Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:11 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,645,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
There are probably more Christians per capita in Atlantic Canada, but according to Stats Can, Roman Catholics aren't a majority in any major Canadian city. They're a minority per capita in every province (even Quebec, 45 % are RC).
Interesting map...

Were there majority-Catholic cities in Canada outside of Quebec?-religionincanada.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 07:52 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,185 times
Edmonton.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierx View Post
interesting map...

Attachment 159193
bc lol

Old 10-09-2015, 10:24 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,968 times
I tried to find the source of the map on the Web but ultimately ended up going to a dead link. It's an interesting map, but it makes me ask, what statistics is it based upon? How old are they?

The large, sparsely populated areas don't reveal much. I think I'd prefer to see detailed demographic maps of the largest cities in Canada. Neighbourhood by neighbourhood would be pretty interesting.

I found some stats with Catholic percentages for Canada's cities, though:
Canada, Statistics by Diocese, by Catholic Population [Catholic-Hierarchy]

I'm surprised that Calgary is 40% RC. Saint John NB is about the same percentage.

Cities outside Quebec that have above 50% RC: St. John's NF; Ottawa is close, at 48%; Sault Ste. Marie; Antigonish; Timmins; Pembroke, just shy of 50%; Alexandria-Cornwall; Hearst; Mackenzie-Fort Smith; Saint Paul AB is about 40%.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:40 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,831 times
Are Quebecois really even that Catholic, though? As in, practicing Catholics, not just nominal Catholics? Christianity is being ditched pretty much everywhere in the West.

The Catholic church, however, considers anyone ever baptized Catholic to be Catholic unless they are formally excommunicated. Their actual numbers are much lower. They still count me as a Catholic, but I want nothing whatsoever to do with that religion.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:10 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Are Quebecois really even that Catholic, though? As in, practicing Catholics, not just nominal Catholics? Christianity is being ditched pretty much everywhere in the West.

The Catholic church, however, considers anyone ever baptized Catholic to be Catholic unless they are formally excommunicated. Their actual numbers are much lower. They still count me as a Catholic, but I want nothing whatsoever to do with that religion.
That's a really good question. The website I linked to, doesn't say exactly where the stats came from. An outside organization that asks people to self-identify their religion (or lack of one) would give accurate statistics. I would think that for Roman Catholic parishes themselves, though, coming up with an estimate of active members would be fairly simple. How many Communion wafers do they use in a given Sunday? That would give a fairly accurate estimate of how many active parishioners they have.

They can also make estimates based upon how many registered members they have--typically, a parishioner is registered to get a tax receipt for their donations (through the weekly mass collection, or other ways), so that can also be a fairly accurate way of estimating the number of active parishioners. People can also register with their parish so that their kids can attend Catholic school, or be baptized, confirmed, etc. Some parishes require a couple to register if they get married at the church.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:42 PM

261 posts, read 275,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
The Catholic church, however, considers anyone ever baptized Catholic to be Catholic unless they are formally excommunicated.
The Catholic Church considers anybody who's been baptized as Catholic to be Catholic. Excommunication does not make somebody not a Catholic anymore, it's just the Church stating that their beliefs or practices are in error and that they need to correct them before receiving communion again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada