Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:53 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about the kind you find on Class A where the slide-outs are directly opposite each other (on the left and right sides). I like this feature because an 8' width can be expanded to 14' and makes a huge living area. But I can't find them on RV websites and dealers I talk to don't know why either. Is it a regulation thing? If so, what's the reasoning behind it? Anybody know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 01:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
The Carriage Domani offers a few, but the opposing slide-outs don't extend very far. Forest River also has some, but the slide-outs are all just a little offset so it doesn't give you that W-I-D-E room. I don't know why that's so; I assume it must have something to do with the limitations of that type of construction -- maybe keeping them low to the ground. Or maybe it's more of a weight issue. *shrugs*

Fifth-wheel trailers quite often surpass the largest motorhomes with huge slide-outs. Check out the Carriage Carri-lite CL36MAX1 as an example. Only three slide-outs, but one is nearly the full length of the 36-foot camper. I wouldn't mind having one of those! Carriage also offers that full-length slide-out in a few of their "cheaper" Cameo models.

The only regulation I'm aware of is that they must keep the campers under 400 sq. ft. or they fall under mobile home building regulations.

Carriage Domani
Forest River
Carri-lite

EDIT: In looking at the Domani information, I'm not sure which floor plans are for 5th-wheels and which are for travel trailers.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 07-07-2009 at 02:01 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 01:49 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
I would love to find a short one that had mutable slides. To me that would be the perfect travel trailer!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:23 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
There are numerous brands of 5th wheels which feature opposed slides.

In the bumper pull, 102" park model class, this feature is rarer, but is available. It's usually used at the rear of the unit to provide for a large rear bedroom that has it's own convertible dinette feature. Northlander offers a 102' park model variation that has right-hand bay slide that contains the dining table.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:49 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Thanks to all for your helpful info. Yes, I believe it is a construction issue. TT's seems to be built on a flimsier frame than 5'ers although I saw one on the FR website that offered a double slide at the rear. All RV's have to stay under the 400 sf limit, I was told, in order not to run afoul of being reclassified as something else, I can't remember what. My main complaint about 5'er is that the baths are usually so tiny that a child would have difficulty moving around in them, let alone an adult. I once saw a plan in a 5'er that was designed: bath/bdrm/kitchen-dining/////living (living was above the bed of the truck) It was a very nice plan but I never saw it again so I guess it did not go over. The bath was larger than many residential ones. The best plan I ever saw was on the Rexhall Class A's They have full-length slides on BOTH sides, which makes the unit a full 13x39. Don't know if the slides are reliable, though. Someone once commented to me that it looked like an abomination. WTH!!! Something that functions like a real house on wheels and this person was dissing it. I don't get some people.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:00 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
From a veteran RV'er, I can only tell you two things we've learned over the years.

#1. Floor plan is the MOST important. Find a plan that you like. Don't compromise. If you have a plan that doesn't work for your families needs, you will find yourself trading more often.

#2. Figure out before you buy, how you are going to use your RV, before you decide on what "kind" of RV. If you are going to be the occasional "camper", using your RV at the lake on weekends.. summer only... go for the travel trailer. Quick hookup, lighter weight, less Horse power needed to pull (although still check your vehicles GVW!).

If you are going on extended vacations to destinations, I find, and this is just MHO.. that a fiver is the way to go. They live wonderfully. Our fiver had four slides and we lived comfortably for 4 years in it. They can be heavy, so a larger truck is a necessity. Hookup and setup can be a bigger pain, at least it was for us. Our friends have a fiver that has a great floorplan, including a completely self-contained bathroom, unlike the split plans you'll find a lot anymore. Check Excel by Peterson Industries. A few friends also have the front living room. Montana by Keystone had that plan.

If you are going to be "seeing the country" and moving... a motorhome is the only way to go. We have had ours now for 2 years (4 slides) and the amount of storage is unbelievable. Does it live as well as the fiver.. probably not. But, getting from point A to point B is convenient. Getting ready to go is quick and painless, and within 5 minutes of arriving at our camp for the night, we are set up and ready to enjoy the sights of the local area. Ours does function as a real house. I have all the comforts of home, including a full size stack washer and dryer. Tiffin (our manufacturer) has now come out with a floor plan that has a full bath and a half. Once again, though... you need to figure out how you will use it. I find that we spend most of our time living and not in the bathroom, so we can forgo the large bath.. and thankfully, there is pretty much a plan to suit everyone...

Best of luck finding your dream RV!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 03:51 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
That's why we're on #5 and still looking! ha ha

Old 07-10-2009, 03:18 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm talking about the kind you find on Class A where the slide-outs are directly opposite each other (on the left and right sides). I like this feature because an 8' width can be expanded to 14' and makes a huge living area. But I can't find them on RV websites and dealers I talk to don't know why either. Is it a regulation thing? If so, what's the reasoning behind it? Anybody know?
The last RV and boat show that I attended at the IX center by Cleveland Hopkins Airport there were plenty of them to choose from.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:49 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
I've seen travel trailers with slides. I'll post a pic of one tomorrow. The trailer has to be about 30+ feet in length too, it's a biggie.
Here's a link to a dealer in Hatch, New Mexico, I see they have at least one used one.

http://franciscanrv.com/used_trailers_for_sale.html

Old 07-31-2009, 08:10 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
I've seen travel trailers with slides. I'll post a pic of one tomorrow. The trailer has to be about 30+ feet in length too, it's a biggie.
Here's a link to a dealer in Hatch, New Mexico, I see they have at least one used one.

Travel Trailers
I think the OP was referring to slides that are directly opposite one another so that the trailer floor width approaches 14 feet.

There are plenty of bumper-pull travel trailers with one-side slides, but slides directly opposite one another are quite rare. There are more common of 5th-wheel trailers, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing