Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 02:23 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,893,697 times

Advertisements

Does Canada have its share of people who believe everything that happens up there is the result of machinations by the United States or some "hidden hand" within Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 03:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,714,657 times
I would say yes. Canadians are no different than anyone else. However my guess is that the numbers are fairly low. I'm not sure we have people stockpiling weapons and food in fear of their government.
As for hidden hands, not so much. It seems pretty obvious and out in the open that oil interests and big business has too strong an influence on our federal gov't. Such as was shown to be true with the gutting of environmental laws at the request of those interests.
Also there is no doubt that what happens in the U.S. does affect Canada to an extent but not by some evil plot by the U.S. gov't, more like simple neglect and just forgetting Canada exists as their biggest trading partner. Again shown by the " buy American " campaign having to be revisited to perhaps not exclude Canada as much.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:05 PM

654 posts, read 1,503,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Does Canada have its share of people who believe everything that happens up there is the result of machinations by the United States or some "hidden hand" within Canada?
Oh yeah...behold the hidden hand with the "hidden agenda"
Attached Thumbnails
Conspiracy theorists in Canada-7572327.bin.jpg  

Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 PM

7,319 posts, read 9,425,686 times
It doesn't seem as though we have as many conspiracy theorists here as in the US. I think it takes a certain mindset and an anarchistic philosophy which isn't as prevalent here. At least, if we have as many conspiracy theorists, they don't seem to make the news.

One exception would be Wiebo Ludwig, an eco-terrorist, who has since died.

I have never heard anyone voice anything resembling a conspiracy theory, other than in the Trudeau years where a lot of people said he was going to turn us all into communists. But nothing to do with the US.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,947,869 times
There are lots about.

There're a few Canadians at the forefront of the 9/11 truther movement (Anthony Hall, John McMurtry etc). CSIS just put out a report on the hassles of dealing with freemen-on-the-land.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
There are lots about.

There're a few Canadians at the forefront of the 9/11 truther movement (Anthony Hall, John McMurtry etc). CSIS just put out a report on the hassles of dealing with freemen-on-the-land.
Do those guys make the news in AB on a regular or semi-regular basis? I had to google them. We did have one dentist here who went to jail for not paying taxes, re, the freemen-on-the-land thing.

ETA: The truthers, etc, are conspiracy theories born in the US. It's hard for me to imagine they have any kind of huge following in Canada. So I googled conspiracy theories in Canada and came across a link I found interesting http://www.themarknews.com/articles/...-conspiracies/

Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Do those guys make the news in AB on a regular or semi-regular basis? I had to google them. We did have one dentist here who went to jail for not paying taxes, re, the freemen-on-the-land thing.

ETA: The truthers, etc, are conspiracy theories born in the US. It's hard for me to imagine they have any kind of huge following in Canada. So I googled conspiracy theories in Canada and came across a link I found interesting Why Are There No Canadian Conspiracies? | The Mark News
Once in a while. It came up recently because of the CSIS report. I do run across them every now and again when I'm away working, as well - there seem to be certain areas of Sask/Alberta where landowners tend to be a bit stranger than usual.

That's a good link, and I agree wholeheartedly that the vast majority of our conspiracy theorists espouse theories that either come from the US or involve the US - I don't think I've ever heard of one in which our own politicians and powerbrokers were anything but American pawns . That said, there's as significant a following up here as down there. I've actually read Kay's book (Among the Truthers) and he spent quite a lot of time in Canada with these people (as well as some time in the US and Europe). It's quite good, by the way.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Once in a while. It came up recently because of the CSIS report. I do run across them every now and again when I'm away working, as well - there seem to be certain areas of Sask/Alberta where landowners tend to be a bit stranger than usual.

That's a good link, and I agree wholeheartedly that the vast majority of our conspiracy theorists espouse theories that either come from the US or involve the US - I don't think I've ever heard of one in which our own politicians and powerbrokers were anything but American pawns . That said, there's as significant a following up here as down there. I've actually read Kay's book (Among the Truthers) and he spent quite a lot of time in Canada with these people (as well as some time in the US and Europe). It's quite good, by the way.
Thanks. Maybe I'll pick up his book.

I think we were reading the OP's post differently - I thought he was asking about made in Canada conspiracy theorists. And yes, there are certain to be regional differences and anomalies.

I don't know of any freemen type people over here, other than the dentist I vaguely remember making the news from a few years ago.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 AM

26,954 posts, read 38,342,164 times
The most classic Canadian conspiracy theory is that Canadian Conservatives want to make Canada more like the U.S. or even desire its annexation.

Probably the second is that all French Canadian politicians (including those who are officially federalists) are closet separatists or at least have the goal of making all of Canada more French.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Thanks. Maybe I'll pick up his book.

I think we were reading the OP's post differently - I thought he was asking about made in Canada conspiracy theorists. And yes, there are certain to be regional differences and anomalies.

I don't know of any freemen type people over here, other than the dentist I vaguely remember making the news from a few years ago.
I expect you're right. Even the freemen are a branch of an American (or British, I don't remember) phenomenon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada