Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 03:51 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,531,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GointoCali4Good View Post
Ok when i say decent i mean as far as crime and Schools.

Honestly we live near and i work in Dallas TX which has a HUGE crime rate but i never see it because i do not go into those areas. We live in North Richland Hills a decent size city about 30 min from dallas. That is kind of what i am looking for in Cali.

Reason for moving is to have a new fresh start. there are alot of things going on in texas with family and stuff so we want to get out. Both of us have dreamed about living near a beach and raising the kids being able to go to the beach on the weekends and the Cali weather.
I am going to be totally honest with you, it is going to be rough with 3 kids on those salaries in California. I am not trying to be a snob or anything bro, just up front.

If the beach is what you are looking for, why not try Florida? The economy sucks there too, but at least it has a low COL and that is bartender/healthcare central down there. Just a recommendation. California is a nuts right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The places you listed (except for SF) have climates closer to Texas than the California coast. They're also quite far from the beach. I hope you like sitting in hours of traffic on the weekend.

Good point.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:55 PM

9 posts, read 14,935 times
Any recommendations in Florida ? lol

Old 04-17-2010, 03:56 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,508,188 times
Quote:
bleh forgot about state taxes ...

ok so she makes 640 every 2 weeks making 10 an hour.

in Cali what would that compare to ?
The income tax rates are highly progressive here so it depends on what you earn. I'd say a safe number to start with on the income tax withholding is 3% plus I think another 1% for state disability. But its not just the income tax. Its the fact that hidden taxes and regulations here drive up the cost of doing business which gets passed down to you. Then you've got the sales tax, fuel taxes, car tax, etc. California is an expensive state.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Any recommendations in Florida ? lol
Tampa/St.Pete is nice and looks a lot like Southern California (minus the Mountains).

West Palm Beach is more expensive, but nice, also close to Ft. Lauderdale as well. There are many bars + hospitals along that stretch due to all of the retirees and party people from NY coming down.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,013,742 times
Well, at least you are looking for jobs before you make the move. You bar tending job, if you can even get one, probably will not pay more than $10 an hour plus tips, but yes, she will most likely be able to get @12 to 14 an hour, again, if she can find something.

Most of the areas you are looking at are dryer than Texas (we have lived in both states for many years) but are very hot, temp wise. None of those areas have particularly good schools, but schools are judged on so many things. If you are bound and determined to consentrate on those areas I would take Bakersfield first than the entire Inland Empire. Regardless you will have a little trouble finding a place to rent in the price range you seem to want.

I would also suggest you might want to look into some of the areas outside Sacramento.

Good luck and do take into consideration when you are ready to make the move, not only things like income tax but other taxes, car registration and insurance, etc. Some of these things are going to be much higher in Ca regardless of where you live.

Nita

Old 04-17-2010, 06:02 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,083,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Isn't the Bakersfield unemployment rate at near %17?
That is the rate for the entire Kern County area. It includes cities where the unemployment rates are over 40% like Delano and Arvin. (Remember Kern County covers a large area).

It is 13.0% unemployment among the residents of just Bakersfield itself, about the same as the state average.

Unemployment rates in March for all California cities and towns are listed in this Excel file.
http://www.calmis.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/allsubs.xls

Old 04-17-2010, 06:11 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,742,929 times
Or you could consider parts of the central coast ... like in or around San Luis Obispo.
It's still going to be expensive though but a bit less than other coastal areas.
Cross San Francisco off your list ... finding a little studio for $750.00 in the bay area would be a challenge let alone a rental for a family of 5.
It will be impossible.
And why would you want to move from Texas to the central valley of CA?
Unless you can afford to live somewhere on or near the coast (or want to live in various mountain communities) it just doesn't make sense, imo, to move to California ... unless you need to be near family.
If not the coast of CA, then why not choose an inter mountain state or a southwestern state ... more affordable and stable / sane than California and certainly less polluted and dismal than much of the central valley.
I mean, why move to Fresno when you could live in Flagstaff, AZ? (for example)

Last edited by coyoteskye; 04-17-2010 at 06:56 PM..

Old 04-17-2010, 06:17 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,083,480 times
Quote:
Probably the first thing to consider is that you will probably end up in an area a 2 to 3 hour oneway drive to the beach. Not too far for a weekend but makes for a stretch for a day visit. Even the Inland Empire will be about 1.5 to 2 hours each way to the beach.

The tradeoff is the inland areas like Fresno and Bakersfield are close to great outdoors areas in the mountains (something Texas doesn't have on the same scale).

Health care jobs are a growth area, particularly in the Central Valley like Fresno and Bakersfield. Depending upon the specific skill set someone with experience might find a job. But also be aware how many others are applying right now.

Bartending and sales jobs will probably be tougher. If you can add some extra skills/knowledge or things like management experience to the application that will help. It will still be tough but it will help.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:24 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,023,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
None of those areas have particularly good schools
Nita, I love ya, but that's SO WRONG...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California