Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:09 PM

19,880 posts, read 22,788,323 times

Advertisements

Most pull behinds still require some effort to level and get set up. I've seen some folks really spend some time and effort getting them on leveling blocks or using the jacks to get them leveled off. Pop-ups usually aren't that much of a deal, but again some effort. I've seen some cool hard sided deals which require minimal set-up.

I own a truck and like to get in the backcountry or tow our boat to the lake. We bought a really nice pop-up truck camper made by Hallmark. If your truck is parked relatively level and flat you are good to go! Roof raises automatically, I've got solar power for lights, a microwave oven (for shore power only), propane furnace, fridge, queen bed over the cab, table area converts to single and a bunk above that. Sleeps 4 (tightly but doable)

Getting rigged up. Nice soft sided pop-top. Soft walls are fully insulated, the roof is carbon fiber.

Recent January trip to Glacier Ntl Park

And the all important- SLEEP IN WARMTH AT GLACIER NTL PARK IN JANUARY! lol.

There are some awesome campers out there. Great features and good build quality. I would have never thought we would own an RV, and I've considered myself a dedicated tent fanatic, but man is it nice to have a shelter like this when you want to spend a weekend snowshoeing or camping 'all season' in Montana!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 12:16 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,046,601 times
That's SWEET!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:31 PM

Here are some of those hardsided 'A' frames I've seen. I've been in one and they are really nice for two!
Aliner - The original A-frame travel trailer

Also Chalet makes some really, really nice ones too. Spendy, but no canvas.
Chalet RV - Folding Travel Trailers (http://www.chaletrv.com/folding.php - broken link)

Old 02-27-2012, 12:41 PM

Hallmark is a great company! Family owned and their units are built with pride and it shows! Nice touches here and there. The queen bed lifts up on two struts to expose a fiberglass molded storage area large enough all our winter clothing (family of 4). There is a storage cabinet with a closet rod, a hidden vanity and storage.. Just really nice features. They went out of their way to rig my truck day before Thanksgiving while we were down in Colorado visiting relatives for the holiday.

This is the Guanella model, which is their low end. You should see their upper end! Man are they SWEET!

Last edited by Threerun; 02-27-2012 at 12:52 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 PM

363 posts, read 990,153 times
I wouldn't even tow a popup with a minivan. By the time you add passengers, cargo, and fuel along with all the options on your vehicle, you will be left with very little payload to add the tongue weight of a popup. Most minivans have a max tow rating of 3500 pounds and that is pushing it.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:25 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,171,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Every dealer is different but having owned over a dozen RV's over the last 30 years I can safely say most could care less, they just want a sale. My point is... You should not rely on what a salesman is telling you.... You yourself should know what your vehicle can safely tow long before you go into a dealer looking at RV's
^^^^ This was my experience. We had a Ford Taurus and was looking at getting a pop up. My husband and I were pretty sure we had to upgrade our vehicle first but the salesman said the Taurus was adequate as the pop up only weighed around 1250 (dry). We paid to have a hitch put on the car and pulled the camper home. I didnt like the feel. I called up my dad who is a retired truck driver and has owned several 5th wheels. He told me to get a new vehicle. We traded in the Taurus and got a Ford Explorer. Over kill for the pop up but I didnt want to feel like we were pushing the limit. We couldnt even feel the pop up behind us after getting the SUV. So anyway...ya, I agree sales people lie.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
^^^^ This was my experience. We had a Ford Taurus and was looking at getting a pop up. My husband and I were pretty sure we had to upgrade our vehicle first but the salesman said the Taurus was adequate as the pop up only weighed around 1250 (dry). We paid to have a hitch put on the car and pulled the camper home. I didnt like the feel. I called up my dad who is a retired truck driver and has owned several 5th wheels. He told me to get a new vehicle. We traded in the Taurus and got a Ford Explorer. Over kill for the pop up but I didnt want to feel like we were pushing the limit. We couldnt even feel the pop up behind us after getting the SUV. So anyway...ya, I agree sales people lie.
Maybe it depends on the business -- how many repeat sales they might like to have. I've had good luck with the sales agents actually. The first time, I bought a popup but had only an Aerostar to tow it and they told me they would only sell the smallest popup they had for that vehicle because the van wasn't meant to tow anything bigger. When I bought the travel trailer, the first question they had was what vehicle I would use to tow it and they insisted I buy a very good hitch with anti-sway bars.

I would think any business should want happy customers who will return, even if they return years later. I also prefer the ones that leave you alone and let you wander around looking for yourself.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:37 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,325,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
If you check with the rangers at the parks, I doubt they'd agree with this. The soft sides of a popup are no more protection from bears than a tent would be.

We (two of us) currently camp in a Vanagon Westfalia, which isn't going to last forever. We considered a popup as a replacement, until my sister pointed out that to close it back down we'd have to shift all our gear around. So our current replacement plan is a small teardrop-trailer, with an easy-up tent to provide a sheltered "living room" when we need one.
I'm looking at either a diesel Westfalia or California.
Tell me what you think of your Westfalia.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:01 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,617,317 times
We have an '87 Vanagon Westfalia, and we love it! We've looked at other campers/RVs but haven't yet found one we like as well.

We took out the Westfalia tables almost right away. They just always seemed to be in the way. We have a small folding table for when the counter space isn't enough. We find that we don't often use the water tank, since we rarely dry-camp. We also don't use the sink because it's so small that we find it more convenient to wash dishes in a 2.5 gallon bucket. We do use the cooker, and we rely on the fridge - we use it on all three modes (propane, 12 volt, and 120 volt). Our two best modifications are a dual-battery setup with a solar panel, and a step for getting into the top that mounts in the holder for the Westfalia front table.

We looked at what seemed to be a latter-day Westfalia (or maybe it was a copy-cat) but didn't like it. We sleep up top, and the newer one didn't have the ten inch rise at the hinge end of the pop-top. So, no room for feet, and since we're both vertically gifted that's a show-stopper. The van itself was also small enough that DH couldn't sit on the rear bench seat without his head pushed against the top - another show-stopper.

When we're both retired and doing stuff like camp-hosting, we'll want a larger vehicle. And may be one that's completely self-contained, so that we can camp on BLM land and suchlike. But for now - for overnight and even for two-week trips, our Westfalia is our friend.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:48 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,325,068 times
oddstray, thanks for that.

I'm driving a 97 T-4 Allstar (Euro Transporter) and it's simple, table and seats fold into a bed.
I have a double battery, also; the solar panel sounds great!
I like the diesel TDI, I'm getting over 30 mpg.

Maybe I'll find something tricked out over here and change it to US specs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing