Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Saskatchewan is more similar to
Alberta 6 40.00%
Manitoba 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 10:44 AM

380 posts, read 431,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Interesting article. More like Alberta, I think although the western part of Manitoba and Saskatchewan have a similar vibe. The Red River is the dividing line between east and west in Manitoba.
Definitely. My analysis of this can only be based on what I saw from the T-Can. I certainly feel that west of Winnipeg feels like Saskatchewan to some degree, but once you also get into western Saskatchewan it feels like western Alberta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 11:57 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
Definitely. My analysis of this can only be based on what I saw from the T-Can. I certainly feel that west of Winnipeg feels like Saskatchewan to some degree, but once you also get into western Saskatchewan it feels like western Alberta.
Good point. I suppose western Alberta and eastern BC also are similar.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:26 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Good point. I suppose western Alberta and eastern BC also are similar.
The border is the continental divide, but it really should have been the Columbia River. NE BC and NW Alberta are effectively the same.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:38 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,130 times
In some ways, Regina strikes me as a smaller Winnipeg and Saskatoon a smaller Edmonton.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:07 AM

984 posts, read 1,315,210 times
Historically SK was more similar to Manitoba socially, economically, and politically.

Over the last 30 years that has changed greatly as it is much more akin to Alberta in all those areas. MB and particularly Winnipeg is more progressive than any of it's Prairie contemporaries and MUCH more accepting of government and it's role in society and the economy. Winnipeg really has more in common with Ontario than SK/AB. It wasn't always the case but the schism has grown very wide.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Historically SK was more similar to Manitoba socially, economically, and politically.

Over the last 30 years that has changed greatly as it is much more akin to Alberta in all those areas. MB and particularly Winnipeg is more progressive than any of it's Prairie contemporaries and MUCH more accepting of government and it's role in society and the economy. Winnipeg really has more in common with Ontario than SK/AB. It wasn't always the case but the schism has grown very wide.
Yeah, while it didn't used to be, Saskatchewan is now quite a bit to the right of Manitoba politically.

However I wouldn't go as far to say Winnipeg has more in common with Ontario. It's very much a city of the Prairies (still has that gateway to the West feel as well a large Ukrainian and First Nations/Metis presence).

Old 09-28-2015, 12:48 PM

380 posts, read 431,059 times
Myself and two friends drove from Toronto to Winnipeg and back in June as a larger part of our Western Canadian Road Trip. We came up through the United States, and it took 24 hours give or take (with an overnight stop in Wisconsin), but the thing that shocked me as we came into Winnipeg was the control city for the Trans-Canada EB was Kenora, Ontario. Here I've driven 24 hours only to be an hour or two from my home province. Living in Southern Ontario you sometimes don't appreciate the vastness of the province, but I digress.

I didn't spend enough time in Winnipeg to make any firm conclusions as to whether it had anything in common with Ontario. But, it is also my impression that the extreme western part of Ontario has more in common with Manitoba than the rest of Ontario. I know once you get west of Winnipeg you're pretty much into the Prairies, but what is the case heading EB on the T-Can from Winnipeg? Does the Prairie landscape continue for a bit or are you into Canadian Shield pretty quickly?

Old 09-28-2015, 01:37 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,846 times
Manitoba is flat but unlike Saskatchewan it has a lot of trees and lakes. This is one way it is more similar to Ontario.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:54 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Manitoba is flat but unlike Saskatchewan it has a lot of trees and lakes. This is one way it is more similar to Ontario.
Have you ever been to Saskatchewan, or, I don't know, looked at a map? Fully half the province is boreal forest and lakes.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
But, it is also my impression that the extreme western part of Ontario has more in common with Manitoba than the rest of Ontario. I know once you get west of Winnipeg you're pretty much into the Prairies, but what is the case heading EB on the T-Can from Winnipeg? Does the Prairie landscape continue for a bit or are you into Canadian Shield pretty quickly?
Yes, far northwestern Ontario has more in common with Manitoba than it does with southern Ontario. Kenora might as well be in Manitoba.

Think the prairie landscape pretty much starts at Winnipeg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada