Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

In Canada, do you feel that you have greater freedoms than you would down here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 10:53 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Nope.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,838 times
Basically the same with differences that are minor in the grand scheme of things.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:19 AM

377 posts, read 1,695,852 times
I'd say it really depends on what your priorities are.

I personally believe that the US offers greater economic freedom and Canada offers greater personal freedom.

By economic freedom I'm referring to the cost and choice of goods and the lower taxation structure. Due to lower cost of living and similar income levels, it is simply easier to acquire the idea of the "American Dream" in the US through home ownership, material possessions and family size.

I would argue that Canada offers just as many opportunities for entrepreneurship in most sectors. As a business owner, I am very content operating in Canada - and do not feel my business or opportunity is limited by any means. However Canadians in general tend to think smaller than Americans which can limit the growth potential of a business - and give the impression that opportunity does not exist here. In reality, risk taking and ambition is not as lauded in our country as it is in the US - but it can be equally rewarding for those who choose to pursue it. The only exceptions where entrepreneurial endeavors in Canada are more limited are certain sectors that are more regulated in Canada such as healthcare, telecommunications etc.

When it comes to personal freedoms - some Americans will argue the issue of gun rights make them "more free". This may be true to a degree - but most Canadians wouldn't feel compelled to own a firearm whether or not we had the right to do so. That gives me a greater sense of freedom.

Also, Canada has more liberal laws with alcohol and marijuana possession if that's your thing.

Also the police state that exists post 9/11 and the antagonistic attitude of government and law enforcement provide an environment that I wouldn't feel very free in personally.

Also some regions in the US have not adopted tolerance as a practice. I feel plenty free as a WASP male, but how many gays, minorities etc would feel "free" in any of this locales?

Also the US offers greater freedom in location. The US offers every climate zone on the planet and dozens of fantastic cities where one could choose to make home - so there is something for everyone. Canada has a small number of desirable destinations - all with terrible climates as well. Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary etc are all fine cities - but weather isn't a reason to live in any of them.

Bottom line is that in either country as long as you're not breaking the law - you're free to get out of bed everyday, be who you want to be, do what you want to do - and will experience the appropriate consequences or rewards depending on your choice of activities. That is what freedom is.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
I heard freedom of speech has some limitations in Canada, wouldn't Westboro protesters get arrested if they did one of their protest in Canada?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 AM

254 posts, read 316,319 times
Canada is more free economically, according to the latest Index of Economic Freedom by the (Conservative) Heritage Foundation.

Index of Economic: Promoting Economic Opportunity and Prosperity

Canada also tops the "Personal Freedom" Ranking in the 2012 Legatum Prosperity index. The US ranks 14th

http://www.prosperity.com/Ranking.aspx

Old 01-11-2013, 05:10 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I heard freedom of speech has some limitations in Canada, wouldn't Westboro protesters get arrested if they did one of their protest in Canada?
They tried getting in once but were denied entry for that very reason.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,541 times
I think that's an overly broad question.

Liberated brought up priorities and I think that's absolutely correct. The US is very good at protecting their constitutional rights - and on these issues, I would rate the US higher.

However, in regards to anything beyond very basic rights, I would argue in favour of Canada. As has been mentioned, Canadian society is generally more socially liberal (though there are areas of exception and overlap, of course) and economically free.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
Freedom from bankruptcy due to illness would be a biggie.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:46 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
I think it's more free in terms of lifestyle choices and is more "live and let live". It certainly feels less free-markety though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada