Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 03:51 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Hmm, I don't know if a study has ever been done on this but I have noticed, and this is purely anecdotal, that Californians with linkage to the East Coast fare a lot better than natives with generations in CA. A lot of the upper middle to wealthy people I've talked to in LA have familial connections to the East Coast. It reminds me a lot of South Florida.
That hasn't been my experience because, for the most part, the native, multi-generational Californians in my area of Los Angeles County are largely descended from Midwestern, Southern and, to a lesser extent, Southwestern traditions. FWIW, they are all very successful.

If I lived on the Westside or in the Valley, two areas that have a high Jewish population with familial connections to the East Coast, then I'm sure my perspective would be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 03:56 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
That hasn't been my experience because, for the most part, the native, multi-generational Californians in my area of Los Angeles County are largely descended from Midwestern, Southern and, to a lesser extent, Southwestern traditions. FWIW, they are all very successful.

If I lived on the Westside or in the Valley, two areas that have a high Jewish population with familial connections to the East Coast, then I'm sure my perspective would be different.
That's proly what it is, it's mostly on the Westside and the Valley closer to the 405.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:39 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Quote:
The Valley of course has a high Jewish population and in fact some of my very best friends are Jewish. One I'm thinking of grew up here, no accent, and another spent his first 20 years in "uppa" New York state, been here most of his life and he too speaks neutral at least California style. Rest of the Jews I've met, same thing, no accent. They've been here their whole lives. No accents.

Quote:
That's proly what it is, it's mostly on the Westside and the Valley closer to the 405.
What what is?

Another interesting subject to add to the topic, what states or areas of the US have the least accents, or even totally unaccented English?

Old 04-25-2017, 04:39 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,555 times
Quote:
Yeah, I was careful NOT to replicate my South Florida experience when I moved here.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:44 PM

So Bert, just how are the accents... back East?

Old 04-25-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I was careful NOT to replicate my South Florida experience when I moved here.
Yes half my family on my dads side lives in South FL. It reminds me a lot of Westside LA.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
What what is?

Another interesting subject to add to the topic, what states or areas of the US have the least accents, or even totally unaccented English?
It's nothing big, just that a lot of the transplants on the Westside of LA have roots to the Northeast because a lot of Jewish, Italian and Irish transplants from the Northeast moved into LA. The history is a lot like South FL. Many moved for entertainment, real estate, various.

You ever notice how in movies of the 70s and 80s, when there is an LAPD or SFPD cop they have a NY accent? I always wondered about that when watching movies set in LA in the 70s and 80s. I thought wow, a lot of Angelenos have Northeastern accents. I think it's the migration of people from the Northeast to the LA area to work in entertainment.

You know the anti-Semitic myths about Jews "running" Hollywood? Well, what they don't tell you is that the second biggest group of people "running" Hollywood are Italians. The only connection is a lot hail from or have roots to the people from back east. That's all it is. Jews don't "run" Hollywood, people from the east coast do.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:20 PM

Well all can say is that I'm glad I was born without the anti-Semitic gene. Some of my best friends and academic competitors in high school were Jewish, many of them, and they were tough competition! Competing with them made me a better student, and I'll always be thankful for that! We were the academic clique. Probably nearly 100% of us went on to college. And my college degree launched my career. Everything I am and everything I have started in those days. I am a very fortunate man.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:35 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Christina El Moussa is a good example of the Southern CA accent.

You don't hear it until you're away from it for awhile.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:41 AM

Who? (proverbial question) Naming media personalities is no help to those who don't know the particular names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California