Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 AM

15 posts, read 44,155 times

Advertisements

We will be in Reno, NV the first week of May and are planning on driving over to Los Gatos, CA to visit family. This is our first time in NV and CA, so I'm looking for any tips on sightseeing and driving hazards.

The only places on the schedule right now are Lake Tahoe and Yosemite.

All suggestions are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,936 times
You could do something of a loop.
After visiting Lake Tahoe and when you're ready to leave the area, get back to Truckee, head down 80 through Sacramento and then take 680 down to San Jose (it's very easy to miss 680 ... be alert), and then down into the San Jose area ... connect onto 880 and head for Los Gatos.
If you want to avoid the San Jose late afternoon / evening commuter traffic leave the Truckee / Tahoe area early enough ... by noon. I like to get to San Jose before 3:30 pm but not later than 4 pm as i can't stand sitting in traffic.
When you leave Los Gatos, then make your way to Yosemite and when you leave Yosemite, head back to Reno but via HWY395. This will take you north but on the eastern side of the Sierra and it's a beautiful drive ... eventually up through Carson City and onto Reno.
That's a "rough sketch" of how i'd visit those 3 places you mentioned.
And depending on how much time you have, you may want to head over the hill (HWY17) and visit the coast / Santa Cruz county and if you really have some time, take HWY1 south and visit Big Sur ... it's worth the trip ... about an hour and a half from Santa Cruz.

Re: connecting to HWY395.
You'll drive up into the high country of Yosemite (not to miss after you've explored the valley) and then over Tioga Pass and come down on the eastern side to connect to 395.
I think that Tioga pass will be open (usually toward the end of May) when you travel but do check to see before you make travel plans.
There's an 800 number (on that map below) to check for road closures, etc..

Yosemite National Park Vacation - Yosemite Vacation : Yosemite Park

Reno to Los Gatos Roadtrip Suggestions-395map.gif

Last edited by coyoteskye; 03-24-2010 at 11:18 AM..

Old 03-25-2010, 11:33 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Years ago in early Spring we took the train (BART) from Oakland to Reno & back. Lots of FUN & Beautiful Scenery (Upper Observation Car). "Leave the driving to them".

Old 03-29-2010, 06:37 AM

Excellent suggestions! I'm checking into all of them. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2010, 05:52 PM

405 posts, read 1,346,393 times
Maybe cruise through Napa once you're west of Sacramento... then down through San Francisco and on to Los Gatos. Hwy 101 is more 'historic' for us Californians but I think Hwy 280 is faster and a bit more scenic.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:50 PM

Back from the trip and it went more like this:

We started in Los Gatos visiting family. They took us over 17 (I think) toward Monterey. We went to Point Lobos park and walked some trails. This was my first time seeing the Pacific, and this seemed like a pretty darn good place to start http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa244/krstfarris/DSC01309.jpg (broken link)

We also went through the mountains (on 101?) and went over to Big Basin park to see the Redwoods. That's the one thing in California that my husband wanted to see, so he loved this part. http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa244/krstfarris/DSC01339.jpg (broken link)

We visited the Testarossa Winery in Los Gatos. Then it was time to head north.

We went up 280 to San Francisco--accidentally. We meant to take 5 toward Sacramento and ended up smack downtown in what looked like China town. We finally found our way over the Bay Bridge and headed toward Sacramento. I wouldn't want to make too many mistakes like that one, but hey it worked out because we were travelling REALLY early (we live on Eastern Time), so we made it through before rush hour. We got to see the Golden Gate bridge!! That was a nice mistake, right?!

I thought the Sacramento area was really beautiful. There was such a nice contrast of flat land next to the mountains. And I have to say at this point that you guys must have some major traffic fines because the whole time driving on the interstates in California was pleasant--even in the cities!

We took 50 out of Sacramento toward Lake Tahoe. This is my favorite picture http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa244/krstfarris/DSC01362.jpg (broken link)

Our next stop was Reno. We really didn't see much of the city because the reason we were there was to attend a horse/ranch roping event, so we spent the next 2 days in an arena. I liked the mountains around the city though.

We headed back over I-80 to Sacramento to fly out, and I don't think I have ever been so sick of driving down a mountain! LOL WOW! It was beautiful though. We enjoyed seeing the snow because it's rare where we live.

So that's my report from visiting your beautiful state for the first time. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 05-06-2010, 03:56 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,936 times
Wonderful and great photos!
Next time > Big Sur and Yosemite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California