,000 and $200,000. Even Canada being second biggest country in world when it comes to land, you cannot get even a ghetto home in Canada for $200,000 or $300,000 or even in small cities like Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg.

I'm just wondering why homes more costly in Canada than the US.
My theories in no particular order:
1. More regulation in Canada
2. USA has millions of motivated often illegal Mexicans that construct houses cheaply
3. Canada motivated wealthy foreign buyers
4. Areas of the USA with large pockets of the demographic that cause most of the violent crime have the effect of dropping housing prices very low in those areas
5. High property taxes in certain areas of the USA hold down the prices

Old 06-15-2020, 10:46 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,942,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
My theories in no particular order:
1. More regulation in Canada
2. USA has millions of motivated often illegal Mexicans that construct houses cheaply
3. Canada motivated wealthy foreign buyers
4. Areas of the USA with large pockets of the demographic that cause most of the violent crime have the effect of dropping housing prices very low in those areas
5. High property taxes in certain areas of the USA hold down the prices
This is true, I remember a topic in the Detroit forum once about '1$ houses' in Detroit. The caveats were:

- there was like $6k or more in delinquent taxes on the property that you have to pay when you buy it
- the properties were abandoned and could get scrapped any time
- in the areas the properties were located in there was gunfire going back and forth all night long

These days Detroit has improved and there are no more 1$ houses. But the less desirable areas do lower the average property values a lot and Canada hardly has any really bad areas. In the end you get what you pay for.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:26 AM

3,632 posts, read 3,429,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Quebec is also stricter in terms of allowing outsiders such as us Americans to directly move to, so much that there have been stories of people having to move to another province first before settling in Quebec.
Quote:
This is true. Many may not realize but Quebec has it's own immigration policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Canada overall has a two tiered immigration system. It's called the Provincial Nominee Program.
Quote:
In regards to Quebec, I wouldn't say the Federal government is weaker, they have made a different relationship with Quebec....
Okay, let's clear up a few of the above misconceptions as regards Quebec's and Canada's immigration policies.

First of all, the federal government of Canada has not made a different relationship with Quebec in regards to immigration. Each province of Canada has the power to do just like Quebec does: see Constitution s. 95. In a nutshell, this section allows a province to control immigration into the province from outside Canada (i.e. select the immigrants it wants from outside Canada), subject to federal law--so, for example, no province can select a convicted murderer as an immigrant, as that would contravene federal law on immigration.

Thing is, except for Quebec, no province has exercised their immigration powers under Constitution s. 95. For Quebec, this works: as a French-speaking province, it prefers immigrants from French-speaking places such as France, Haiti, and Senegal, and selects them over those who don't speak French. This is fine by the Canadian government under Constitution s. 95. Americans don't tend to speak French, so Quebec doesn't want Americans unless they can demonstrate that they do.

As for the "Provincial Nominee Program," it doesn't work in the same way. A province might suggest to the federal government that they might like more immigrants, even certain kinds of ones ("we need immigrants who are farmers"), and the feds will do their best to accommodate that request. But there are no guarantees that that will occur. This is a lot more complicated than I can explain here, but I will say that unless a province invokes its rights under Constitution s. 95 (as Quebec did), any "Provincial Nominee Program" is merely a suggestion, not a constitutionally-mandated right, as Quebec enjoys.

If "there have been stories of [Americans] having to move to another province first before settling in Quebec," then all this is why. Canada welcomes American immigrants; and after legally arriving as a permanent resident in any province other than Quebec, they are free to move to Quebec (Charter s. 6). And Quebec can do nothing about people from other provinces moving to Quebec.

Hope this helps to clear up the misunderstandings.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:10 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Okay, let's clear up a few of the above misconceptions as regards Quebec's and Canada's immigration policies.

First of all, the federal government of Canada has not made a different relationship with Quebec in regards to immigration. Each province of Canada has the power to do just like Quebec does: see Constitution s. 95. In a nutshell, this section allows a province to control immigration into the province from outside Canada (i.e. select the immigrants it wants from outside Canada), subject to federal law--so, for example, no province can select a convicted murderer as an immigrant, as that would contravene federal law on immigration.

Thing is, except for Quebec, no province has exercised their immigration powers under Constitution s. 95. For Quebec, this works: as a French-speaking province, it prefers immigrants from French-speaking places such as France, Haiti, and Senegal, and selects them over those who don't speak French. This is fine by the Canadian government under Constitution s. 95. Americans don't tend to speak French, so Quebec doesn't want Americans unless they can demonstrate that they do.

As for the "Provincial Nominee Program," it doesn't work in the same way. A province might suggest to the federal government that they might like more immigrants, even certain kinds of ones ("we need immigrants who are farmers"), and the feds will do their best to accommodate that request. But there are no guarantees that that will occur. This is a lot more complicated than I can explain here, but I will say that unless a province invokes its rights under Constitution s. 95 (as Quebec did), any "Provincial Nominee Program" is merely a suggestion, not a constitutionally-mandated right, as Quebec enjoys.

If "there have been stories of [Americans] having to move to another province first before settling in Quebec," then all this is why. Canada welcomes American immigrants; and after legally arriving as a permanent resident in any province other than Quebec, they are free to move to Quebec (Charter s. 6). And Quebec can do nothing about people from other provinces moving to Quebec.

Thanks Chevy.

Old 06-16-2020, 12:09 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,129,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

These are good points.

As you said, there are lots of people who use the system to their advantage. I.e. getting accepted by the provincial nominee program of one province (because your profile suits their criteria more) while you intend to settle in another. While you must "land" in the province that accepted you, once in the country you have freedom of mobility to move to other provinces.

Old 06-16-2020, 02:24 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,318,782 times
Quote:
Or LA and San Diego, where properties are at least as expensive, per square foot, as Toronto.
What stuff are you smoking??

1.4M villa in La Jolla, pretty much one of the most desirable zip codes in California with fantastic weather, swimming pool, etc...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...16858117_zpid/

Condos (and not big ones, we are talking ~ 1000 sq/ft) are changing hands in the mid to high 700 in bloody Mosquito Creek area North Vancouver and no view....

Old 06-16-2020, 02:46 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,981,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
What stuff are you smoking??

1.4M villa in La Jolla, pretty much one of the most desirable zip codes in California with fantastic weather, swimming pool, etc...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...16858117_zpid/

Condos (and not big ones, we are talking ~ 1000 sq/ft) are changing hands in the mid to high 700 in bloody Mosquito Creek area North Vancouver and no view....
I said Toronto, not Vancouver.

And I am talking about metro area to metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada