Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 05:21 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,090 times

Advertisements

Anyone towed a Forester?

I know it has to be towed with all wheels off the ground so I'm loking for advice, tips, etc on what trailer to buy.

We would tow behind a class A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,915 times
Well you only have a few choices, a flat bed car carrier or an enclosed car trailer, either a single or doublestack... They are all going to be a pain to store at most campgrounds and you can expect to pay extra fees at most if not all campgrounds for that service. Also you have to think about tags, insurance and maintenance of a third vehicle as that is what the car carrier will be.....If it was me I would sell it and find a vehicle you like that can be towed four down

Old 02-06-2012, 12:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
......If it was me I would sell it and find a vehicle you like that can be towed four down
Is this an Automatic? Using a trailer is a pain (tho ez'r to backup than a toad)

if you must have AWD or 4x4...
Check into finding a Grand Cherokee (or similar) with a transfer case you can put on Neutral.

The older Subarus had tow friendly transfer cases

Otherwise a manual tranny FWD (Saturns are pretty popular due to 40 mpg)

Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 AM

It is an automatic.

I bought the car knowing I would have to get a trailer so I want to go that route.

I undesrtand about storage and fees. What I'm looking for is advice on specific brands or features of the trailer itself.

Are all the flatbeds the same?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
It is an automatic.

I bought the car knowing I would have to get a trailer so I want to go that route.

I undesrtand about storage and fees. What I'm looking for is advice on specific brands or features of the trailer itself.

No there are different flat beds, your most common will be a wood floor model which is fine but understand you will be replacing the wood as the weather will damage it. You can opt for a metal flooring but that adds to the price and also the weight of the trailer... Most all flat bed car carriers will offer somewhere between that 82-86 inches between the fenderwells which will be plenty for the little vehicle you want to carry. You just have to decide how long you want it...16, 20, 24 feet etc. Some people like to carry other toys along with their vehicle like a golf cart or MC.
If it was me I would look for a nice used enclosed car carrier where you could not only carry the car but have some place to keep your lawn chairs, bikes grill, tools etc and everything would be out of the weather and also protected from rocks etc hitting it while going down the road

Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
Quote:
It is an automatic.

Buy Aluminum. lighter and good ones like Featherlite hold their value. Buy a trailer that will hold a fullsize car for better resale. Aluminum trailers cost more than double that of steel trailers.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:36 PM

Thanks to you both.

Do you think an enclosed trailer will have more drag?

Old 02-06-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks to you both.

Do you think an enclosed trailer will have more drag?
Behind a class A? No in fact it will tow better as long as you have the weight equally distributed.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Behind a class A? No in fact it will tow better as long as you have the weight equally distributed.
AND your car will be forever grateful (so will the person that has to WASH the car)

Enclosed would definately be first class, and both the car and trailer will retain great resell value. One of my friends towed his Bell Helicopter and Gold Wing motorcycle in an enclosed trailer behind a Class A. It was a very handy combo.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:11 AM

Thanks for all the great advice. This is what I was hoping to receive.

I an going to look into an enclosed trailer.

Keep the ideas coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing