Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 AM

434 posts, read 848,822 times

Advertisements

California has its own website for companies leaving for greener pastures. Be sure to look at the link for the entire list. Some interesting stories on why companies leave.

Web site notes companies that left California - Jan Norman on Small Business : The Orange County Register
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
California has its own website for companies leaving for greener pastures. Be sure to look at the link for the entire list. Some interesting stories on why companies leave.

Web site notes companies that left California - Jan Norman on Small Business : The Orange County Register
Does the number of companies leaving California or does the rate at which they leave California correlate with unemployment? Or, are these not big contributors? Or, are the people leaving CA with those jobs?

I remember when Hughes Aircraft (now Raytheon) left Canoga Park for Tucson and those jobs left California. Lockheed used to be big in Burbank then I think they went to Denver and/or Georgia, maybe Texas, (I forgot) so those jobs disappeared.
My friend worked for Nissan in Torrance(?) and now he lives in Nashville so his job and he relocated.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:56 AM

434 posts, read 848,822 times
The website says that the equivalent of ten Toyota plants leave California each year. That's a lot of jobs. We should be attracting companies to California rather than sending them away.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:27 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Same issues as NYC region or Detroit or Cleveland or Phila or Bos...high taxes and anti-business ethos and crumbling infrastructure, poor public schools&services, despite abusive taxes and overpaid gvt workers

Any well-run company needs to maximize profits for its shareholders...and be based in a place that attracts talented, productive, well-paid workers

In a globalized, virtual era (ironically much of tech for this mobility was created in CA), many high-income (and low-income, low-skill) jobs can be done more efficiently in suburban Dallas than in suburban PaloAlto

Perhaps a few 1000 top engineers and execs "need" to live/work in PaloAlto area...doesn't economically justify the ~38MM people who now live in CA

And smart, hungry, esp younger workers figure out for selves whether they have skills to get a well-paying job in any region and can afford to live there comfortably...and make own choices: no one has a birth right nor is forced to live anywhere

Darwinian process...free markets will sort it out faster if welfare and government don't distort process to try to create a communist France out of CA and NYC (and MI, etc)

Old 04-01-2010, 09:58 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post

Nothing about that surprised me. During the 12 years I worked in politics and legislation for the state I can't tell you how many times I heard those reasons and warnings expressed during committee hearings in the Senate and Assembly. The Business Roundtable, the Chamber of Commerce and others were constantly testifying, trying to stop what they considered job killing legislation from being passed. But the unions also got their say in the hearings and the Legislature consistantly sided with them. The state of the state's finances is the result.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 04-01-2010 at 11:11 AM..

Old 04-01-2010, 10:48 AM

364 posts, read 610,943 times
We don't need no stinkin businesses. Only need public transport to the nearest government office where they pass out the checks.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:56 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post
We don't need no stinkin businesses. Only need public transport to the nearest government office where they pass out the checks.
If that wasn't so true it would be hilarious.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:02 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Yes California, continue to bend over for the powerful unions and the enviroMENTAL nazis, and by all means, continue to accept the mentality of a sanctuary state. Morons.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:09 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yes California, continue to bend over for the powerful unions and the enviroMENTAL nazis, and by all means, continue to accept the mentality of a sanctuary state. Morons.
Whatever your beliefs on this topic, I have to say I find it TERRIBLY offensive to diminish the true horrors of what real "Nazis" did (systematically murdering millions of human beings) by using it to describe people that believe in protecting California's environment/landscape.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:38 PM

364 posts, read 610,943 times
Germany in the 1930's was largely facist and so are intensions of the left in this country at present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California