Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,113,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
CFL is alot diffrent game then NFL but it is were former NFL stars that never really made it in the NFL or are over the hill go to play. got to remember hockey is our national sport/pastime so football is not as big in canada and no most canadians follow their hockey teams and no one I know follows the NFL unless at a sports bar during the superbowl or something.

NFL:
11 Players on the Field
Tight-End Position
The ones I know are
100 yard field
4 downs
0 points for missed field goals
Touchback if ball falls in endzone during punt
Fair catch
Endzone is 10 yards deep
30 seconds to put ball into play (before delay of game)
Missed field goals are dead balls (cannot be returned)

CFL:
12 players on field
Slotback position
110 yard field
3 downs
1 point for missed field goal 1 point if you punt the ball and player cant get out of endzone
No fair catch, their is player immunity for 5 yards though
Endzone is 20 yards deep
20 seconds to put ball into lay (before delay of game)
Missed field goals are live (can be returned)
Missed fg's are live in the NFL as well. Occasionally you'll see a return guy at the end zone on a really long fg attempt and one was returned for a 100 yard td a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 02:20 PM

13,669 posts, read 20,809,569 times
I went to a Montreal bar to watch Monday Night Football (NFL) once. The bar was full, but it was just me and a couple of local guys sitting in the corner watching the game. The rest of the bar was fixated on...wrestling. I had no idea such low brow pursuits were popular up there, but there it was. They were going beserk over it.

I have glanced at a few CFL games while up there. Its not bad. I'd probably watch it more if I had the opportunity.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:01 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,110,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I went to a Montreal bar to watch Monday Night Football (NFL) once. The bar was full, but it was just me and a couple of local guys sitting in the corner watching the game. The rest of the bar was fixated on...wrestling. I had no idea such low brow pursuits were popular up there, but there it was. They were going beserk over it.
Yeah, wrestling has been popular in Quebec for a long time. A lot of wrestlers who got their start in Quebec's wrestling leagues eventually moved on to become stars in the WWF/WWE system.

Coincidentally, one of Quebec's wrestling greats, French-born Édouard Carpentier, died just this week:
Legendary wrestler Carpentier, age 84 (http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Legendary+wrestler+Carpentier/3761579/story.html - broken link)

Carpentier was the one who brought Le Géant Ferré from France to North America (initially to Quebec, then to the U.S.). Ferré later became famous as André the Giant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada