Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 02:46 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,734 times

Advertisements

Consider Arroyo Grande, Nipomo, and Paso Robles on the central coast.

AG would put you about 5 minutes from the beach. Nipomo would be about 10-15 minutes and Paso would more like 45 minutes. Nipomo and AG are almost always between 65 and 70 temp wise and the area is stunningly gorgeous. All your amenities are there so if you don't need to be near a big city I'd highly suggest it.

Last edited by NYMTman; 08-30-2009 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 02:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbianco View Post
Forgive me all- I'm new to this really. I guess some of you needed more information?

Temecula seems like the perfect place! As you point out- it's within 1 hrs drive to the ocean, it's near amenities, it has the climate I'm looking for, and it's affordable. Thank you!

To be more specific, so that I might get more suggestions-
My wife is in the same line of work as me, so she can take her job with her as well.
I'd like to keep rent near 1500 for a 3bd 2bth house.

Thank you all so much for trying to help me
Temecula does sound like a place that should work for you.

Nita

Old 08-30-2009, 02:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Temecula does sound like a place that should work for you.

Nita
My only question is whether rents are that low there.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Let me suggest you go to Rental.com and search Temecula as well as other locations you may wish to explore that meet your criteria in terms of distance from the beach. Then research the locations that seem plasusible. Look at places such as Santa Maria, Fort Bragg, Eureka (some areas) Crescent City and the environs of those.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
My only question is whether rents are that low there.
I know, it will be hard to find a 3 bedroom rental in a decent neighborhood almost anywhere that will meet the OPs criteria. I don't think people realize how expensive CA still is, but Temecula is a little better than some areas. It is worth a shot. I agree with Curmudgeon, the best way to get an idea is realtor.com or actually renter.com

Nita

Old 08-30-2009, 06:34 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
I suggest that you scour this forum for threads that list people's favorite towns and cities. Collect a hundred names and then take these to realtor.com or craigslist to get an idea of what the rentals are going for. You'll be able to rule out a lot of places just on cost alone. Then check climate for each place through accuweather or similar website and tripadvisor for "things to do" for each town or city.
When you whittle your choices down to half a dozen or so, take a trip out and have a look around these places. Keep a "B list", just in case you don't like the surprises of the reality.
The only way you'll really know is when you're here in person.
Personally, I don't like Temecula, but yours and others' mileage may vary. It may be heaven for you; too frickin' hot and dry for my tastes.
I'll just add that Google Earth can give you some great views (including street views) of almost everywhere out here. Google images can also show you photos of downtown areas and attractions.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:37 PM

7 posts, read 30,254 times
Thank you all very much! I can't believe what a tremendous tool this is. I'll definitely be spending more time on this site.

By the way, we did search some of the suggested rental sites and found the ranges to be more around 2k, however we did find a couple of homes for 14, 15, and 17k. We also found a real nice 4bd 3bth home in a place called Liv Oak for 1500, but it looks like it might be quite a to the Ocean?

Old 08-30-2009, 06:58 PM

514 posts, read 765,306 times
Snort is so right...there are tons of good places in the state. San Diego County is quite affordable right now and San Diego is one of the 2-3 safest big cities in the country. Don't let the nay-sayers discourage you. CA is still a terrific place to live. We came here in '79 and it was the best thing to ever happen to us...and still is.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:05 PM

214 posts, read 1,084,378 times
$1500/mo will get you a 1500-2000sqft 3 bed 2 bath rental in a good neighborhood in Temecula or Murrieta.

classifieds - craigslist

Old 08-30-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
Snort is so right...there are tons of good places in the state. San Diego County is quite affordable right now and San Diego is one of the 2-3 safest big cities in the country. Don't let the nay-sayers discourage you. CA is still a terrific place to live. We came here in '79 and it was the best thing to ever happen to us...and still is.
There are some parts of San Diego county that may seem affordable but not very many, not for $1500 a month.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California