Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would Alberta be a "blue state" if it was in the US?
Yes, it would actually be considered liberal by US standards 21 56.76%
No, it's conservative even compared to the average US state 16 43.24%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 02:52 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,786,625 times

Advertisements

I know in Canada Alberta is thought of as their Texas but I heard that only 1/3 of them would have voted for Bush. Not only that but Calgary has a Muslim mayor, something I have trouble imagining in most Bible Belt cities. Edmonton isn't particularly conservative at all either, it's mostly the southern third of the province that is considered right-wing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 05:44 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,439,829 times
Many Albertans seem to work hard at the whole Texas wannabe persona, I've even seen Albertans moan about the "Mexican invasion" because they ape the whole Tea Party movement. How many Mexicans are there in Alberta, for goodness sake?

Old 02-16-2014, 06:25 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,457,501 times
At one time not so long ago, I would have said yes, but the standards have changed even in America. Calgary has a Muslim mayor? Well, Houston, Texas has a lesbian mayor. But then again, both are large cities. In both cases, it would have been unthinkable not too long ago. While demographic changes may influence this shift, I don't think it's the sole factor at all.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:31 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,411,455 times
Having lived in both Texas and Calgary, I will say that Alberta is not super liberal or considered to be liberal.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,188,488 times
I don't think you can get a true and honestly answer from your question unless you limit the ability to answer to those who have spent years in both Alberta and in both conservative and liberal states.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 02-16-2014 at 07:59 AM..

Old 02-16-2014, 07:43 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,755,874 times
I think if you support imposing a universal health care policy, you are a liberal.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:22 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,533,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think if you support imposing a universal health care policy, you are a liberal.
"Imposing?"

Wouldn't that word be incorrect if the majority of the population voted for and embraced Universal Health Care? Just asking?

That would not necessarily make you Liberal either as some nations with Universal Health Care are anything but Liberal.

It would however, raise your currency on the "intelligence" scale.

No Alberta is not as conservative as American conservatism practiced in Texas.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:39 AM

3,879 posts, read 5,308,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Not too long ago moderate conservatives supported sensible universal health care policy. It was when Mitt Romney was governor that Massachusetts established their universal health care law (working with a democrat controlled legislature)

Just because the media pushes this new sensationalized brand of extreme conservatism, doesn't instantly mean that many moderate conservatives have forgotten that sensible universal healthcare policy was a major part of their platform not too long ago.

To answer the OP, Alberta strikes me as it would fit into a New England style of conservatism. Similar to New Hampshire or Maine but would fall "right" of a place like Massachusetts or Vermont.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:56 PM

3,632 posts, read 3,432,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
To answer the OP, Alberta strikes me as it would fit into a New England style of conservatism. Similar to New Hampshire or Maine but would fall "right" of a place like Massachusetts or Vermont.
Heck, Alberta might be there with Massachusetts or Vermont.

Alberta's conservatism is overrated, IMHO. Yes, there are some Albertans who would like to roll the clock back fifty years, to a time when abortion was illegal, gays were in the closet, the death penalty could be imposed, and you could have health care if you could pay for it. But those are few, and they are mainly in the southern third of the province. Interestingly, many of them are Mormons who trace their roots a few generations back to Utah.

Today's Alberta isn't much different from Ontario or Nova Scotia. Abortions are performed without protests occurring outside the hospital. Gays and lesbians live openly, and gay marriages occur, and even the southernmost city of Lethbridge celebrates a Gay Pride day. Heck, Lethbridge may not have a gay or Muslim mayor, like Houston or Calgary respectively, but it does have an openly-gay city councillor. A few people want the death penalty brought back, but the majority doesn't. And even the most conservative elements in Alberta society seem to be happy with provincial health care--at any rate, nobody is advocating for an American health care system.

True, many Albertans like their pickup trucks and cowboy hats, but it seems to me that that's where the similarities with Texas end. If there is a problem with the perception of Alberta, I'd guess that it likely comes from Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal, where pickup trucks and cowboy hats seem to mean "conservative redneck Texan wannabe." That may be the perception, but it is not the reality.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,786,625 times
I would actually say Alberta is probably more left wing/liberal than my state of Oregon which until recently was a swing state. Though Portland is more liberal than anywhere in Alberta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada