Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 04:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times

Advertisements

The Whiskey Trench in Montreal always smelled so good. Sweet and yeasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 02:50 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,421,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
I love that smell!
Me too.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:20 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
The worst Canadian Whiskey is made in Collingwood On and is called "Canadian Mist". We Canadians don't have to worry about drinking this slop as virtually 100% of it's production is exported to the USA. LOL

Old 03-31-2014, 06:43 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Canadian Mist and Golden Wedding are f'n vile.

I remember 5* from my youth, and keeping the plastic star of the bottles as a kid.

CC is pretty average too.

Really, I stick to Crown or Tangle Ridge.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
Yesterday I went to my favorite local liquor store (we have five for a community with about 12,000 people) and looked hard at the Canadian whisky collection with the intent of buying a fifth (750ml). I thought the ones that weren't "bottom shelf" were overpriced, so I went for a fifth of Fighting **** Kentucky Bourbon - six years old and 103 proof - and got change from fifteen dollars!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_****_bourbon

Old 04-08-2014, 08:47 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,285,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Yesterday I went to my favorite local liquor store (we have five for a community with about 12,000 people) and looked hard at the Canadian whisky collection with the intent of buying a fifth (750ml). I thought the ones that weren't "bottom shelf" were overpriced, so I went for a fifth of Fighting **** Kentucky Bourbon - six years old and 103 proof - and got change from fifteen dollars!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_****_bourbon
If you come across some 23 yo Pappy Van Winkle, I will fly down to MISS to get it myself.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:41 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,697 times
Canadian whisky producers still create brands that are ONLY sold in the USA, and yes they do ship it by tank railway cars. By doing it that way, they can legally state, on the label that it was MADE in Canada, but it was bottled in the USA.

A bit of history...... Gooderham and Worts, were at one time the largest distillery in the British empire, and at the turn of the 20th century, their Toronto plant employed 14,000 people, making it the largest employer in the city. Their company goes back to 1832, and the two families were at the very top of the social scale, along with the Massies, Eatons, and Simpson's. The former distillery plant location still has over 50 buildings, and it is the largest Victorian industrial complex in the world.

link to the Distillery District shopping and entertainment centre.

The Distillery Historic District

The Gooderham family also built the King Edward Hotel, on King Street, as a place for their wealthy customers to stay in , while in Toronto, buying products. The famous "Flat Iron Building " at Church and Front streets, was the head office of Gooderham and Worts, for mnay years, and it featured a underground passage that connected it to their bank, across the street. Before 1929, private banks in Canada were quite common. The Molson family also had a bank of their own.

Another Canadian distillery that had it's own town, was Corby's. The town, near Trenton, Ontario, was called Corbyville. It was the sole company factory, and the homes were all rented to the workers employed by Corby's. A nearby town was Bataville, the location of the Bata shoe factory in Canada. Bata shoes is still a world wide shoe maker, with plants in 67 countries. The Bata Shoe museum is located in Toronto.

Walker's distillery also had a company town, Walkerville, on the outskirts of Windsor, Ontario.

During the period of Prohibition in the USA, Canadian brewers and distillers made a huge profit, by selling their products to any one who wanted to buy it, in Canada, and get it into the USA. A ship could load up in Windsor, leave with a shipment to "cuba " and be back the next day. as it was actually off loaded on the Ohio side of Lake Erie. Perfectly legal, in Canada. The Seagrams company, owned by the Bronfman family of Montreal, made millions a year.

Canadian whisky is made from rye, not corn, so it has a different taste and aroma. Many are blended, not single creations. One of my favourites, not made any more, was known as Captains Table, by McGuiness Distillers. It had a distinctive shaped green bottle, that had a very wide base, with a long neck that was designed not to topple over. Nice and smooth, and medium priced, back in the 70's, at about $12 a bottle, then.

For those that wanted a cheap buzz, the LCBO had " Old Sailor " wine at $1.05 a bottle back then. Come alive for a dollar five, was the slogan on the streets of Parkdale, a low class part of Toronto, made up of cheap rooming houses, that at the turn of the 20th century had been luxury homes of the rich. By the 60's it was a run down and dirty slum. Today, Parkdale is sort of gentrified, but still has pockets of poverty living.

Today, we see some small scale boutique whisky makers, who only produce a few hundred casks a year, but of very high quality. Unusual flavours with honey, spices, and other non traditional recipes are now on the Canadian market.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:51 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
Actually, corn is the main grain used in Canadian whisky. Otherwise, excellent history, Jim B., "Worts" and all!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:26 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,697 times
Mouldy '

I have to disagree with you . Here in Canada some of us still call it "Rye Whisky " as in "make me a Rye and coke ", or Rye and ginger ale.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:33 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Mouldy '

I have to disagree with you . Here in Canada some of us still call it "Rye Whisky " as in "make me a Rye and coke ", or Rye and ginger ale.

Jim B.

Toronto.
I have to agree with the Yankee.

Rye whisky is used as a flavour characteristic, however it's a mix of other grain and corn based "bourbon" whisky as well.

It is a common misconception that Canadian whiskies are primarily made using just rye grain.[SIZE=2][1][/SIZE] The use of rye grain is not dictated by law,[SIZE=2][6][/SIZE] and the primary grain used to make most Canadian whisky is corn.

Canadian whisky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Slainte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada